TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:36 pm 

EDIT 2 on the Timing: I've had to advance it up again past the 20 range as it is consistantly bogging down when accelerating from a dead stop. Once it gets to about 10 kph all is well. With the timing set at the 20 range it accelerates normally, reasonalby anyway. It might be time to bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic. I hate it but it may be the way to go. I think mechanically I might just be batting out of my league :blackeye: . There apparently was some black smoke (ie alot) while running the timing in the 13 range so perhaps it just likes it on the high side.

On a happier note I found a little mod about removing the Throttle Body Bridge. I haven't notice a difference but considering how the car is running I may not until things are running well. I'll pop a pic up in the morning :ez_zzz:

The car still isn't throwing much in the way of heat. I made a point of really cleaning the heater core well when I had things apart so now I'm wondering if its a water pump, thermostat maybe. I would think if either of those were kaput I'd have issues with overheating though, not being to cold yet as it is here. Curious :huh:

And just an opinion on the 4 point harness on the seats. Definately locks you in the drivers postion. Good for racing, less so for day to day driving. Things like leaning forward to the glove box or picking something that fell off the seat onto the floor are now an issue. I don't have the freedom to move around the cabin as before. Plus short runs are a bit of a pain as every time you jump in to go somewhere it's the equivilent of putting on 3 seatbelts, not just one. It's definately a better feeling in situations like hard cornering though. All in all I'm happy. If it gets to be an issue my understanding is that there are retractors availible for the 4 point shoulder harnesses as well. Something for later :)

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

Last edited by incorrigible on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:44 am 

your cam timing may be off by 1 tooth, I believe retarded 1 tooth will give these symptoms (bogging/low power at low RPM), and advancing the ignition timing may be partially compensating. double check your timing marks, and be sure to rotate the timing belt through at least 2 rotations by hand, and check it again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:01 am 
Suzuki Elder

valve timing off was my thought, too. it may also be causing the low heat problem as well.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:17 am 

It amounts to blatant false advertising but she liked them so we ordered them of eeeeebay for $25 to our door. I suppose the pressure is on to find a DOHC for the swap. It may be the only way to get the damn motor running well. Got fed up and took it to a mechanic. The cat was plugged bad so we pulled it which gave me the opportunity to run the exhaust around the front sway bar(the rattling was driving me around the bend :buzz: . Aside from that he said the compression was good, timing was good, sensors were good, but it still floods and chew gas like an Abrams tank.

As an afterthought when I placed on the door decals I really noticed how much they were out of alignment. The fix was to loosen the two screws on the door hinge and raise them a bit to change the alignment. Not sure if this is the correct procedure over the long term but it's working for now.

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:06 am 

So I'm officially at the end of my rope with the gas guzzling. We're talking about 220 km/tank (about 140 mi).

So I gave up and took it to a AAA approved import car mechanic. 2 weeks later he checked the timing, compression, valves, tps, map, codes and changed the spark plugs and wires (I presume just to say he did something). He claim it was fixed so before I paid him I requested a test drive and it ran worse than when I brought it in. He work on it for another 10 day and then admitted he could't find the problem. He charged me an hour for the spark plug wires and gave up.

So I then took it to Fountian Tire ( a respected and approved Auto shop locally). After they checked the tps, map, timing, valves, compression and several other checks(the list was long), changed the O2 sensor and gave up... they charged me an hour for the O2 sensor and sent me on my way. He indicated thier technician had been in conference with other mechanic on the net and none of the checks worked. Apparently mechanically it is sound. Yet it floods like a tsunami, especially when the revs aren't up. its like there is no or little control on the fuel supply. If it was carborated I'd say it was the choke. I've changed the carb and every sensor I could see that was attached. A bad computer maybe?

The final insult is I broke down to take it to Suzuki, however they won't touch it as its too old for their technician. I won't go into my thoughts on that... its a family board.

So any thoughts from the mechanical buddas out there on what would cause the level of flooding I'm experiencing? This one has stumped the pros who had their hands on it so I'm keeping my expectations realistic but you guys are my last hope. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:18 pm 

The car looks great, I am sorry to hear about your fuel consumption been so bad. I am putting together my GTi engine this next January with a friend who knows a lot about injection. He has helped me with problems with the injection on my other car, I will talk to him about your case and see what he has to say. Maybe after he help me with mine he can give provide some ideas on yours.

