TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:27 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:35 pm 

For about two years now I've had a 93 Metro Convertible, and I love it as I'm sure you all can sympathize with. I've had a little bit done to the sound system to make it listenable, but what I'd really enjoy is a little bit more oomph behind the pedal. Unfortunately, I have next to no technical knowledge. :oops:

I know I've heard that a CAI is the first thing that should be done to a car, and another post in here gives high praise to the underdrive pulley. Are there any other suggestions about what I can do for more pep, or is a 3-cyl auto just hopeless? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:46 pm 
smart@ss

3cyl auto is not hopeless, but there's only so much you can do to your car. You can get the intake,header,exhaust set up and add along some 'goodies", but the real answer to your question is ......G13B......dohc engine from suzuki swift gt, much MUCH more powerfull and lots more possibilities.

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject: DOHC swap
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:13 pm 

A nice G13B is certainly the ideal solution. The main reason I'm reluctant to try that is that I know my daily driver would be out of commission for weeks while I worked my way through a swap.

Also, is a switch from automatic to manual transmission incredibly difficult? I know that my idea of 'difficult' is a lot different from some of the forum-goers who can apparently do automotive magic. I'm confident that I can get through most projects as a matter of time--I've got a good knowledge of how they work and some connections, just never torn a car apart before. =)

If not a manual, are there automatic DOHCs around? I must admit that even after lurking here for a month or two, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as an auto GTi. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:15 pm 

there is, but they are very rare. i've only ever seen 1 of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:20 pm 
smart@ss

'89 was the only year that GTi came with an auto tranny ( at least in North america, not sure about the rest of the world). Yes it's possible to convert it from auto to tranny, you'll need manual gearbox, clutch, cables, shifter linkage, cut out hole for the shifter and put in a clutch pedal. It'll require some work&time and LOTS more patience.

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:27 am 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

oh, trust me, doing the dohc conversion is well worth the time and money. I did a swap to my 91 drop top, and it's a screamer. http://www.cardomain.com/id/geozukigti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:11 am 

GeoZukiGTi wrote:
oh, trust me, doing the dohc conversion is well worth the time and money. I did a swap to my 91 drop top, and it's a screamer. http://www.cardomain.com/id/geozukigti

I've seen that one. That's one sweet car, no doubt about it. Looks like it came off the showroom floor.

You're my Geo hero. :P