TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:21 pm 

I want to see how far a 3 cyl engine can be taken powerwise :twisted: and I was thinking about making a custom intake manifold and throttle body(or maybe using a throttle body from a different car) to convert it from tbi to mpfi. This would be for US non turbo 3cyl cars. Of course it would require a custom engine management system.
I was thinking a design similar to the aftermarket honda intakes. Possiblely putting nitrous bosses on the runners as well as the injector bosses.
I can also make headers and turbo manifolds, downpipes, cat back and turboback(if the car was turbocharged) exhausts. I was just curious how many people would be interested in anything like that if i was to make them?
I read a post about a 12 valve head that sounded very interesting, how many people would be interested in one? Is it true a 1.3 dohc head could be cut down and modified to work on a 3 cyl? (if thats true one could be used as a template for custom cnc heads) Or would it have to be custom designed? Of course that would require custom cams as well.
What are some other parts that would interest the 3cyl crowd that are not available at the moment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:25 pm 

Well, I know that Turbine Tech does a lot of this stuff for the teamswift.net community already. If your interested in business, you might want to post in the manufacturers/suppliers forum to get people to see your stuff.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:04 am 

A cut-down Gti fuel rail will line up with the bosses already in a 3cylinder head. Seen it done and it seems to work fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:25 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

svtfocus03 wrote:
I read a post about a 12 valve head that sounded very interesting, how many people would be interested in one? Is it true a 1.3 dohc head could be cut down and modified to work on a 3 cyl? (if thats true one could be used as a template for custom cnc heads) Or would it have to be custom designed? Of course that would require custom cams as well.

Slice the DOHC G13 head right down the middle of cylinders 2 and 3, take that chunk out, re-attach them, and you've got a winner that lines up the water and oil passages properly, if I remember correctly. Too bad that's a HUGE hassle.

The only Suzuki 12v 3-cyl head that I've seen has shown it's face in at least the Mighty Boy over in Australia, but I don't think it'll work on the G10, since it was made for a smaller engine which is likely designed differently. Might be interesting to import one, just to check it out, if that hasn't already happened.

Don't know if a custom head would be any easier or cheaper.

But having a DOHC or even a SOHC 12v head would be very interesting. Especially for the T3 crowd.

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:47 pm 

Speaking of 12v Twin Cam heads.....What engine is in the Daihatsu Charade. That thing was offered with a 12V Twin Cam 1.0L 3 cyl. with an intercooled turbo. Is that the same engine as the G10? It looks like the DOHC 1.3 GT engine only missing a cylinder.

"M3 like the BMW?"
"No, like the Gillette razor."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:44 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

It's not related. Not even closely. I think some research was done on that about a year ago, and it was covered on the Turbo 3 Haven.

I think there was some problem trying to actually get the head back to NA, but you may have more luck if you're not from NA.

Chris

(Edit: The above link goes directly to the conversation, since the search engine on Delphi sucks.)

Last edited by CJDavE on Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:50 pm 

Was always curious about 12v DOHC heads for the turbo 3-cyl... Met a Justy owner with a 9v (I think) head -- wildness.

Did some poking around on the Daihatsu Charade. Seems they had a model called the "G10" although the engine is called a CB80. The GTti model seemed to be the turbo version. They used a 993cc block and an IHI RHB3 turbo, however.

Here are a couple pics:

Kind of a funny, but cool, lookin' thing.

I know TeamSwift members can do their own reading at daihard.org, but the CB Engine Manual for the CB-80 engine might shed some light--it looks like it's a different engine, though... Haven't looked for any compatibility...

Enjoy!
Brendan

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:43 pm 

The Mighty Boy/Cappucino/RSR heada are not compatible. Different series of engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:19 pm 

svtfocus03,
I would defifnitely be intrested in your custom manifold/throttle body. Not saying that I could help (because I am clueless about that stuff) but I am saying that if you got that project rolling, I would definitely buy from you. That is, once you have a way to manage the engine.

Post subject: G10 SOHC 12V head
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:26 am 

I came across this on globalcar.com: http://www.globalcar.com/datasheet/Suzuki/SuzukiSwift1.0GLX.htm

It appears to be a G10. I haven't seen any other post anywhere about it, nor have I found any exporters. Anyone know anything about this? It has lower compression than our domestic counterparts, yet has the same power output. This could leave some potential!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:33 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Interesting. It says 'new' on the top of the page, but does the info have to be verifyable by that site? Could someone have just posted the info and lied about it or is there some sort of process that ensures people aren't posting stuff for the heck of it?