Cheers

E.

Honda Pilot EX 4WD 2006
Honda odyssey EX 2013

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:18 pm 

Looks Great Mate...even if you are from Edmonton!!! (turn to the Right and spit over shoulder). Just kidding, you have done an amazing job. :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:39 am 

Sweet Mary, Jesus and Joseph... my prayers have been answered.

On a whim I was sifting threw some sites and found my a spanky, new-to-me, 1990 GT for $500 for a GT swap. Hopefully this will solve the gas issue (new drive train and computer), foglight switch (currently missing), low heat (one extra cylinder makes more heat right?), brake porportioning valve for the rear calipers (should be even now) and undoubtably many other doodads that I've been missing.

If there is a god in heaven even a/c and cruise control.

I have to admit I'm rather fond of the auto transmission :( but it'll be a small price to pay. Hopefully the swap isn't overly involved. We just sold our house and went condo for a while so now I am sans what little garage I had. Oh irony, why do you mock me so :razz: . Just have to knuckle down and find a way to make it work. Hopefully the payoff is huge. Might even make a call to TurbineTech in "la belle province" to see what goodies would be availilble to me now 8) ...

Last edited by incorrigible on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:57 am 

its a little more involved than just a ecm&powertrain swap;tranny mounts are way different,auto cars dont have standard tranny mounts,let alone going from a 3cyl to a 4cyl;driveshafts are different again,being equal length&larger diameter on the swift,wont fit convert knuckles/bearings.

remove ENTIRE front suspension from gt,unless you just want knuckles.it can be swapped,dont worry;just need time tomake sure you remove EVERYTHING from donor car,and that may include cutting off some mounts for the swap,wiring harness

i bought a smashed 5 door pontiac firefly auto that someone converted into a turbo 5-speed.at first i thought they just dropped a factory turbo motor in the car but the person that did the job ALSO changed it from auto to stick shift.cut all the mounts from the turbo car,mig welded them into the 5-door.they did a really good job,looked like factory.

dont worry,it can be done!oh,is it a gt or gti?GOOD LUCK!

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:35 pm 

blueturbofly wrote:
its a little more involved than just a ecm&powertrain swap;tranny mounts are way different,auto cars dont have standard tranny mounts,let alone going from a 3cyl to a 4cyl;driveshafts are different again,being equal length&larger diameter on the swift,wont fit convert knuckles/bearings.

remove ENTIRE front suspension from gt,unless you just want knuckles.it can be swapped,dont worry;just need time tomake sure you remove EVERYTHING from donor car,and that may include cutting off some mounts for the swap,wiring harness

i bought a smashed 5 door pontiac firefly auto that someone converted into a turbo 5-speed.at first i thought they just dropped a factory turbo motor in the car but the person that did the job ALSO changed it from auto to stick shift.cut all the mounts from the turbo car,mig welded them into the 5-door.they did a really good job,looked like factory.

dont worry,it can be done!oh,is it a gt or gti?GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the info, and I'll take all I can get on this one. I'm way out of my comfort level on this one. If you've read through the thread you've heard me repeat "I am no mechanic", just cheap and stubborn :mrgreen: . I believe you're correct in that the best bet is to just drop everything from the GT donor and put it into the vert. I'm just really going to miss the auto is all... :( . It's to bad there's not a way to make it work with the 1.3L... I wonder if there is a good auto made for the 1.3L?

Not sure if its the gt or gti (it is a 1990 for the Canadian market if that helps) but now I'm curious if there is a difference?

Smashed eh... I can empathise. I originally built this for my girlfriend. Now that I've put all of this work into it, and cognzant of how she treats her vehicles, I kind of don't want to give it to her as it'll just get destroyed,; either slowly by neglect or by her driving habits. And then I'd go to jail, and I don't want ot go to jail :razz: .

