TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 pm 

Finally. Test drove the car tonight for the first time. It was slow, dead slow! Took a look at everything, then got a friend to sit in the car and put the pedal to the floor. The pedal stop was adjusted way up, so the car had maybe 50% throttle opening. Second drive, much better :) Car pulls nice, feels solid solid and quick.
Scratching my head a bit on this one: the alignment, mostly toe, is now massively out of whack. This has to be from the gt spindle swap. I don't quite understand why the spindle would change the toe that much. From past experience most of the time changing a spindle doesnt change thing to much on these cars. I have alignment machine, so its not a big deal, just seemed odd.
Still lots to do, hook up exhaust etc, but its great to see progress, and a mobile car again!

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:22 pm 

I just struck me that I never followed up on the build...

We wrapped it up in the late summer 2011. There'd been a couple small mechancial hiccups that should be expected with any 20 year old car... timing and a caved fuel pump, but otherwise a nice grocery getter!

Now that its finished and ready for her to drive she's playing the "I don't feel safe because it doesn't have airbags' card. I told her I respect her descision and would be happy to drop her off at the bus stop in a new little vert it looks like I'll be driving from now on :twisted: . Curiously, now she seemed to be ok with driving it :lol:

I don't think I'd do another one... too much work... but it was nice to rescue one from the wreckers.

To wrap up it started with this rust bucket... don't get me started on this POS

; Image

To the newspaper vert (black, white and re(a)d all over :lol:

Then swapping in goodies to the almost nil rust, low mileage parts car from tooswift;

and ended up here about 3 yrs and more that a few skinned knuckles and beer later...

There's a few things I think I'd still like to do... projector headlights, a proper sound system, red suede seats from and Acura Intregra Type R, a car starter... the list is long and I try not to think about it too much :mrgreen:

However the base is solid, and it's suprising how many looks it gets... which makes the wife happy as she's likes all that vain stuff :-P that and the personal plate with her pet name on it :razz: It'll be a keeper now.

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

Last edited by incorrigible on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 pm 

Nice work on the car. Verrry jealous...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:09 pm 

When I get derp back up and running we need to go for a cruise.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 pm 
Suzuki Elder

that's my favorite gt/ vert conversion. :D

i'd like to see some close up pics of the roll loop construction, how it's connected to the b pillars, the tonneau side pieces in operation (for clearance) and how the top is erected and stowed.

i told you when you built that bar that i'd buy one from you. :wink: if nothing else, it makes a fantastic mount for 5 point safety harnesses.

the kriket gets 2 thumbs up from me. :ez_pimp:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:58 pm 

Wow....absolutely beautiful! I love the bar behind the seats! Excellent work!

Photo Album Squishy: From Start to Finish
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/squishycar/
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/squishycar

CUSTOM SHIFT BOOTS: http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/uam ... id=507&p=1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:50 pm 

The suns finally warming up so I tossed in the stabilizer bar to tie the shock towers together. Hopefully it helps when working with the Tubine Tech lower brace that went in when I did the GT conversion originally. The head gasket blew on the original G13b and the wife never said anything effectively torching the mill. So $3K and another engine later hopefully that portion of the work is complete for a while. The "new" engine had only 125K km on it as opposed to the previous one which was over 250K as I recall, that and it had other work done so I'm hoping no issues for a while. That and new timing belt as long as the mill was out, a new radiator as the previous one was pretty rotten. Seem to run well but fuel economy is kinda poopy... about 250 km/tank... I was hoping for better.

Also took an afternoon last weekend and blasted the valve cover of all the chipped paint and gave it a coat of VHT red krinkle valve cover paint. For 12 bucks a can it seemed like an easy way to make the engine bay pop a bit ;)

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i really do like that car. :wink:

i wish i could talk you into building me one of those hoops for me. it screams "hotrod" and "fast" like nothing else. :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:51 am 

Nice Ride , very sweet :D

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:52 pm 

SWEET roll bar - did you make it?