TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: 91 Red Vert Resto-rod
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

after a long winter's slumber under blankets in my driveway, i got pop's old red vert out today to begin the rolling restoration. i open my garage as a ritual on the first of april but i got a jump on things this year after a very mild and nearly snow free winter.

the first order of business was to track down the gas leak that the car had when i put it away last fall. i waged fair battle with rusty bolts and crunchy fuel lines and managed to drop the gas tank without too much trouble. the source of the fuel leak was a badly rusted steel line, the dual steel pipe assembly that's screwed to the top of the tank. i had a replacement ready that i had dragged out of the garage, buzzed up on my wire wheel, and prepped with rust encapsulator and gloss black paint.

i found a giant mouse condo on top of the tank, a remnant of having been stored in my dad's barn off and on for many years. as you may know, mouse piss is one of the most corrosive agents known to science and having been a rodent outhouse for a long time, all the keepers for hoses that were welded to the top of the tank were rusted off.

while i was scraping and wire brushing the top of the tank i found all the spots where the butyl coating was loose and even located several pin holes where the coating had held pockets of mouse piss against the steel. i used a dental pick and found all the holes, mixed up a couple small wads of jb quick, and laid in several small patches. then i coated any tightly bonded surface rust with eastwood company's rust encapsulator and let that bake in the sun until everything had cured.

then i turned my attention to the floor pan above the gas tank and started scraping and wiring brushing that down to clean steel. it really wasn't all that bad. i found a few places where seams had held water and cleaned that all out. surface rust - no holes. i hit everything i could see with the rust encapsulator and got out of there.

the fuel filter and mounting bracket were one solid rust ball. i hammered a 10mm socket on the first bolt and gave the ratchet a good yank. i expected the m6 bolt to snap but was surprised that backed it all the way out. the rear bolt was a different story. the 6 point socket neatly rounded off the bolt head and i was dead in the water as far as getting the filter and bracket off. i got out a small pry bar and bent the bracket away from the frame rail as far as i could and then worked it back and forth until i finally got the steel to snap right next to the bolt. good riddance to that piece of shit!

i cut a length of high pressure 5/16th" fuel line to bypass the oem fuel filter and bought a new fuel filter that will fit the fuel line under the hood between the steel line on the firewall and the throttle body. no more hassles trying to lay under the car to replace a fuel filter. :wink:

i left the car with it butt up in the air while the rust encapsulator cures for 24 hours and put away my tools. the last thing i did as day light was slipping away was to coat the top of the gas tank with undercoating and then i made a run to the neighborhood hardware store to pick up 4 stainless steel m8 x 1.25 bolts with big flat and split washers to bolt the tank back up with.

first thing tomorrow morning, as soon as the dew burns off, i'll top coat the rust proofed floor pan with red paint before i raise the gas tank back into place. once i have that all buttoned up and the new fuel filter installed, the car will be ready to roll again.

my plan is to drive it with the stocker engine to work everyday while i do a rolling restoration. i can do whatever welding needs done and all the other stuff in the evenings after work and on weekends but my goal is to use the car while i'm doing the work.

no pics today because it was mostly grunt work and there was nothing really interesting for photos. i'll try to shoot some pics tomorrow before i dive back into more grunt work.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 pm 
Island Inbreeder

It didn't happen without a picture.!

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 pm 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
It didn't happen without a picture.!
Like a tree falling in the forest... if someone fixes up their car but no one takes a picture, did it really happen? J,V&S says no, no it did not. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:50 pm 
Suzuki Elder

man! this is a tough audience!

i guess i set the precedent for photo-documenting my projects so here we go on this one.

where i left off last fall was after fixing rusty brake lines i started driving pop's old red vert to work but it had developed a fuel leak which got worse every day. i parked the car for the winter and covered it up with tarps to keep rain and snow out of the cabin.

i've got plans for this little guy so planning ahead, i put together a new fuel door with a gt fuel pump, got a new steel fuel line assembly ready to go, and even scared up a new fuel door gasket.

