TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SOMENDER-SINGH grooves
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 pm 

Ok i have done a lot of looking on Teamswift & other places. I have found a lot of pros very few cons! I have only seen a couple of post on this sight on positive feed back! Not much for negitive feed back! What is your take does it work or not!
Any real experiance with the grooves! Thanks John

95 Chevy Truck 6.5 chipped 18mpg
08 Chevy Impala 32mpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:13 pm 

i cut them into the head on my 3cyl i just rebuilt. this will be the first motor i've tried them on. so far plugs look perfect. i'll log a few thousand miles and see if I can get my hands on a bore scope and post some pics from inside.

if you have a motor opened up already i figure wtf why not? i wouldn't go ripping apart a good running motor just to do it tho.

i might do them on my 383 efi'd SBC thats going in my camaro as we well (next build)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:04 pm 

can these groves be 'home-made' or should they be done in a shoop ?

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:22 pm 
Sad but True...

I put some in my head, then decided against it due to the rough/sharp edge you can create with it. so I gutted them all out and rounded it flat. I didnt want any detonation. However, if you just do one and dont go very deep, maybe you can get something. I sure wouldnt tear apart a good motor just to do this mod though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:39 pm 

http://somender-singh.com/content/view/133/37/

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:18 pm 
Sad but True...

z34-5speed wrote:
http://somender-singh.com/content/view/133/37/

see in that article, those grooves look too deep, the edges on either side of the "valley" are raised portions that have significantly less cooling through the rest of the head since a bunch of the surface is removed, in a very hot combustion chamber, these portions left sharp on either side of the cut could act as glow plugs.

I think time/money is best spent elsewhere on the head

this is what I ended up with after I wasted that time cutting them, I had to grind them all out

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:18 pm 

swift13b wrote:
see in that article, those grooves look too deep, the edges on either side of the "valley" are raised portions that have significantly less cooling through the rest of the head since a bunch of the surface is removed, in a very hot combustion chamber, these portions left sharp on either side of the cut could act as glow plugs.

I think time/money is best spent elsewhere on the head

this is what I ended up with after I wasted that time cutting them, I had to grind them all out

This is the first time I've seen you post anything on your attempts at "Somender Singh grooves" - I have to assume that they don't work the way you expected - perhaps that was because of how you did them - as I recall the grooves you cut were distinctly different - two grooves, closer together leaving a "tooth" in the middle - much more likely in my opinion to act like a glow plug.

Why not post pictures of your attempts here and let everyone see how you did it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:51 pm 
Sad but True...

I had posted them in a few builds and did the reading after, then a few guys suggested they act like a glow plug (like I did) and thats why I cut them out. I dont really have anything else to post, I suppose ill post a few pics from in between in a few stages
I ran it like that for a little while, but eventually pulled the head and did a little more prep work for 20+psi

I cut them like this... which you shouldnt do or youll be cutting the out

the pic I posted in the last post is what im running right now, and looks optimized to me. I spent a little while in there smoothing things. I dont have dished pistons anymore and shaved alot off the head means im running high compression like 11.0+ so I tried to remove what I could in an optimized way. thank god that was only a 3cyl head wow. I removed alot of material in the exhaust side port and put a big manifold to a bigger turbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:42 pm 

Here's how the other guy did his ...

his own has a lot more material in between the slots with a lot of conductive area to conduct the heat away.

Attachments:
Geo_Head_Groove.jpg
Geo_Head_Groove.jpg [ 45.29 KIB | Viewed 5314 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:49 pm 
Sad but True...

and if I were to attempt them again thats probably how I would do it. But there still is sharp edges on either side of the cut. especially the point created at the left cut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:33 pm 

from my reading and understanding you are going for flame propegation and reliefe from suction created by quench areas. it would seem that one deeper, smoothed and dialed in groove would do better than just a bunch of sharp edge slits cut in the head.

there are pics of mine posted on here... mine extend all the way to the edge of the combustion chamber and started as deep as the top of the dome.

i've only got 200 miles on my combination and that is with no front end to help with aero. in a few weeks i'll post mpg results.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 am 

Somender Singh Groove & Jim McFarland Dimples on a Suzuki Swift G13BB head