TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:04 am 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
Is this car still for sale
Thanks for sharing here on Teamswift

That's funny, I don't care who 'ya are.
Just a thought, too bad there's not a 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' for comments. That was a two thumbs up! :lol:

T3, you do know there's a Team Swift member that not only does great work on Distributors, Transmissions and most anything to do with metal, he also does a nice job on alternator rebuild/customizations? You need it fixed right, from 'sick' virus infected computers to muzzle breaks to just about ANYTING for your Metro, I go to him first.

The mark of a truly lazy man, is they guy that does it right the first time so he never has to mess with it again.

'91 'vert with factory 160 hp 13B two rotor, Very clean RX-7.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:58 am 
Suzuki Elder

fainya has already contacted me via pm, offering to rebuild the alternator.

i was hoping to just buy a replacement to get my vert running again and instead of turning the bad alternator in as a core, having it rebuilt by my local guy who i have been doing business with since 1980. there's no shipping involved that way. :wink:

my regular routine for sunday morning is to listen to "a prairie home companion" on national public radio from 10 am until noon and to drink a pot of coffee. it's almost noon so i'll be heading out to see what damage i can do. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:19 am 
Island Inbreeder

Here it comes........

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:33 am 
Island Inbreeder

t3 ragtop wrote:

phil, the glass is just like oem glass only without the years of blasting and settling. the safelite glass has the black edges and the little dot matrix fading. you can order glass with the upper edge tinted or without tint. mine is non-tinted.:

So No tint.?
Before the new windshield was installed
did it look like ........................................TTTHHHHIIIISSSS
No Tint.!
Image ImageImageImage

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:36 pm 
Suzuki Elder

yer big on swingin' sticks today, bud. :-P

i mowed my acre and then started painting the front spoiler, rockers, and rear spoiler on my mercedes with bed liner finish.

no work on the red vert until the alternator comes in on the 27th. :blackeye:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:53 pm 
Suzuki Elder

a few years ago while i was collecting parts for my red resto-rod vert ptoject i picked up a swift saloon grille. that grille has horizontal bars instead of the bee hive look of the gt grille.

i popped it on while i was fiddling around.

the lower covers on the front and rear bumpers and the rocker panels were looking faded, the original bits on my mercedes. i masked things off and painted them with rustoleum truck bed liner, the same material i used to restore the trim moldings on the red vert. it looks better now.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

having pretty much neglected the red twincam vert all season some powder coated parts have rolled in. metromightymouse did a bunch of suspension bits - bushing clamps, smaller brackets, the 3 brake and fuel line covers on the bottom of the floor pan, a gt hood latch, and 2 sets of assembly components.

the hot red throttle body with silver vein bits looks sweet.

the coil mount assembly in hot red looks great, too.

i had built the car using a cold galvanized gt hood latch which never looked bad, but this one done in silver vein will match the other powder coated parts under the hood.

the valve stem on the rear right wheel has rotted giving me a flat tire. since one has died i'll replace all 4 valve stems. somehow it doesn't seem right that this one dry rotted in only 3 years. :evil:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:33 pm 

Looks great Rich :D

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:59 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Glad to see your back on this .....you go Carrot King ......jv&s
I just did this some thing some thing

Oh fuq I forgot to cover my Licence plate with my finger....My Bad.!

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:45 pm 
Suzuki Elder

scott, the last pic posted to your gallery was 2010 so i can't view any of your other pics for this mod,

share, bro. one mystery pic of the completed mod is just a teaser. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:09 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i spent pretty much this whole saturday replacing some ugly pieces with prettier powder coated parts. this work was put into play about a year ago, it was just today that the stars aligned right to finish it.

ugly suspension bushing clamps.

pretty suspension bushing clamps.

pretty brake and fuel line tunnel covers/

ugly calipers.

pretty calipers.

the hood latch turned out nice. what i had before didn't look bad but this one matches everything else.

this is a work in progress, a place to start. i'm sure it will evolve or die.

tomorrow i'll install a new set of tubular rear toe bars, the fresh rear sway bar bushing clamps, and bolt the wheels back on. i resprayed my lug nuts black to freshen them up and they should be dry by tomorrow.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm 

Richard, did you lube the hood latch? I'm not finding anything in the FSM about that; just removed and cleaned mine...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:59 pm 
Island Inbreeder

the killer of more windsheilds to hood contact then Suzuki would admit....looks good though
I would trust my Exwife with my debt card with pin number before I trust this little dude.....Ask me why.!

t3 ragtop wrote:
suprf1y wrote:
jrjd wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:01 pm 
Island Inbreeder

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
Glad to see your back on this .....you go Carrot King ......jv&s
I just did this some thing some thing

Oh fuq I forgot to cover my Licence plate with my finger....My Bad.!

.I'm gona throw you a bone

t3 ragtop wrote:
suprf1y wrote:
jrjd wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:00 pm 
Suzuki Elder

where's the bone, scotty? you just posted the same 2 pics. :-P

i can guess what you have going on there but i want details, lighting product links, and pics of the working bits. :lol:

brad, i did lube the hood latch using a synthetic spray grease. when the latches get loaded up with dirt and get sticky that's when you have problems.

there was a recall campaign on the hood latch but it had more to do with the hoop on the hood getting floppy when the thin steel on the hood cracked. suzuki added a stiffening plate at the top on the hoop that got bolted in.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:18 pm 

that's what I did, too, but it doesn't seem like it would provide much in the way of lubrication.