you guys know the drill. i lifted the car and fought rusty bolts to drop the tank.

i cleaned up the floor pan above the fuel tank and gave it a coat of rust encapsulator with a top coat of red.

i hauled the fuel tank out from under the car and did all my work on my outdoor work bench. i detailed the work in the post above so i won't go through it again. i got the tank back under the car, ready to put it back in place.

a trip to my neighborhood hardware store got me new stainless steel bolts. i puckied them up with never seize so that if i ever have to drop the tank again i won't get so frustrated.

tank back in place. i took this pic before i shot the bottom with fresh rubberized undercoating. it looks better than this pic shows.

since i jerked the oem fuel filter and bracket off the car (what a stupid place to locate that to start with) i added one under the hood which will be way easier to replace.

since i plan on driving this car with the normally aspirated g10 while i fiddle with the body and chassis, i wanted my signature mods to carry me to the turbo3 swap. here's a pic of the air cleaner base plate location.

in the base plate there are holes on either side. the hole towards the left side of the car got the iac sensor, the hole of the right side of the car got the valve cover vent hose.

once the air cleaner was assembled and the vent tube was re-routed, the finished dealio looks like this.

my past experience with this induction set up with a 2" free flow exhaust has turned out some pretty good running normally aspirated 3 bangers. on this one and in preparation for the turbo3, i'll bump the exhaust cross section up to 2.25" once i get to that task.

there's your pics. :-P it really did happen! :lol:

it's pretty cool today so i put the charger on the battery and i'll go for a drive later in the day to shake things down. i'll roll to the gas station and put some $4 gas in it. tomorrow i'll start a new battle with rusty bolts and pull the front and rear bumpers off so i can get the mk2 gt parts on the car. jv&s is hooking me up with side skirts so i'll wait for those to get here before i paint all the new body parts on the car. a warmer, less windy day will be better for that anyway.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:09 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Ah.....now i can sleep
so now your going to seal them up tight and drowned the shinny new bit's in petrol
Your a sick...sick man (:s)

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:50 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i rattled through a pile of stuff in the garage and came up with a decent mk2 rear bumper cover set and got busy stripping the old rear end off the red vert.

of course i ran into this - times 13!

one of the four screws holding the tail lights on popped loose pretty easily, the other 3 took an impact driver and repeated blows with a 2 pound ball peen hammer. 3 of the 12 bolts holding the bumper covers on backed out with a socket, the other 9 snapped off and required drilling and tapping. about 5 hours later i had the rear end hauled off.

i cleaned the cobwebs and garage grime off the white lower mk2 gt cover and the yellow bumper cap, did a quick wet sanding, and gave them a pretty good rattle can paint job.

i spent another couple hours whipping the naked body and bumper support back into shape. i wire brushed all the scale and loose paint and rust and used that great eastwood company rust encapsulator on the bumper support and doped up the surface rust on the rear valance panel. i also painted the outside of the trunk well while i had it exposed. everything cleaned up really well.

i have stainless steel cheesehead screws and suitable stainless flat washers to re-install the fresh covers after the paint has overnight to dry. i'll slather the threads up with never seize so that the next time i have to remove the bumpers it won't having fighting for hours.

next weekend i'll tackle this end.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 pm 

Brings back nightmares of the Squishy car, as I got to do a lot of the deconstruction. I hated the rusted screws and bolts!