Decisions... decisions...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:19 pm 

i tried to load some pics,but it doesnt seem to want to work,keeps saying file to big,even after i crop them :huh:

suzuki swift GTI-1.3 twincam 5spd,bigger sway bar on front,4wdisc brakes,power folding mirrors,sometimes a/c,sunroof,little creature comforts.at least the one i stripped out 3 years ago was loaded like that(but no a/c)

the last turbo i stripped out(24~25 of dec 2010) was a shell when i was done.only the windshield was left.wife and i picked it up,set it on trailer,went to scrapyard.totally rusted out,thanks to saskachewan(?)flintstone style,no floorboards or subframe left.

bought a 92 geo in EXCELLENT shape on christmas eve,going to build a rust-free turbo clone.same issue,swap auto for stick shift,change ecu,wiring harness,etc,etc,etc :shock: big job,but i'm up to the challenge.then i will have 2 blue turbos 8)

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:35 pm 
Suzuki Elder

if you are running windows, just use the photo manager to reduce the size to 640 x 480. that's the perfect file size for the teamswift server to upload, display and archive.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:06 pm 

You really should pop out and take a look at what I have. One car you might be interested in is a complete 89 gti with AUTO transmission and rebuilt engine. Perfect car for an Auto swap into yours. I could supply you with all you need to have a strong gt engine and auto trans in your Vert project.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:47 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i've always thought that a gti vert (automatic) would make a super highway cruiser.

i liked our gti auto and it got relatively decent mileage at around 36 mpg. it was a strong runner and i liked the highway gearing as much as i liked being able to drive while i was eating a hamburger. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:58 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
i've always thought that a gti vert (automatic) would make a super highway cruiser.

i liked our gti auto and it got relatively decent mileage at around 36 mpg. it was a strong runner and i liked the highway gearing as much as i liked being able to drive while i was eating a hamburger. :wink:

Part of taking on a project is knowing your skill set and delegating/outsourcing when required. As such I have 'delegated' the 1.3 auto swap in Cricket to Codyb76. I went out to his acerage and its a little slice of Swift heaven. Clearly this man has forgotten more than I'll ever know on the mechanical end of things so I'll let the doctor perform the surgery. He has a great shop with a lift and all the equipment required to perform an excellent job swapping in the 4 cyl auto. We're looking forward to the results! If he lets me I might try and sneak down and learn something as well. I wish I could have found him two mechanics ago :razz: .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it sounds to me like you're going to be pleased. it's always a bonus to be close to a good metro doctor. :D

and seriously, the autobox twincams have pretty good performance and the auto handles the engine's torque quite nicely.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
it sounds to me like you're going to be pleased. it's always a bonus to be close to a good metro doctor. :D

and seriously, the autobox twincams have pretty good performance and the auto handles the engine's torque quite nicely.

We chatted for a bit on the differences between the auto and the 5spd for a bit. I'd never heard of the 1.3 auto before a week ago so with big size 13 flippers like mine its a great option having just the two pedals, as long as one isn't too hung up on the performance end is my understanding. And I get to keep eating my hamburgers as well :D

He mentioned that the auto had a little lag by comparison out of the chute as compared to the standard, however once it was up and out there wasn't much of a difference, and great commuting/hiway manners on top of that. We chatted how he'll mill the head and check the rings (the donor was blowing a bit blue, but to be expected after over 20 yrs and a few kilometers) so in many respects it will be just what we wanted; and sporty-ish convertible, economical commuter for some long drives to and from work.

I'll have to do some sifting through the threads to see if a 1.3L Auto swap has been done into a vert to see if I can glean some tips and tricks. If I've learned anything its research is king when doing this kind of thing. Once this is complete(cody mentioned it'll be 'by the time the sun comes out' or 'when the bears wake up' or some other cheeky Canadian reference to spring by the time I'll get it back :mrgreen: ) it'll just be the stereo and then I'll call this one in the can... just a measly 4 yrs from the start in '07 =)

Last edited by incorrigible on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:03 pm 

dont worry,you will NEVER be done...... :-P

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:49 pm 

Did you get to see my project??? My converted GT (AKA "Derp") currently being dealt with at Cody's "Swift resort & spa". Tell me when you're going out there next and maybe I can manage a road trip for the day. It's cool to know fellow enthusiasts.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 pm 

mightbegiant wrote:
Did you get to see my project??? My converted GT (AKA "Derp") currently being dealt with at Cody's "Swift resort & spa". Tell me when you're going out there next and maybe I can manage a road trip for the day. It's cool to know fellow enthusiasts.

