TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:39 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 3cyl. Tach !
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:29 pm 
banned and still posting

doesn't the coil saturate with 12 volts and then get dumped to ground to discharge the coil's secondary?

you'd get a little added bump from the inductor absorbing the magnetic field as it collapses.

from trying to get the dash tachometer to work with a 12 volt pulse from my megasquirt controller i know that you can't make it happen unless you use a relay coil to get that little extra bump. 12 volts alone won't trigger the tach.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:33 pm 

Yeah, though without scoping that line, it's hard to know how big that signal should be.

I've just tried to duplicate JBs setup and can't get the tach to respond. I only have one, and don't want to take the risk of blowing it up, so I think I am going to wait for his resistor value suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 am 

Sorry for the delay - work and life and laziness got in the way.

Your two resistors, 27K and 9.1K in parallel gives 6.806K.

In a previous post, a tach went from 4 cyl and 6.25K to 3 cyl and 11.49K, or 1.838x

Using the same scaling will get you pretty darn close I expect.

so 6.806K x 1.838 = 12.5K total.

There isn't a standard 5% 12.5K resistor, but there is a 12.4K 1% you could use instead of your 27K and 9.1K resistor, OR, lift one leg of the 9.1K resistor and tack a 24K 5% across the existing 27K resistor. This would give you 12.7K, close enough.

Use a pulse generator like my setup to check your work.

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 52MPG these days

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:47 pm 

Got sidetracked for awhile but am about ready to get back into this. I'll try your values, JBD, thank you.

But I recall that I wasn't able to get my tach to respond using your setup and I didn't want to risk damaging mine. Can you please go over your connections, signal source and characteristics?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:06 pm 

Well, I found a 3cyl W/Tach Speedometer since I've screwed my 4cyl. lol anyway I was about to use the Resistor's but finally found a vert with a cluster, paid 25$ !

Mk3 Geo Metro W/ Mk2 G10T

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 pm 

I never could duplicate the test setup, so I decided to gamble.

Got her done. Took an ugly instrument cluster with a severely damaged clear panel (got it very inexpensively), cleaned it inside and out, sanded and polished the clear to perfection, changed the resistors to a 12.4K (two 6.2K parts in series) part and stuck it in. Turns out that I did not have to lower the steering column to accomplish this. I did run into one issue, and that was the length of the speedometer cable. The original speedo is in the center of the cluster, and the new one is a few inches to the left. That matters with the original routing- too tight. Of course, I found this out AFTER everything was installed and I was attempting to hook the cable back up to the transmission. I rerouted the cable and all is well.

Beauty!

Works perfectly. Turns out that the ratio of 1.838 is correct. So take your 4 cyl tach, determine what the original resistance value is, multiply that by 1.838 and install the new value. Then stick the cluster in your 3-banger and off you go.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:26 pm 

Peenutzz wrote:

Well, today I was bored, and I took another look at the cluster and I decided to give it a go, and try the trim-resistor. I connected the cluster to the car and fired it up. Checked all the lights, and they worked like they are supposed to. As expected, the tach pointed 3/4 from what it should. I took the car for a spin to warm up the engine and went back home. Took a look at the tach and at idle it was around 750rpm. Then I took it apart, and turned the trim-resistor clockwise all the way, which is about 180 degrees from the factory setting. Installed the cluster again, fired up the engine and a smile appeared on my face. At idle, the tach pointed about 2200rpm. I took it apart again, and since I turned 180 degrees, which meant roughly 1500 rpm more on the gauge, I turned the resistor back to factory, and then roughly 30 degrees clockwise again, so the gauge would point 1500/6=250rpm's more at idle. Installed it, and fired up for the third time. I was only a 100 rpm's off. :) I revved the engine up, and the rev limiter kicked in at about 6300rpm. Since it should be at 6500, and idle was a little low, I took the cluster apart one more time, gave the resistor a few more degrees and when I put it together for the last time, I checked and idle now is at 1000rpm, rev limiter at 6500rpm. Seems pretty accurate to me :D :D :D

I don't know if this will work for other clusters, since the pictures I've seen were totally different from the one I have here. So to make things clear: This cluster is one from a 1991 Suzuki Swift 1.3GS, which I fitted in a 1991 Suzuki Swift 1.0GA.

I have the same cluster but out of an 89 swift GS. I swapped a turbo 3 into mine and this tach adjustment worked perfectly. It actually has so much adjustment, you could probably run anything from a single cylinder to a six cylinder off of it. Don't quote me on that but I would bet that at very least it would do 2-5 cyls.
Thanks Peenutzz, I obviously didn't look close enough the first time I opened this cluster!

88 Forsa Turbo, 14psi rust bucket, DD
Or as my friends like to call it "The Foreskin"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:01 pm 

did the resistor mod,changed the tach from a 4 cyl to a 3 cyl.
but now my engine (tach) redline/rev limiter is 4500 rpm
idle is 900~1200 depending on temp.
did I install wrong resistor? cant find the photos I took of mod.

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6