Chris

Post subject: Source for globalcar.com
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:09 pm 

Globalcar.com information source, judge for yourself, seems reputable to me:

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=85745&Suzuki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:17 am 

Hmmmmm??? Very interesting indeed :twisted:

1997 VW GTI VR6 Turbo--dead as a door nail
1994 GEO METRO 1.0 xfi (retired and parted out)
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi (sold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:41 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

back on topic, there's nothing stopping a guy from either making your own intake manifold for a 3cyl like I did or fireandfuel did.. on a non-turbo, adding a megasquirt (msns-e) paired up with 3 motorcycle throttlebodies (& their injectors) should be VERY simple, at least from a fabricating/wiring standpoint.
some suzuki gsx-1000 throttle bodies might be a good choice, just remove one of the middle ones, then you have a map sensor, tps sensor, injectors & fuel rail, airbox, throttle linkage, etc...
or a gsx-750, honda cbr-1000, r1, etc.. most of them are spaced very similar to the suzuki g10/g13 due to them having roughly the same bore & cylinder spacing.
or use a turbo3 head along with it's intake, injectors, etc...

eg. these look like a good set to cut down to a 3-pack, 2003 2004 Yamaha R6 throttle bodies
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-200 ... 8638QQrdZ1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:08 am 
Main twit

dont forget my intake!

Mk1 3cyl - 185whp/150ftlbs - 1/4mile 13.97@103mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:13 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

yup, don't want to forget that one ;)

I decided to bid on some tb's tonight, if I manage to get them and they work (remotely fit), I'll post up all the details. gotta love blind experimentation ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:05 pm 

is it difficult to do a custom intake manifold??i want one, but its expensive to buy it or import it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:38 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

protuner wrote:
is it difficult to do a custom intake manifold??i want one, but its expensive to buy it or import it

if you have to ask, your probably not up to the task.. seriously, if you're thinking about it, there's a lot involved and you will likely need to be installing a stand alone ecu to control your whole setup ..
unless your custom intake is a set of carbs...
since there is no-one actually making pre-built intakes or the 3cyl, buying/importing one isn't even an option. I'd suggest starting with some of the more basic modifications and working your way up to custom pieces gradually..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:54 pm 

This would be a killer setup to copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:01 pm 

^ + a variable-runner length system ala the Mazda 787B. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:24 am 

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Almost everything you need is right here to build your own turbine tech like kit or your own custom manifold is right on these two sites. Skill not included![/url]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:30 am 

Very old thread, but worth throwing out there some comments in case it was in the back of peoples minds :)

Very familiar with the Metro here, just picked up a nice 89 Daihatsu Charade as it got my curiousity.

Looking it over and pondering differences among this and the Metro of similar years........

This 1.0L (993cc) 3 banger in this year not only is already fuel injected, but its multi-port EFI, not TBI.

This intake, injectors, TB, etc... could be used in a Metro if someone found Charade parts someone was getting rid of.

I'm not building mine up, just keeping it stock as these parts are difficult to find and repair.

The 1.0L (986cc) had a SOHC Turbo and a DOHC Turbo, totally different engines and really rare to find anything but a bare block anymore.

- 89 Daihatsu Charade CLX 1.0L MPFI 3cyl 5spd (*SOLD*)
- 01 VW Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo (*SOLD*)
- 63 Datsun NL320 Sport Truck 4x4 (Converted by Me & Son)
- 04 GMC Yukon (Fam Hauler)
- 92 Suzuki JR50 (Fun Tiny Dirt Bike)
- 84 Dodge B350 Royal High-Top Van (Heavy Item Hauler)
- 92/94 Geo Metro's (Rebuilt & Sold)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 am 

keep in mind an EFI computer can be as simple as a WBO2, TPS, and TACH input.
and yeah, welding an intak manifold is easy, its just the intake, no coolant lines. i had one welded up. i got 1/4 aluminum base plate, and worked it to fit on the head, then took the pieces to a guy who wellded it up for me. it worked, but i sold the car before i had a chance to drive it. the throttle linkage was the hardest part of the whole thing. using mikuni vm30's.

-vernon wasser-

88 sprint, 4dr sold :(
87 turbo 2dr, never ran :( :(
86 sprint, 2dr current DD! :)