TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:38 pm 

I recently picked up a 92 Suzuki Swift GT. This will shortly be my daily driver and I plan on it being that for a long time. When I went to buy it, I realized that it probably had a hole in the transmission casing. The first thing after getting her home was pull the transmission and began rebuilding. I have already got the case welded, and ordered most of the parts I need. After this I will replace all the seals, and a new timing belt. I am pretty sure in a short amount of time I will pull the head and replace all the valves, and install with ARP head bolts. There are some minor body repairs that need to be fixed, but overall she is in pretty good shape inside and out.

Pictures:

Trying to find one more of these:
Before:

After:

Need some thrust washers, and a new shaft
My metros

Last edited by Solerpower on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:22 pm 

Nice welding bead. :thumb2: Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:33 pm 

I cannot take credit for the weld. If I did the weld it would not look as pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:29 pm 
Island Inbreeder

is that bow-edison in the backround..??
Nice car I would loose the stickers in the back.
The Mount vernon cops will be all over that Like a kid with a rock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:22 am 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
is that bow-edison in the backround..??
Nice car I would loose the stickers in the back.
The Mount vernon cops will be all over that Like a kid with a rock

It is Conway, not to far off. The stickers will go before I drive it out of my shop. Mount Vernon cops are not that bad, it is the State Patrol and Sheriffs department that I have more issues with; they tend to be fresh out of the academy with no idea about anything especially being respectful and polite back to the citizens. I tend to view them as an additional poor tax. I have been in the community for almost four decades, and growing up in the 80's I have no desire for any stickers especially ones that are not mine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:25 am 

I'm still trying to get this transmission back together. I stripped down my automatic transmission only to find that the shaft is an inch short. I am not sure but I am now wondering if there is a difference only between the automatics and manual transmissions or between the GTi, GT differential pinion shafts and NA. The larger casing to support the larger spider gears supports that the difference is between the GTi, GT differential and the NA, and that the automatic and manual NA's are both shorter. I will post some pictures of these differences.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 am 

This may help.viewtopic.php?t=23748

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:05 am 

I have the parts now, I got side tracked this weekend and didn't get to much of the rebuild. I did manage to almost complete a solid differential pinion shaft pin to replace the spring pin. I will post some pictures and details of the design. Should keep any future recurrences of this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:56 pm 

Transmission is finally back together. Now, I have misplaced a couple miscellaneous parts like the pin that goes through the clutch arm, and the seal that goes around the clutch arm cavity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:42 pm 

That kind of looks like the one I sold Scotty.

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 am 

Was sold then immediately re-sold. Any idea what happened to the fourth wheel or information on the wheel to match it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:59 pm 

Found most of my missing parts. I had attached the pin and nut to the shift cable, but I have no idea about the little rubber, circular dust seal that goes around the shift clutch arm post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:31 pm 

Transmission finished!

Adding some photos for memory:

And the outside:

Last edited by Solerpower on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:23 pm 

Installed the clutch, and mounted the transmission. I had to take the rear mount off to get the input shaft to line up. Now I will paint those as well. Soon I will actually get to drive her. I order some blank brake rotors. I ended up going with Autozone Durolast. For $18 a piece I really couldn't go wrong (they are 250mm, and vented). I could not fine anything more noteworthy, and was not going to pay $30 more for a corrosion resistant paint applied. I had no desire to go with slotted or drilled, etc. What are the rest of guys using? I'll eventally complete the Honda caliper upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 am 

Wrapping up the install. I got carried away with making things pretty. I also am waiting on parts. I happen to have a 90's accord parked on the farm. I am going to check the caliper and bracket tomorrow to see if it will work. If it does I will get pads for it instead. Things left to do: put hood on, left half shaft, brakes, crank seal, cam seals, valve cover gasket, fluids, pull fender; pound out dent, and starter.