[quote=i did lube the hood latch using a synthetic spray grease. when the latches get loaded up with dirt and get sticky that's when you have problems.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:00 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i just had this morning to get anything done to the red twincam vert and while it might not seem like a lot i was able to finish up and get the car back on the road in about 5 hours. now it was 5 hours at about 85 degrees f and 90% humidity which had biting flies out by the squadron.

the reason my time was short was that i wanted to accompany my kid to a local festival where she was playing fiddle for a new gospel group. usually it's bluegrass but this gospel was just 2 small jumps to the left and then a big jump to the right. =)

my tubular rear toe adjusting links were about 3 seasons and were due for a little work. i had a spare set laying around that i had set up with full rubber boots to help keep road grit out of the heim joints.

i use heavy wall t6061 aircraft aluminum tubing and first quality spherical bearings to build these. they work great on my suspension, look good, and lighten the sprung weight from the oem units. the 2 key points with these is that it takes about 15 minutes to adjust the rear toe without jacking the car up. i can reach under the car and use a 19mm open end wrench to loosen the right and left hand threaded locking 1/2 nuts, roll the tubes by hand to open or close the links' length and read the toe with a tape measure from the center line of the car to the center lines of each tire.

the oem flat stamped and rubber bushed will not hold the rear toe setting in hard cornering maneuvers. they flex and cannot hold your alignment settings when you absolutely need the car to be the most stable. these links will not flex and they will maintain correct rear toe settings under the hardest cornering. the car will slide sideways before these babies will flex.

here are the red calipers with gray silver vein powder coated caliper brackets and the black silver vein rims.

you may notice the center caps on the suzuki 7 spoke rims. cami man donated those to my cause several years ago and i did them up in the same vinyl wrap i used on the hood. i think this finishes 4 seasons with that vinyl film fake carbon fiber out in the weather full time. if it makes 6 years the cost breakdown will be $6 a year!

and here's a little audience participation piece. this is my second treatment for the intake manifold adornment. do you guys like this better than the first one?

here's number 2.

this was number 1.

i still have the clutch cable bracket to install which will take about another 15 minutes without having to jack the car up. i'll leave that for another day.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:29 pm 

Looks great Richard :D
That's what I like little details . :D
That carbon fibre wrap is very durable to last this long and look that good .

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:37 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i bolted on the silver vein clutch cable bracket, topped off the transmission oil, and filled up with 6.4 gallons of 93 octane gasoline.

i'm ready to get the red twincam vert on commuter duty. :D

i want to do a little maintenance on the slk 230 and re-finish the valve cover. my powder coater did a few bits for me in a red and silver hammer tone for it, the coil cover plate in the middle of the valve cover being the center adornment. i'll do well to get a couple hours in on that each day so it might take me all week.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:12 pm 

Re intake manifold cover plate choices

I'd have to go number 2. Oh crap. . That came out wrong.

=)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:33 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the white decal is #2, the chrome emblem is #1. =)

i'm leaning towards the cleaner look of the white decal but all that is still a work in progress. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:00 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i have continued to work on the red twincam vert, it's an on-going project car, a toy, and it always will be in a state of flux.

today i added the carbon fiber upper timing cover to match the plug well cover on the valve pan.

last week i was fiddling around and i found my little box on miniature 3 digit volt meters. i whittled on one of the speedo bezel aux switch covers to mount the little volt meter and then hard wired it into the fuse block. that replaced the volt meter i was using that plugged into the cigarette lighter.

since i took that pic i have moved it's position to the inboard blank cover.

over the weekend i replaced the wife's car, a 2008 chevy aveo5 with it's current model, a 2015 chevy spark.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 pm 

Nice new ride!

I've always though that the Spark's headlights were as big as its wheels.. (The better to see you with, said the Big Bad Wolf to Little Red Riding Hood!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:05 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the day after we took delivery of the car i drove the family to my parents farm, just under 190 miles round trip. the return leg was run well after sunset with a 20 mile stretch of hilly, curvey, and dark country road.

the headlights are excellent, almost as good as my red vert's headlights. :-P

there is a delay when switching the lights from low to high beams and back like there's a timed relay for the action. it was pretty wierd getting used to that, though. i felt as though i hadn't tripped the lights but after a couple second delay, they'd change.

the speedo is a standard analog looking section of the dash pod but the tach is built into a blue high intensity flourescent display along with the fuel gauge, miles to empty, a selectable odometer readout, and other warning lights i have not yet observed. the seat belt warnings are located under a little hood in the center of the dash, and the radio is mounted in the center at the top of the console and it has all the sound system controls on a 6" touch screen panel.

the constant velocity transmission is a trip. you push on the gas pedal and the engine revs shoot up to almost 4,000 rpm and hangs there while the car's speed increases when you back off on the pedal, the car's speed sort of stabilizes and the engine rev drop down. 70 miles an hour on cruise control had the engine running around 3,400 rpm. when the car hit a 1 or 2% grade the rpm would pop back up to around 4 grand. it's like they identified the point where the engine develops the best torque while the transmission selects from an infinite speed range to transfer power. then when the controls sense the engine load falling off the computer runs the engine speed down to meet the minimum cruising demand.

the only similarity i can draw from is that it feels like a snowmobile. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:04 am 

I really like that horizontal grille (although my vert has the standard metro nose); also, I'm considering painting that upper radiator support the same red as the body color--have you considered that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next