TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:22 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:30 pm 

I own an 89 geo metro lsi with the 1.0 non turbo motor.
bought the dash cluster from a wrecker. Removed it myself out of a 90 Geo Metro Convertible with the same motor. I installed the cluster with relative ease and everything appeared to function correctly....but

1) the tach is totally random and erratic. Doin 70mph on the free way it will read 700rpms up to 3800rpms with the needle bouncing all over the place. Sometimes while reving the motor in neutral, the needle will DROP below zero!?

2) in 5th gear, cruising down the road.. the shift lift keeps luminating as though i have more gears to go!

Any ideas on these?
thanks everyone

Last edited by nixmixin on Wed May 23, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:41 pm 

It gets weird, worse and better?! Wtf? Lol

So, since this thread was posted, my fuel pump died. I replaced it and was thrilled to be back on the road. During the diagnostics to determine that the fuel pump was bad, i tested the relays too. All was good. Ever since then, my gas mileage has increased! Now i am getting high 40's for mpg at freeway speeds averaging 70 mph. But!... now the it wont start without my foot on the gas pedal and has trouble idling, very low rpm.

Here is the weird parts.
check engine light came on this morning throwing code 51. When it warms up a pit and is able to barely idle, the tach functions perfectly. I rev the engine and the tack responds smoothly. The moment i let out on the clutch or if the car is moving at all (in neutral coasting to red lights), the tack goes back to crazy and random. At one point the tach acted like i killed the power all together!?

Headlights function perfectly without dimming or flickering that would indicate alternator/battery issues.

Starter is strong too.

Before my fuel pump died, it would buz very loudly

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:47 pm 

Solved the tach! Wahoo! Still stumped on the fuel gauge though.

I took apart the dash cluster and niticed that the plastic sheet with the copper lines was mildly corroded. Took som 600 grade sandpaper and cleaned up each location that had a screw threw it. Then i did a conductive test (forgot the right word there) and gound that the corrosion had faulted part of the ground lead. Pulled some wire and patched the line and the tach is perfoming flawlessly!

I cut an access panel in the floor of the car back when my fuel pump died so i dont have to drop the gas tank anymore. Pulled that panel to see if i did something wrong when i put in the new pump. Everything looked good. Still unsure on the fuel gauge.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 pm 

when I removed my dash (previous owner let the goat that was living in the car eat it... long story) and reinstalled (bungee corded) the gauge cluster, I noticed similar issues. ended up running ground wires from the clearly marked grounds on the "printed" circuits on the back of the gauge cluster to the chassis... problem solved.