Looks like it's coming along awesome! :-)

Photo Album Squishy: From Start to Finish
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/squishycar/
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/squishycar

CUSTOM SHIFT BOOTS: http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/uam ... id=507&p=1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:59 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got a late start today. it was my birthday so i slept in a few hours, my little gift to me. :-P

i had a hole about the size of a dime just off the back of the right rear wheel well that i filled with jb quick yesterday - yes i did! jb quick to fill the hole. :-P

i mixed up a tiny wad of bondo first thing this morning, really hot so it would set up fast and smoothed it into the dimple that was left after the jb quick cured overnight. the bondo was hard enough to sand after about 10 minutes. i gave it a fast shot with several grades of sandpaper and a quicker shot of rustoleum sunset red paint (which is a near perfect match for the factory paint.)

i started bolting the bumper covers on, mostly using stainless steel m6 x 1.25 cheesehead screws and flat or body washers appropriate for the position of the fastener.

i like the look of the mk2 gt bodywork on the verts. the red resto-rod vert looks better.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:41 pm 

Wow Richard looking Great....I love what you've done. I'm going to go to the local Sandblast Pit in Calgary next to Pick & Pull. It's only $20.0 for a 1/2 hour all the sand you can blast. Should clean the bottom of Snow White down to the metal so I can repaint her. I think I'm going to give her to my Grandson he goes to College next September. I'll have to drive my other ride until I can finish the Blue Vert that needs a Left 1/4 Panel. Ok so it's not a Vert but Holy Crap it goes!!!!! :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops:

Attachments:
Z06 Orange.jpg
Z06 Orange.jpg [ 522.88 KIB | Viewed 10201 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:10 am 

Hello guys,

T3, well done for the details on those pics. I am still working on getting mine running, I get my car to misfire but no farther than that. I think I am having some issues with the fuel pump (not enough pressure) and with the injectors as well (I got to check if I am getting enough spray effect on them). Engine cranks really well, I got good spark, time is fine on the engine (verified that several times), time is fine also on the distributor (checked twice). I am going to be playing with that a bit more this long weekend, chances are I might end up buying a brand new fuel pump, but we will see.

Larry, that is one very fine ride. I like the color... I bet that thing spins the wheels big time... I will have to stop by your place to check it out, I will make sure I bring my new convertible toy. I also want to finish the vert, I want to be able to see that extra GTI power on it soon.

Guys have a great long weekend and stay in touch!!

Monte

Honda Pilot EX 4WD 2006
Honda odyssey EX 2013

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 am 

Loving the taillights!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i've been doing things right along on the red vert to get it back up to snuff. i had gone through the brakes last fall to get it driveable but i just did the mechanical part. i pulled the tinkertoy wheels and tires off, painted the calipers, rotor hats, and rear drums in matte black and broke the suzuki 7 spoke rims and kumho tires out of the garage. i had them powder coated for the blue vert but the color works pretty well on the red car, too.

keeping in mind that i'm trying to use the parts from my garage to outfit this old machine, i had dug out a grant steering wheel and repainted the trim in red to match the car. i also found a leather stitched razo shifter knob to fit the resto-rod theme.

i liberated a g13 flywheel and daikin/ exedy clutch disc from the garage and i have a new g13 clutch kit in the pile that i'll drop in when i have a free weekend. i need to keep driving the car to work through the week so anything i do from here on won't take the car out of service for more than 2 days at a time.

i've also been sanding away at the mk2 gt front bumper from the garage parts pile and the side skirts that j,v,&s sent for the project. it turned kind of cool, windy, and rainy, more seasonable for the time of year in ohio. i'll keep driving the beast to work until i get time to do the things i have on my list.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53 pm 
Suzuki Elder

whenever i get a couple of minutes of free time, i pull this gt bumper out of the pile and sand on it to get it ready for paint. it got colder so i haven't had a chance to do much painting for a week.

at 127,800 miles, the clutch is all but shot. it engages when the pedal is all but at the top and it makes me nervous to run things that close. since the weather was favorable this evening and the forecast for friday is good, i took friday off work to r&r the clutch. i rattled around in the garage when geo glenn and scoobs were up last weekend and found a g13 flywheel and a decent, slightly used exedy clutch disc. the flywheel had a pressure plate and the friction disc bolted onto it and it was pretty rusty just from sitting in the garage. i sanded the flywheel down a little and after i got some rust off it i could see the machine marks from the last grinding job. it's really not as bad as it looks in the pic so i'm bolting it in. i have a clutch kit i was saving to use on my new turbo3 project so i'll use the new pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing on the normally aspirated engine to get me by while i'm building the turbo3 project engine. i'll find new parts for that project.

