TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:24 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:37 pm 

Any one every replace the "Top Header Seal"? Had looked at one at a junk yard last year but it looked like it was part of the windshield seal. I have a tear on the drivers side at the top of the mirror mount. Also need to replace the "Front Bow Header Seal". I have seen some on eBay for $35.00, but don't know if this is a good price? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 pm 

If there are no chunks missing you can use 3M rubber adhesive (the black stuff for bonding rubber to rubber. Not the yellow, yellow is for bonding rubber to metal). A very small amount will bond the rubber together. A very thin coat to both sides and it will set up in a few seconds.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:50 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the rubber seal that runs across the top of the windshield and down the fronts of both a-pillars is quite expensive, on the order of $350. the medium density foam strip across the header isn't so expensive, $35 sounds about right. i bought one of those to put on the shelf for future use as the foam is degraded by environmental conditions, heat, and uv exposure.

search for an ebay seller <bowens> who has new stock listed for both of the mentioned seals. if you can find the suzuki parts group numbers for those items you can also order them directly from japan. the difficulty of that ordering process is a little greater but maybe less expensive. ordering the seals from bowens is much easier but a little more expensive.

pick your poison. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:43 pm 

Questions-Questions-Questions :huh:
Started to pull of the old top tonight and what interesting thing can be found. FYI replacing with a used top.
A.When replacing the rear track rail screws - lock-tite or anti-siege? B What thread size are those things? C. Rear track rail plastic washer - replace stock (plastic) washers with plastic, SS, Who cares? D. How dose the side tension cable attached to the header - screw or pop rivet? E. My top wore holes from rubbing on the rear bow where it steps down to a smaller size - anyone else had that problem and have a cool fix? F.The piece of the top that raps around the header - glue to the header as well as use the metal trim that screws to the header? Thanks you hurricane Arthur for the rain tonight, its just what I needed. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 pm 
Island Inbreeder

the cable .? screwed in the front on a spring in the back
Here's some pictures to help
Start from the back and work forward helps if you can lay out the top to let it relax before install
and the side "Pooch".?
Can be adjusted after top has been installed a few days (by the way of the SS trim piece) that is screwed vertical were it meet the back side of the glass edge both sides....jv&s

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=55822
Factory Video
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36146&p=434293#p434293

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:55 am 

Anybody recall what type of glue is used on the header?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:39 pm 
Suzuki Elder

my secret weapon.

they use that puckey to stick the lane reflectors to the highways around here. i only use thin beads at the header corners and in 3" or 4" long stitches across the header.

if you apply too much adhesive across the header it makes it really hard to pull off. minimal use of adhesive across the header allows you to detach and relocate the top in case it pulls wrinkles into the fabric as it shrinks. if you use the das adhesive, less is more. the stuff is awesome. clamp the fabric to the header until the adhesive sets up.

if you use the hartzz pinpoint vinyl, shoot for a relaxed fit, believe me, it will shrink and pull itself tighter.

if you use the stayfast or german sailcloth top, shoot for a tighter fit. it will loosen up as the car is driven with the top up. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:01 am 

Looking for the retainer clip that holds the tension cable to the pulley wheel.
Had one commit suicide by jumping - is now MIA and considered dead :cry:
Option 2 :has anyone made one that worked and willing to tell their story of how they survived loosing one of their own?
I fell your pain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36 am 

Can anyone explain these? My seals line up great at the front seal and in the corner. Are off (high) in the center 1/2 -3/4 inch in the center. My top seals have a lip on them which I'm assuming should match the widow. Same seal I pulled last year have not lip (yes they sound different - no lip). The only thing I know of adjusting that comes close would be my door and that inside bow adjustment but neither would solve this problem. I'd pull my hair out but I've tried that and it hasn't helped, just made me bald on top.

Attachments:
Left Seal Corner.jpg
Left Seal Corner.jpg [ 45.38 KIB | Viewed 1772 times ]
Left Seal Top.jpg
Left Seal Top.jpg [ 47.89 KIB | Viewed 1772 times ]
Right Seal.jpg
Right Seal.jpg [ 34.96 KIB | Viewed 1772 times ]