TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:12 pm 

It looks Cool....in Black. Where were the Phots taken Mexico? :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:28 am 

Its a conversion and the pictures were taken in El Salvador central america.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm 

Here are my two little convertibles. I picked them both up this summer. The white one was intended to be a parts car, but it's too nice to hack up, so I'm planning to do some fixing on it, then sell it. The red one is in the middle of being swapped to a turbo 3/5 speed. both are 3 cylinder/automatics from factory. I'd had a few hatchback geos and fireflies in the past, but really started to like convertibles when I had a turbo lebaron. The firefly is a great convertible, but it needs a turbo to be awesome!

Honorable mention: 61 ford falcon money pit, 90 5.0 Lincoln LSC coupe with emotional attachment, supercharged teal 99 F150 for carrying firefly parts, and a black turbo volvo wagon with a dog gate to use every day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:48 pm 

and the progress on the turbo swap, going nicely so far. Too bad this car was originally an automatic, or it'd be stupidly easy!!!

Honorable mention: 61 ford falcon money pit, 90 5.0 Lincoln LSC coupe with emotional attachment, supercharged teal 99 F150 for carrying firefly parts, and a black turbo volvo wagon with a dog gate to use every day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:54 pm 
Island Inbreeder

streetvan1 wrote:
and the progress on the turbo swap, going nicely so far. Too bad this car was originally an automatic, or it'd be stupidly easy!!!

Stettler Canada.??

nice keep posting pic's of your vert turbo swap I know its been done before but it's very cool to know peeps are still doing it today :0

.....QUESTION did you have to remove a hump in the tunnel on your Auto vert to fit the Stick shift link in the car .?
.....jv&s

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:58 am 

Yes, Stettler is in Canada! Alberta, to be exact. I moved to Calgary a while back, but haven't bothered to change it. I don't have a shifter yet, so I haven't crossed that bridge. waiting on parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:12 am 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
streetvan1 wrote:

Stettler Canada.??

nice keep posting pic's of your vert turbo swap I know its been done before but it's very cool to know peeps are still doing it today :0

.....QUESTION did you have to remove a hump in the tunnel on your Auto vert to fit the Stick shift link in the car .?
.....jv&s

hey streetvan1 , i suggest to create a new thread on your turbo swap. i and others would be interested ! :-P

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:11 pm 

Attachment:
car1.jpg
car1.jpg [ 12.63 KIB | Viewed 5603 times ]
added another one to the ever-growing fleet of suzuki variants that are out there.......

drove it home...good top,good glass,new tires,cd player,clean inside,not all chopped up.
body needs a little bit of tlc.(sat under a tree for a few years)
p.o. told me that the seals had dried up in the oil pan,making the engine smoke :huh: his mech also told him that it takes longer for a 3cyl to circulate the engine oil as compared to a v6 or v8, that could make it smoke :huh: upon checking the oil i new the problem instantly-WAY OVERFULL :shock:
change oil&filter,flush rad,new wiper blades,fresh gas with seafoam,seafoamed engine.drove it home.shifts great,good power 1st 2nd 3rd but as soon as you shift to 4th it would chug and lose power.....back to 3rd,rev it up and it would drive as normal,but bog in 4th...
check engine light came on just before i got home,but turned off when i turned the corner to my house...... :?: looked under the car once i was home,and the cat convertor was bright red.the way the car was running i thought to myself "plugged cat" and that might be true! oh well!

dont know if its a keeper or a seller yet.....

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

Last edited by blueturbofly on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:54 pm 

I will totally do a thread on the turbo swap - as soon as it's all done, and working! Honestly, the hardest part of it all so far is the auto to manual swap, the turbo part seems easy! I started with access to a whole donor car, so it's gone pretty smoothly so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 pm 
Suzuki Elder

streetvan1 wrote:
Honestly, the hardest part of it all so far is the auto to manual swap......

i remember telling myself that right before i swore i'd never do another auto to manual transmission swap. :lol:

i do like your turbo3 vert. a 3 cylinder engine, turbocharged, open car - i'm a sucker for that combination.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:29 pm 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
jonathan180iq wrote:
I'm back in the game. I sold my '94 coupe 5 years ago to my cousin, who is still driving it by the way, and I just picked up a '91 Vert 5-speed. It has 150,000 on the clock but just had a whole bunch of work done. It's basically a new car under the hood. I'll post some post-washing pictures this evening, but here she is:

.LOve The Colour
My latest

OMG, I looking for a Swift hatchback Cabrio in Puerto Rico and here are more :/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:30 am 

I purchased this 93 Metro convertible two years ago for my daughter. It was "totalled" according to the insurance company and I got it for $600. Just a little rear end damage which I easily fixed. New exhaust, stereo, and a fresh rebuild and it's purring like a kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:20 pm 

Why does everyone who has one of these convertibles say "oh, it's for my wife/girlfriend/daughter"? Mine is for ME, and I'm comfortable saying it! Haha. Just makin fun ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:29 pm 

Because guys don't drive purple cars.