i decided to get a head start on things so i got the car lifted, the wheels off, and began pulling things down. rust! damn! some bolts came out fine, some bolts fought me all the way, and some just broke. it was just my luck that all 3 of the left side transmission bracket bolts snapped right off. i'll fight with those again tomorrow.

i stopped just before it got dark to clean up and get my tools put away. all i have left to do is lay the knuckles over to get the axles out, pull the rear mount, pull the starter, and pull the bolts out of the transmission bell and i'll have the transmission on the ground.

geo glenn was telling me about his new, antique ultrasonic cleaner and that prompted me to dig mine out. i tossed a bunch of greasy parts into a bath of hydrocarbon swill and clicked it on. i hadn't used it in about 15 years but it ticked right up and within 5 minutes the solvent looked like strong coffee. i'll give it a couple hours, fish the parts out and buzz them up on the wire wheel. they'll be ready for paint then.

when i put the engine bay back together the car will get a new fabricated aluminum 2" core radiator, a 1600 cfm hi-flow fan controlled by a spal pwm fan speed controller, new hoses, and a sprinkle of stainless hardware. since i have the front struts halfway out of the car i'll install a new pair of kyb gr2 struts and see if i can get the junkyard swaybar mounted. i'll also try to get as much rust proofing and touchup done as i can while i have the transmission out of the way.

i don't need the car until monday so i'll have a couple days to get things done.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:38 pm 
Island Inbreeder

oh no I hate to bring the bad news.....
but you got to pull that clutch back out ...
look at that flywheel it has been externaly balanced...... for something other then that 1.0 your putting it on
your going to get some vibration out of that......
because you don't know how the fly wheel is balanced or which why it goes on?

back in the day the dad and i did one of his sprint with a flywheel off another suzuki car
to up size it like your doing and it had a slight vibration to it we lived with it for a few 100rd of miles then off'd it
the "G" engine is internaly ballanced

not all "G" family flywheels are the same
here's some pictures (these are all "G" family flywheels everthing form early G1.0 to late G1.3
the first picture is off a G1.0 (note no balance holes)
the one on the end that looks like yours is a SSGT flywheel...........................................sorry man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 am 

If the engine is internally balanced and the flywheel is zero balanced then it shouldn't have any vibrations though :huh:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:52 am 
Suzuki Elder

thanks for the heads up, scott.

i'll run the flywheel up to my machine shop first thing this morning when i go to pick up my new turbo3 project block and have them check it for zero balance. it shouldn't take them very long to toss it on the balancer. i'll throw the friction disc and pressure plate on it and let them tweak the whole assembly.

it's 47* f out there now so it's time for me to hop outside and get to work. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 pm 

I hate being away from the metro scene up there, but when I see all that rust and cold weather I don't mind the long drive so much... 77 now with a high of 82 today :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:21 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i'm in for a break, eating some peaches and having a cup of coffee. the weather is lovely, sun and 60* f.

i got the transmission out and on the ground. the broken mount bolts are a problem. i can't get the bracket separated from the gear box. i was slapping it with a 16 pound sledge and the bracket seems to be rust welded to the bodies of the bolts, heads snapped off!

i looked at the g10 flywheel when i got it off and found the balancing drill points on the rear side of that. i looked at another one in the garage and it's the same. the machine shop says zero balanced, 2 tiny high spots on the face that won't amount to a pinch of shit. a couple ring gear teeth have their tops smacked, grinding machine marks are evident on the face - ship it! (to borrow a phrase from my buddy glenn. :lol: )

peaches are eaten, coffee is polished off. i have the new exedy clutch cover, bearings, alignment tool, and surprise, i found a new exedy friction disc in the box! i'm on my way back out for more mayhem, er, work.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:04 pm 
Suzuki Elder

what a day! 12 hours of thrashing on rusty shit!

here's the shop, a steel table top for a bench out in the driveway, jack stands, a big floor jack and a small floor jack, an air compressor in the garage with enough hose to reach the car, and lots of tools. you can see that i hauled the transmission out of the car.

one of the first things i did was to get the cleaned up rusty parts painted so they could bake in the sun all day. eastwood company's rust encapsulator is the shiznitz.

the clutch in the car was definitely on it's last legs. after i got the pressure plate and friction disc off for inspection, the pressure plate contact ring was grooved and rough from riding the rivets on the friction disc.

scotty had me all keyed up about flywheel balance. here's the rear face of the g10 and g13 flywheels. the balance drillings are on the reverse side on the g10. when i hauled it off the crankshaft i paid close attention to the position of those balance points and just as a precaution i mounted the g13 flywheel so that it's drillings were in the same position. also, the exedy pressure plate has an index mark on it that i lined up with the balancing drillings.

here's the g13 flywheel in place and locked down.

i found a nice, new exedy clutch set in the basement that i was saving for a turbo3 engine.

i absolutely could not get the damned mount bracket off the vert's original transmission and i wasn't keen on putting it back in the car with no bolt heads to secure the mount. i moved a pile of parts in the garage to find a couple of transmissions i had squirreled away. i had a turbo3 4.10 transmission but the speedo drive housing was fubar'd. there was a 93 hatchback unit that had one broken bolt. i used some "persuasion" on that to remove the bolt successfully so the vert got a 4.10 ratio gear box.

it's a bitch working by yourself. i had a hell of a time lifting the transmission into place, shaking the crap out it to wiggle it into place, and get a bolt in to keep it from sliding back off. i wasn't real impressed with the whole "swap in place" method. it would probably have been easier to pull the entire power unit and do the work with the engine and transmission out of the car. but it's done. the big stuff is back in the car and all the little rusty parts are cleaned up. all the bolts were slathered with never sieze so the next time any of that work is done it won't be such a pain.

tomorrow i'll be doing the r&r on the front struts, some internal rustproofing of the frame horns, and finishing up the clutch job. i want to pop some new output seals in the transmission before i fill it with synchromesh gear oil. also, before i refill the engine with coolant, i have to mount the new fabricated aluminum 2" core radiator, the new hoses, and pull the thermostat housing for a little custom work. the stock fan control switch will get pulled and the hole gets drilled larger and tapped for a thermistor type sensor to run the spal pwm fan speed controller.

wouldn't you know that i broke the rusty exhaust system right at the outlet of the catalytic converter when i dropped the engine down to pull the transmission. i may as well bolt on my front sway bar so i'll be able to see what i have to do with exhaust for clearance. i hope the rain holds off tomorrow because i will have to do some welding.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 pm 

Those trannys can be a real beotch. I get them propped up to where they are close and then take a 2x4 with one end sitting on the cowl for a lever and hook a strap to the tranny and lift up on the end of the 2x4 to slide the tranny in place. It takes all the heavy lifting out of the equasion.

Ken....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:35 pm 
Suzuki Elder

wouldn't you know that a crappy. rainy day would spoil my intended fun.

the work i did get accomplished was minor, but it kept me occupied. first, i found a break in the rain and was able to remove the thermostat housing. like everything else on this car, it was a ball of corrosion. 10 minutes on the wire wheel and i had it clean enough to work with. another 10 minutes on a flat piece of steel and 120 grit sandpaper got the mating flange surface flat and smooth.

the task was to remove the fan temp switch (center) and replace it with a 3/8" thermistor sensor (left) to operate the pulse width modulated fan speed controller. the sensor for the cluster's temp gauge is on the right.

i had to drill and tap the location for the fan speed switch to accept the larger diameter thermistor sensor. the threads had to be deep enough to locate the tip close to the business end of the t-stat without going so deep as to interfere with the spring.