I did not, but I'm on the lookout for it now. Yes sir, Cody is quite the Swift-master out there in the country. I kind of envy him in a lot of ways. There were a few pieces that if it was a pick'n'pull I'd have loved to get my grubby little fingers on like a set of oem power windows. Just have to keep my eyes open in the local.

I believe Larry mentioned a road trip once the tops can come down this spring. I want to head out a few times during the process to pic up a few tips. Hopefully when the head is back from machining and Cody's ready to take her under the knife I'll get a heads up and we can both go out and learn something from the Swift Budda;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:04 pm 

Got to see the Cricket on Saturday when I went to work on my Swift. Gotta say it looks delightful in person. I noticed you have the "Kal-Tire Special" rims going on there too :mrgreen: You picked a good person to work on that car. I regret nothing when it comes to dealing with, and working with, Cody.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm 

mightbegiant wrote:
Got to see the Cricket on Saturday when I went to work on my Swift. Gotta say it looks delightful in person. I noticed you have the "Kal-Tire Special" rims going on there too :mrgreen: You picked a good person to work on that car. I regret nothing when it comes to dealing with, and working with, Cody.

Indeed the man been a godsend so far. I originally went out to buy one of his GT's but after surveying the operation the man was clearly and eminantly more qualifed to perform the swap. I don't think he wanted to take it on originally but like any artiste when there's a challenge in performing something different it peaks the curiosity, and I don't think there's too many GT auto swaps out there... maybe for a reason =)

Suffice it to say I have far more faith in this mechanical aptitude than mind.

Now that the Cody love-in is over... Yup, dem be Kal specials. And if the wife stops running into curbs with them they might even last a while :-P . When I say its a vert build on a the cheap I do my best to ablidge (except for Cody... he'll be worth every red penny :D )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 pm 

might have to hit him up for a few parts myself....damn metro isnt running right

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm 

Been run off my feet lately! Repair shop is overtaking the Suzuki building business lately. Got call from machine shop, cyl head is machined and ready. Haven't had time to get much more done, but donor car is in the shop ready to donate all that is needed. This will be a fun project, I can't say how impressed I am with everything that has been done so far, it looks super sharp.
Had a good time in the twin cam converted swift of mightbegiants, it really pulls hard, made me wish my 95 had dohc instead of 16V, they sound so damn good!
Blueturbo you should def bring yours by, I have yet to ride in a done up turbo, only close to stock in the last little while! Might be trouble, it'll make me want to get a 3tech package for the turbo waiting to be done in my yard! I was going to buy that metro you have, it looked wicked in the kijiji ad, I can help you make it run right I'm sure.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 pm 

Just a quick update from Cody's Swift Spa, Resort and Rehab Centre...

Heres an update, attacked it hard since I got back. Removed both mounts from donor car, and welded, bolted them to your car. Didn't expect that they would both have to be different, cursing Suzuki for overcomplicating this! Engine and trans are now sitting in car, minus cylinder head.
Cleaned and painted engine compartment, last of yelow paint is all gone, looks really neat and clean now.
Massive wire harness swap, this evening discovered that even the harness that runs all through the dash is different, so changing that over now to. The bonus of some of this is that you wanted the swift style lights and wiper controls, and factory fog light circuits are all in place now. I will need to splice in the heated seat wiring and such to the gt harness.

I dont think I got back to you on the braces. I think the lower brace is a must have(EDIT... on Cody's suggestion I had one shipped directly to him from TubineTech), aluminum would work fine I think, but your call. I honestly have no opinion on the other braces, they won't hurt but I can't say how much they are needed. I think the fact that it is a vert makes them slightly more desireable. Totally your call.
The turbo kit would be crazy fun, and would not hurt mileage much I don't think. the car would approch "stupid-fast" at this point, and be a wild ride. I have a Gt mustang and have been thinking about turbo-ing my swift, at which point it would be quicker than my mustang, as woud your car be!

I have a couple little nagging things I would like to do with the car after its up and running that I think will tune it up a bit more. The rear sway bar needs to be dropped a bit, it is touching the trunk and makes noise, and also contacts the exhaust flange by the muffler. I can sort this out, rattles and such makes a modified car feel worse and gets annoying over time as well.

I'll take some pics when I down to visit, hopefully this weekend... the wife can't wait... Woo hoo!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next