Ken....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:40 pm 

Rustoleum Safety Yellow, rolled on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 pm 

Just got done doing some work to the good ole daily driver 91 vert..

New parts include
-CV-Boots
-Brakes
-Extended wheel studs with Aluminum lugs
-14 inch rims with 185/60r14 Falkens
-Dual tip muffler off my project Swift exhuast (the stocker broke on me)

Chris Smith

Down to one car and no suzuki's :(. Maybe I will get a gixxor :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:48 pm 
Suzuki Elder

ol' blue

red resto-rod

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm 

Two verts....Legit! I need to get on the ball and buy me a new top for her and install it asap!

Always loved that light blue color on the verts, when I first learned to drive a 5spd (at 13 hehe) in this geo back in like 2002 it was the original color then my grandma got it painted and wanted the darker blue...Maybe I will undo the color change one day =)

Chris Smith

Down to one car and no suzuki's :(. Maybe I will get a gixxor :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:45 pm 

This is my Chevrolet sprint (now suzuki swift GTI), Still a few electrical gizmos to work on and a new muffler.

Attachments:
File comment: she is mostly a swift 1990 now.
IMG_6204.JPG
IMG_6204.JPG [ 134.26 KIB | Viewed 5259 times ]
File comment: A little bit different of a paint style
IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6209.JPG [ 111.36 KIB | Viewed 5259 times ]
File comment: My two verts
IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG [ 238.19 KIB | Viewed 4906 times ]

Honda Pilot EX 4WD 2006
Honda odyssey EX 2013

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:13 am 

Pics of my vert :mrgreen: .

Attachments:
P1010017.jpg
P1010017.jpg [ 91.92 KIB | Viewed 4868 times ]
SUZUKI_008.jpg
SUZUKI_008.jpg [ 79.1 KIB | Viewed 4868 times ]

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 pm 

After 2 years building this for the wife from the ground up she didn't feel safe driving it because it didn't come with airbags :shock: :huh: . So it became my second car... I had to much blood invested to buy her another.

So when she finally drove it when I was out with the Jeep it turns out she had so many friends and strangers stopping to ask her about what kind of "new" car that was she has become oddly enthusiastic about driving what has now become "her" car. Women... =)

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

Last edited by incorrigible on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:29 am 

incorrigible Great looking vert! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:43 am 

Attachment:
Optimized-20141204_151838 (2).jpg
Optimized-20141204_151838 (2).jpg [ 35.95 KIB | Viewed 3856 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:15 pm 

Oh hello. This thread seems rather North America heavy, so let me add something from Youroop. :D

So I ended up buying one for roadtrip purposes last summer with a German friend of mine. And being Europe, it's a Suzuki Swift. Basic sohc 1.3 with a manual and grey leather interior. Just after purchase:

We had a long trip ahead with it, so wind deflector was installed for maximizing top down action.

And as the car was bought for cheap(ish) and as a bit of a joke, it got some important mods as well.. :mrgreen:

And so, what followed was 17 days and 5700km through Eastern Europe, visiting 10 countries on the way. Well, three more for me, as I set off from Finland with my friends, before meeting the Swift for the first time in Slovakia. I fell in love with it instantly, so I decided that I'll keep it if it survives the trip, which it did of course, being one of very few cars in the group without any major issues.

Few pics from along the way. You might notice it gained some "upgrades" along the way in the form of some more stickers and some plasti-dip (inside joke, that).

First contact in Slovakia

At Transfagarasan, Romania

And then to Croatian coast. Not that our car selection was random, or anything..

Final destination of the "official" trip was Nürburgring. Managed 9 laps, even with occasional rainfall (not driving there when wet) and massive amount of crashes throughout the weekend. No good pictures from the track, so this will have to suffice.

Especially when driving at the track, one has to wonder what they were thinking with that gearing. Here's some video of me scaring an Audi driver(passenger), with 68hp and desert gearing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, after the trip, car stayed in Germany still, for easier access to some Alpine driving, if/when I have time. I'm more 70s/80s BMW guy, so the ease of modification struck me with this, and in January I happened to come across a GTi engine and gearbox, which aren't too common here. Engine wiring loom was missing though(anyone have a spare -91 loom?), so engine swap is still pending, but we put the gearbox in at least. The car has been trapped in a garage the whole winter, as someone thought it's a good idea to start repairing a roof mid-winter.. Roof is finished now apparently, but the scaffolding blocking the garage door is still there. Sooon, I hope. :)

Quick picture of the underside, after the gearbox swap. Pretty good condition for an old Japanese car.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:13 pm 
Suzuki Elder

nice, thanks for the video. :wink:

the twincam will really wake that old vert up. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next