While putting back on the stock exhaust I was planning for 2 1/2" down pipe and RBH5vj11 IHI turbo placement with matching fmic (same side). All of these goodies will have to wait until I am satisfied that the car is sound. Which includes rebuilt head (really thinking about having 3 tech do this), new head gasket, and ARP studs. I am a ways out for all of this, just starting the planning and component gathering.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:05 pm 

Arg! The caliper from the 93 Accord EX will not work. The distance from center is the same, and same size hole and thread pitch. I should say that I could make it work, but not something I'm willing to do. It would require a significant amount of grinding of the bracket bar that touches the hub (probably 3/8" off from center point than less as is goes away from the center point, ground circularly around roughly a 3" diameter). This is not the worst, the worst would be having to grind down the brake pads every time, again roughly 1/4".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 pm 

Finally drove the car today! It shifts fine, but the clutch is slipping. I adjusted it a little and it appeared to get better. I ran out of time, and left it for another day. I rebuilt the starter, and pulled the driver side dent out. I am going pressure wash the passenger side and then do the timing belt, crank seal, cam seals and idler.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:50 am 

Solerpower wrote:
I recently picked up a 92 Suzuki Swift GT. This will shortly be my daily driver and I plan on it being that for a long time.

Shortly down here is probably a fraction of what it is up there.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5752597

You will have a great time driving it, once you finally start.

When I think of a 'daily driver', I don't think of something spectacularly modified, especially something which spends most of its life in dirt.

Brake upgrade: seriously?

Keep the pictures coming, and concentrate more on function and less on fancy.

Clutch is slipping -
a.) when I get on it
b.) during a normal take off
c.) when it is cold/hot etc. etc.

You seem to have a lot of Metros. Is this your first Swift?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:38 am 

Yes, it is my first swift. I do have three other metros.

Not to sound arrogant, but how I rebuild my own car is my own decision. I want it to look really nice and function the way I want it to.

Yes, brake upgrade. It definitely needs it. If you compare the metro brake pad and the swift gt fronts there is an insignificant amount surface area difference on the pads. The rotors are significantly larger, and well dissipate heat a lot quicker increasing stopping time, but the pads not quite where I want them. There as been plenty of times in my daily driver I have needed to stop quicker. Seriously.

I can't wait to start driving it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 am 

Just to give people a idea of what is in store for this car. This is my Ford Probe. The same exact setup is going in the Suzuki GT. Will it will be turn around and some odds and ends will be different.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:04 pm 
Suzuki Elder

my last 3 or 4 suzuki variant builds, turbo3 or twincam swaps to verts, got suspension, power unit, and body styling mods all set in pencil during the planning phases and executed nearly simultaneously during their builds.

it makes a lot of sense to get all your painted and powder coated parts together before you install an assembly. as a matter of fact, getting everything in order, cleaned up, and ready for assembly is very logical.

i ordered every part for my very technically complex water to air cooled, megasquirted blue monster turbo3 vert during the 21 months prior to the build and had a pile of boxes literally bigger than the car itself. with a planning stage that ran concurrent with the ordered purchase of parts of 3 years i had things down to stainless screws and special aba hose clamps for all the silicone hoses.

soler, you're doing a great job with your gt build. :wink:

i like the pics, they show a tremendous pride of ownership. i often think that my last 2 projects, keepers for me, are a test of my stewardship. i hope that your car is, "a thing of joy and a rose forever."

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:20 pm 

T3's poetry brought a wee tear to my eye. I never pictured him as the sentimental type, I'm impressed :shock: :shock: My knowledge gets expanded here everyday. :D Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:42 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
my last 3 or 4 suzuki variant builds, turbo3 or twincam swaps to verts, got suspension, power unit, and body styling mods all set in pencil during the planning phases and executed nearly simultaneously during their builds.

it makes a lot of sense to get all your painted and powder coated parts together before you install an assembly. as a matter of fact, getting everything in order, cleaned up, and ready for assembly is very logical.

i ordered every part for my very technically complex water to air cooled, megasquirted blue monster turbo3 vert during the 21 months prior to the build and had a pile of boxes literally bigger than the car itself. with a planning stage that ran concurrent with the ordered purchase of parts of 3 years i had things down to stainless screws and special aba hose clamps for all the silicone hoses.

soler, you're doing a great job with your gt build. :wink:

i like the pics, they show a tremendous pride of ownership. i often think that my last 2 projects, keepers for me, are a test of my stewardship. i hope that your car is, "a thing of joy and a rose forever."

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:54 pm 

Dan, I am looking forward to seeing the GT in person, stop by when you drive into town some time, it looks good in the pics Jon P.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:52 pm 

Thanks. Well do. I should have it back together again tomorrow. I'll try and stop in next week. Spring break from teaching at the school district. Just means more hours on the rental house.