TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:18 pm 

Hi Rich - I sure hope it looks good!

Nothing too fancy for the RR mount... just got the superpro urethane. For the front mounts, I'm just replacing the 18yr old ones with new Suzuki parts... if that's not enough I will pot the new front ones with urethane. I'm sure It'll be vibrating enough with the above setup that I won't want to make them any stiffer.

The RR mount certainly has the most influence on torsional compliance anyway, so I'll start with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:17 pm 

okay... been a while.

I've been stuck breaking up my time between too much time at work and working on my motorcycle... but now the big push will start.

The goal is to be finished this summer! I should have lots of time to work on it as well...

Next up is painting the floor, a job I've been putting off for about a month. All the parts that are being used again have been sandblasted and painted and are all patiently waiting in a bunch of boxes for me to get my butt in gear.

I also still dont have my engine back, however I went ahead and blueprinted and rebalanced all the internals (had to rebalance the crank anyway due to the different pistons, pulley, and flywheel... not too much work to go through everything else at the same time), and in the process I've made a set of dummy weights that are needed to balance this crank. If anyone is interested in them, I'll be offering them up for sale... they weren't cheap to make, but I'll let them go for a good price... I'll post them in the parts forsale section once I'm sure I'm done with them.

New pics of the progress soon!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:44 am 

So? Any updates?

Your deadline of the end of summer is fast approaching!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:55 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i haven't heard from evan in months.

honda has a reputation for working the beejeezus out of their engineering staff so i expect that's the case here.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:51 pm 

I'm still working on it... Rich is basically right.
This summer wasn't as productive as I had planned because work and travel on weekends kept stealing time, and I've ended up doing a lot of small things to the white body that I hadn't planned on doing.
I already know it won't be finished until next summer...
I still owe an update with pictures... I'll do that soon, I promise!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:58 pm 

Evan wrote:
I'll do that soon, I promise!

Hmm, we know Canadians are a little slow... but really three months later and no pictures.

The next Honda Odyssey will be out before this cars done, (they're likely faster too). :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:05 pm 

CanadianRally wrote:
Evan wrote:
I'll do that soon, I promise!

Hmm, we know Canadians are a little slow... but really three months later and no pictures.

The next Honda Odyssey will be out before this cars done, (they're likely faster too). :P

its already out, i've seen one already, lol. and i cant wait to see some more pics, keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:43 pm 

Okay guys... point taken.

The car has ground to a halt with the weather... however we're moving to a new place (with a decent garage - finally!), so progress should be good in the spring.

Until then, check out the 2011 Odyssey... "Now here's one I finished earlier..." It's been our whole life at work since we started designing it, and I'm glad to be moving on! It's an awesome van, and I'm not afraid to say I think it looks good... for a van. Most importantly, it gets better HWY fuel econ than many V6 sedans, let alone the other vans, and it's lighter than the outgoing model... still too heavy, but the tide has been turned, I promise!

Anyway, I'll post some pictures when we move everything - there is progress, I promise!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:26 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i visited my brother-in-law a couple of months ago and his wife has a new honda van.

it's sort of like riding in the space shuttle. it's got all those glowing lucite rimmed gauges and a fancy dash. i really tried to perceive the 6 cylinder engine trim back to 3 cylinders and it was damned near impossible as a passenger to tell without watching for the light on the dash.

they have an element, too, and swear they're done with american cars (although he still has a big dodge truck for hauling his farm junk.)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:46 am 

Manhood
Is
Not
Intact

Vasectomized
And
Neutered

You still haven't sold me on one brother... maybe after the 4th kid...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:53 pm 
Suzuki Elder

not my cup o' tea, either.

it's me, the wife, our 7 year old girl, and a chihuahua and we all fit into the wife's 2000 metro 3 door. i roll an old tracker in the winter or whenever i need to haul something with my 5' x 8' utility trailer and in the summer, i drive my vert.

no minivans in my driveway. :ez_pimp:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:32 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Our mini van is great, great because the only time I drive it is towing my race car to the track :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:10 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
i really tried to perceive the 6 cylinder engine trim back to 3 cylinders and it was damned near impossible as a passenger to tell without watching for the light on the dash.

I know it doesn't make sense, but the light actually just comes on when the van is getting better than 20mpg.

It's such a dumb thing, and I've talked to our engine guys and electrical guys about this... it was a 'marketing and sales' choice... everyone at work agrees it should be tied to VCM function. Apparently they didn't want VCM to be noticable, and a light coming on and off would make people pay attention to the change. I say in that case, there's no need for the light at all... but they say it still encourages efficient driving practices.

I borrowed a Pilot for a road trip a while back, and instead of just being able to tell when the light was on, I had to call the guy that did the VCM ecu tuning and ask him how fast I could cruise on level highway while still in VCM mode to maximize fuel economy. If I remember correctly, at ~72 mph it will still function, but at 75mph the torque demand at cruise is too high. For the improved fuel economy, I stuck to 72 mph.

Under certain conditions, you can feel it change, but you have to do such a gradual thing... like ease off the throttle on level ground very slowly... it feels not unlike a torque converter lockup event. The active engine mounts really do a good job of handling the NVH impact.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:40 pm 

So, now that you're in the new place. Let's see some updated pictures of the new workshop/garage!?!

Or just admit you're mentaly ill, as evident that you're enthusiastic for a mini-van, and have decided to modify the automotive equivalent of a scooter. Why not sell me the Swift and spend your time on say, a track prepped RSX?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:40 pm 

OK finally a (blurry) update:

I've setup a corner of the basement for assembling the engine:

The head, gettin ready to put on the block:

The distributor, rebuilt and ready to go:

RR main seal holder, cleaned up and new seal:

New oil pump beside the old one:

The new (to me) garage:

A filthy car... and all the missing parts:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:54 pm 

A few more of the underside, which is finally getting finished - too bad the winter got in the way.

These are self-explanitory:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:21 pm 

Very nice, can't wait to go for a spin once it's complete. Like the garage too, I'm jealous of all that space.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:23 pm 

Very nice clean swift. Can't wait to see the finished product.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS-Sport - Sold
2000 Suzuki Swift - Sold
Current cars:
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 pm 

Okay, bottom end is finally finished!
Can't wait to get started with the engine now...
I've got a Wiseco 74mm tapered ring compressor that's been enlarged to 74.5mm for the overbore... once I'm sure I'm done with it, it'll be up for grabs to whoever needs it.

Anyway:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:34 am 

Don't be bashful.
Keep the pics coming :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 pm 

Okey dokey!

Obviously nothing special, but I'm making progress as I have time...

New RR main seal:

On the stand with new oil & water pumps:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 pm 

More progress... can't wait for spring to get this thing in the car.

Finished inside the bottom end...

And got the repainted oilpan on... it took a lot of work and time to get the oilpan spotless inside.

Ready to put the head on...

Onward and upward... engine will be done soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 am 

Any more updates...? The more I learn myself the more interesting your project is.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 am 

Since Evan hasn't been on in a while to post a photo update, I will:

Yes, that's the same picture from his Jan 17th 2011 update... but I'm sure it still looks identical. =)

And if you haven't already figured out by the harrasment that I'm giving him, yes I'm his Brother.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:35 am 

Ok ok, ill update tomorrow!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next