i gave the housing a shot of flat black. it was a cold, drizzly day and lizzie was baking brownies so i set the part on top of the stove to cure the paint quicker.

while paint was drying, i mounted the high flow 1600 cfm 80 watt shroudless radiator fan with some trick stainless steel pins and pads to the fabricated aluminum 2" core radiator to get things ready to drop that into place.

i caught another break in the normal, cow pissing on a flat rock rain where it was just a constant drizzle to mount the thermostat housing, install the new radiator hoses, and get the battery back in place. that's where i stopped when the rain started back up again.

the forecast for tomorrow, sunday, is dry and in the 70s. i'll be up at the butt crack of dawn to get back at it so i can get the car put together and off the jacks. i'll run short on time so the front strut r&r will wait for another weekend when i'll do all 4 corners. the suspension on the car now isn't bad so it's no big deal. i'd rather get the fan speed controls together while i'm at that part of the deal, anyway.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:13 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i was up before the sun came up (like every other day) and i was in the driveway workshop getting the tools out as it day dawned.

the first thing i did was pop the axles back into the differential, flip the knuckles back up and shove a single bolt in each side to hold them in place. that rusty, beat hardware needed a little love so i chased the m12 x 1.50 threads.

lihtan's miracle pour hole is a super convenience. it beats the heck out of synchromesh running down your arm and dripping off your elbow. 2 bottles of pennzoil and a splash of marvel mystery oil. that's how i do it.

i cut spacers for the top of the radiator to keep the top tank from rubbing the upper radiator support and mounted it using stainless steel hardware. after the radiator was secured i trimmed the new radiator hoses and attached them.

i found a suitable mounting place for the spal pulse width modulated fan speed controller and ran the wiring. it's pretty easy to install, battery + and battery ground run right to the battery posts, a wire to a switched source that's powered with the key in the run position (i used the black/ white lead to the f1 relay) plus and minus to the fan, and a weathertight connector to the thermistor sensor.

adjusting the controller basically entails running the engine until the temp reaches your low speed fan temp and pushing a little button. then you unplug the fan and run the engine until it reaches your high speed fan temp and pushing another little button. you need a temp differential of at least 20* f between low and high. i selected 180* f and 200* f with a 195* f thermostat.

i pressed on to mount the sway bar i had assembled from a pick and pull special, a 22mm front bar, new end links with prothane donuts, and 22mm prothane bar bushings.

a sway bar never looks as good as it does as soon as you hang it. the ugliness creeps up on it from there. don't let the rust put you off, it's not that bad and i'll be on that like white on rice as soon as i get the welder fired up for the summer. the exhaust work will be getting done next.

i also did a little work on my horn wiring. swapping a steering wheel on a vert requires replacing the wiring that gets removed when you snatch the clock spring off the column. i fabricated a wiper for the horn circuit slip ring on the hub adapter out of aluminum (i didn't have any brass) and screwed it to a post on the combo switch. it works like a champ.

the test drive was impressive. bolting a sway bar onto a vert works wonders for the handling. everything is tighter, the suspension, steering, ride. also, the 4.10 ratio transmission make the acceleration feel different. it'll take me a bit to get used to the gearing.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:25 pm 

My squishy car got it' rear sway bar yesterday and holy crap it makes a HUGE difference! Your car is looking awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:07 pm 

good to see you back, Jeepgirl..
I take it squishy is behaving herself?

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:35 pm 
Island Inbreeder

t3 ragtop wrote:

lihtan's miracle pour hole is a super convenience. it beats the heck out of synchromesh running down your arm and dripping off your elbow. 2 bottles of pennzoil and a splash of marvel mystery oil. that's how i do it.

Ah the elusive "lihtan's miracle pour hole"
the rest of us pull the speedo housing and that how we does it
..........jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
suprf1y wrote:
jrjd wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next