TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Engine Swap & Cleanup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:08 am 

Ok, so a few months ago a jerk pulled out in front of me and I wrecked my 89 GTI, the front end was pushed in and everything got all scrunched up. I have been driving it, but there are some problems like the headlights not working because they were crushed and stuff like that that prevents me from using it all the time as a reliable car. I have been accumulating the parts needed to get it back to normal, but I have noticed that one of the front crush zone on the drivers side well got crushed. It maybe fixable, but I think the motor really needs to come out to make more room for a proper repair if one is even feasible.

I do have another car a 92 GT that has a straight body, crap paint, but not rusty anywhere and and is a very good specimen. I got it with the motor and tranny pulled out and I have been slowly working on building the engine for it and getting it back together. Atm I'm waiting on machine shop money.

I have been thinking that maybe I should just pull the motor and tranny from the GTI and put it in the GT and let her rip for now. It would give me room to see if I can repair the GTI, and it would give me an instant powerplant that wouldn't cost me anything for the GT immediately.

I have two questions:

One: Will I have any issues going from a 89 GTI to a 92 GT that I need to worry about?

Two: The GTI engine is a greasy mess, leaks a bit of oil from the oil pan and possibly other places, also the head ticks a bit, what quick and dirty things could/should I do to it to clean it up a bit and refresh it a little before dropping it in the GT? Maybe a fresh timing belt while it's out and easy to get to, and I'm not sure what else.

I'm wide open to thoughts and suggestions. I missing having a straight true car to drive and would love to get something together so I can get back to enjoying my ride.

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust
Turbine Tech Underbody Brace
Honda CRX Front Brake Calipers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:52 am 

I would start by checking the compression before pulling to have an idea of condition of engine. Beyond that replace the rear main seal, cam seals, crank shaft and oil pump gasket. Reseal the pan also. I would definitely replace the timing belt. Sounds like the lifters are ticking. If you have the engine harness in the 92 compare it with the harness of the 89. I'm sure there are some differences but I don't know since I have never own a GTi only GT's. Most of the components should be the same. I would check closely to see if the strut towers got shift before trying to straighten anything.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am 

Solerpower wrote:
I would start by checking the compression before pulling to have an idea of condition of engine. Beyond that replace the rear main seal, cam seals, crank shaft and oil pump gasket. Reseal the pan also. I would definitely replace the timing belt. Sounds like the lifters are ticking. If you have the engine harness in the 92 compare it with the harness of the 89. I'm sure there are some differences but I don't know since I have never owned a GTi only GT's. Most of the components should be the same. I would check closely to see if the strut towers got shift before trying to straighten anything.

Thanks! This is some solid advice, I bought one of those cheap harbor freight compression testers awhile ago and maybe I didn't know how to use it or maybe it's junk because the numbers were just terrible like sub 100 which is not true my butt dyno says that isn't possible. It runs too good and has to much umph for that. Maybe I should look into a better tester or find someone who knows what they are doing with one.

That's one of the main reasons why I want to get the engine out of the way is so I can have a proper look around and make sure nothing else is damaged to badly. Hate to see a GTi destroyed, it drives pretty good I have some wheel shake I believe that is from flat spots on my tires where I was standing on my brakes. Also the front lights are damaged so I can't drive it at night and I can't fix them because there isn't room to put replacements in properly. The upper and lower core radiator support are bent as well. Everything else looks ok, it was a dead on hit although the drivers side got it slightly worse.

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:49 am 

I already posted these on GMF awhile ago, but I am going to toss them up here as well for everyone to gawk at, I've already gotten a few messages about repairing my GTi since posting so I figured I would just satisfy everyone's curiosity.

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust