TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:09 pm 

Car is a 1997 Chevy Metro w/150k mi motor. 1.0 3cyl. G10 5-speed

Hello all. I replace the motor on this car about 8mo ago because it threw a rod. I tried setting timing but the mark on the crank pully wanders high & low & doesn't stay put. Timing belt tension is tight, & I'm thinking it could just be bad carbon buildup in the combustion chamber causing pre-detonation. I'm going to pull the head, check it out & clean it. The thing that concerns me though is the head bolts are torque-to-yield & are not designed to be reused. Does anyone have any experience with reusing torque-to-yield head bolts without any problems?

The car has also been running too hot (3/4 on gauge) & has failed emissions with the NOx, Oxides of Nitrogen count of 1172 (964 is passing in NJ). I cleaned out the carbon from the EGR Valve & the passages of the hoses going to it, but no improvement on temp. when I tried to retard timing to try to lower the temp the idle died too easily. Has new fuel filter, new thermostat, new coolant temp sensor. No CEL light, nothing registering on OBD2 scan tool. Maybe bad water pump? If so is there any way to check if the pump is good while on the car? I know it may sound like I'm being cheap not forking up the $30 for new OEM head bolts, but I'm trying not to spend alot on this motor because I just need the G10 to last me untill next summer. :) Any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

-Vic

Last edited by Importvic on Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:04 am 

I have re-used them several times without any problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:07 pm 

you can re-use them, but its not the best idea. the bolt streches when you tighten it, therefore, it will strech a little every time you remove and replace the bolt, over time it might just not fit anymore, the diameter might have changed and the bolt won't hold it self in the hole and might well... ..pop out, or strip the threads in the block when you tighten it