TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:27 pm 

I searched but only found info on the g10 cam/timing belt swaps.

Anyways I pulled the belt and the cams on the weekend after setting the crank pulley to 0 and the timing marks on the cam pulley's were also lined up.I pulled the cams and installed the regrinds with #1 lobes opposed as the stockers were,been sick so I'm just getting to putting it back together.
When I reinstalled the cam pullies just now the timing marks are out with both pullies pulled together the same amount( about a tooth and half each) off of where they should be with valve spring pressure from another cylinder-have I got something out of whack?
I'd like to get this baby back together so I can stick it in the car so if anyone can help me out that would great.Btw my computer is whacked right now and I can't open most manuals/diagrams etc thats on the net so I'm not able to find the stuff myself. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:39 am 

When you tighten the camshafts down, the valve spring pressure WILL cause at least one of the cams to be misaligned...especially so if you have a reground cam. As long as it's just by a tooth or two, that's fine.

You need to turn the cam(s) that are not aligned to the matchmark and use something to make sure they don't move while you're putting the belt on. Tighten the tensioner puller and tensioner spring bolt BY HAND ONLY!

With the belt on and lined up (for the most part), you need to make 2 complete rotations of the crankshaft pulley. After this, check again that all 3 marks are lined up...if they aren't, you have to start over. Once all three are lined up, you can then torque the tensioner and tensioner spring bolts.

I did this recently when I changed my own timing belt. After the first try, both cams were lined up but the crank was off by one tooth. On the second try I got it!

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:40 pm 

Thanks,I got it wrapped up today.I just wanted to confirm that I did in fact have everything in the correct spot,I tried to use a coil spring compressor to hold the cams in the right location but the hooks weren't the right shape to fit well enough.I ended up turning the intake cam back just far enough that it stayed put and then I used thin rope to tie the 2 pullies together thru the pulley spokes.Only took a couple tries to get the right amount of tension on the rope so the pullies lined up with the marks once the intake cam was turned back where it should be.
I had to redo it once due to crank pulley being off a tooth as well,good for practice if nothing else. :wink: