TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:02 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:02 am 
Suzuki Elder

i know, firsthand, the quality of parts that tom has used in his build. nothing but the best from the smallest bits to major parts. everything he does is very well considered and his attention to engineering details and execution shows in his pictures.

it would seem that heat soak would affect an air to air i/c just the same as an air to water system. the fact is that a fan on the air to water core to provide active cooling would help reduce heat soak somewhat. i'm surprised that it would be as noticeable as you suggest it is.

tom, what size heat exchanger did you use? electric fan on the heat exchanger? i recall the parts to be a 30 row radiator and a 7" fan.

i backed up my plan a little bit and will use a 12" x 12" x 2" heat exchanger on the i/c system to allow a larger volume of water in hopes that it will slow down the heat soak. i'll use the 30 row heat exchanger i originally spec'd for the i/c system as the oil cooler. the bigger i/c heat exchanger will get a 1600 cfm 12" fan and the oil cooler will run an 800 cfm 7" fan. both of those will get relay controls triggered by the megasquirt using the coolant temp reading set to around 160* f. that way the engine will use the additional heat to help get the coolant temp up faster before the active controls kick in. i'm hoping that by tripling the thermal mass of the i/c coolant it will provide better stabilization of the iat while the car isn't moving.

it's time for new pics. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:59 am 

chense, very nice build ! i wish i can be as good mechanic as you one day.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:54 pm 

Sorry to leave you in the dark for so long, but I haven't done anything mayor on the car. Just driven it daily and had some winter fun :D. Man the 4WD is like having super powers :mrgreen: in the wet and snow.

I did replace the head-unit with a car PC I've been building for years now. Will show it off, no worries.

bhan wrote:
Tom, very cool read, you really thought about everything. Have you dyno your Engine? Like to see the Results. Do you have any Video. Love to see it.

Except for a NA tuning session, haven't dyno-ed it yet. And I haven't really tuned it fully, just enough to get it reliable enough for day-to-day use (and except a burned out FI relay (my fault for not putting the COP coils on a separate relay) hasn't failed me).
I have to sort out the boost control properly, then do some more road tuning, and then I'll do a dyno session. Stay tuned ;).

TheSilverBullet wrote:
chense, very nice build ! i wish i can be as good mechanic as you one day.

Thanks!
And don't worry, when you're doing something for a while you're bound to get good at it. After 10000 hours or so, they say.

t3 ragtop wrote:
it would seem that heat soak would affect an air to air i/c just the same as an air to water system. the fact is that a fan on the air to water core to provide active cooling would help reduce heat soak somewhat. i'm surprised that it would be as noticeable as you suggest it is.

tom, what size heat exchanger did you use? electric fan on the heat exchanger? i recall the parts to be a 30 row radiator and a 7" fan.

i backed up my plan a little bit and will use a 12" x 12" x 2" heat exchanger on the i/c system to allow a larger volume of water in hopes that it will slow down the heat soak. i'll use the 30 row heat exchanger i originally spec'd for the i/c system as the oil cooler. the bigger i/c heat exchanger will get a 1600 cfm 12" fan and the oil cooler will run an 800 cfm 7" fan. both of those will get relay controls triggered by the megasquirt using the coolant temp reading set to around 160* f. that way the engine will use the additional heat to help get the coolant temp up faster before the active controls kick in. i'm hoping that by tripling the thermal mass of the i/c coolant it will provide better stabilization of the iat while the car isn't moving.

it's time for new pics. :D

I've sorted the "quick" heat soak by connecting the IDLE valve to the IC stream (was sucking underhood air before, and thus the IATs were wild in traffic).
The heat exchanger is roughly 650x200mm (25x8 inches), fits snuggly in the bumper, no fan on it yet:

Still getting 10-12 degC above ambient while cruising, up to 20deg C above ambient in city traffic, but with coolant leaks/some air still trapped in the system.

Good call on larger volume heat exchanger Richard, that can only be good. I've been thinking about a coolant reservoir for the water IC (I can only put about 2L of coolant in my system), but I'll get this running properly first, maybe fit a fan and see how far can I take it. I'm pretty happy with it as it is now 8), IATs stay pretty constant.

alexsan wrote:
goog job!!! phoenix swift! good upgrades!!

Thanks!

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:00 pm 

Impressive build, I'd love to get one of the AWD systems for my convertible :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:33 pm 
Suzuki Elder

hey tom, where did you go?

do you have that tractor done yet? :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:56 am 

Bump for an update on this monster....???

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:05 pm 

This has been my favourite thread, want more pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:49 pm 
Suzuki Elder

tomislav hasn't been on the forum for over a year and he hasn't opened the pm i sent him last summer.

i brokered several shipments of aftermarket parts for this project for him and his megasquirt system was the most advanced and involved i have ever seen. everything about his project was absolutely amazing and he used top quality parts throughout.

this project shows a very high attention to small details with an artistic flare, an incredible feat for a man who is only a hobbiest and not particularly an automotive professional or an electronics engineer.

chense and i spoke in some detail about this build with an emphasis on the megasquirt specifics. the guy has a brilliant mind. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm 

This was an awesome read. Much respect to the man. Inspiration is fueled up in my mind for my project. Not my skill level but it will work it's way up there hopefully.
T3, try to find him on facebook ?

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:36 am 

Hello all!
This is Bill. I am done with building a setup for my cultus, it's g13 doch/g16 block. :) Now I am looking firstly to do it turbo, secondly I am searching for AWD Tranny. I'll be thankful if anyone here can help me find AWD trany (Y)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am 

Hello!
This is Bill. Working on my G13(DOHC)/G16 setup. My first priority is to do it Turbo , secondly , I am looking for an AWD trany. I'll be thankful if anyone here can help me locate an AWD trany.

Secondly, can a g16b's crankshaft run in a turbo setup?