TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:38 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: magic 150 hp
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:06 pm 

Hey I was wondering if you guys think it's possable to make an 8 valve SOHC 1.3 produce 150 hp at the wheels? With a port and polish on the exhaust and intake manifolds, and underdrive pully, 2" freeflowing exhaust, true cold air intake, and a trubo, do you think that engine can push 150 at the wheels? Stock it's 70 right, My car with me in it weighs 1900, so I'm thinking 150hp should get me into the low 15s high 14's.

Thanx
-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:25 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

you'd need a turbo for 150hp. It's almost impossible to get 150 n/a HP out of a twin cam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:00 pm 

GeoZukiGTi wrote:
you'd need a turbo for 150hp. It's almost impossible to get 150 n/a HP out of a twin cam.

Actually, it is possible to get well over 200bhp from a twin cam normally aspirated, but you have to be really serious about it. (No, I'm not smoking funny stuff, after all my SOHC gets over 160bhp, and I know of at least one of the DOHC that was near 220bhp, n/a). It means race cams, serious porting, bigger valves, taller pistons (to increase CR), different manifolds (both sides), different injectors and programmable ECU or go to big carbs, etc., etc. It turns out that the limiting factor is the hydraulic lifters; over 10,500 rpm or so, they can't keep up. Its the old story: how fa$$$t do you want to go?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:07 pm 
smart@ss

Dave Gomberg wrote:
how fa$$$t do you want to go?
Dave

that's the question to ask.....anything is possible if you got $$$

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:19 pm 

His car is a 8V SOHC.You won't need that much power to run 15's.I have 2 3cyl.turbo cars that run in the 15's,and neither of them make 150hp.Actually,I remember a kid at the GRM challenge running 15.8 in a mid 90's Metro powered by a stock 98 16V SOHC 1.3 motor,so its not that hard to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:52 am 

Wow I figured I'd need 150, and I also thought that it would be pretty hard to get to! So what would you guys say I should do to get near the 150hp aria? (it's the 8 valve SOHC.)

Thanx for all your help

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:32 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

SEARCH
there's a whole section with thousands of archived posts about turbo charging, not to mention the rest of the posts in this section. you may also want to consider upgrading the engine or something a little tamer if you plan to pass california smog inspections ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:11 am 

I search on this thing every day, and I find lots of great stuff, I was just wanting some oppinons about this subject directly. California emissions be damned, I'm going to buy a second metro and trickem good. I want to try and use this engine cause I now have 2. So this means I can work on one and swap it out if something happens. It's not so much to me about haveing the fastist car in the world it's just a learning project with a car that I have and like (otherwise I'd buy a honda and bolt on all the power you can imagine).
The reason I ask is because I see lots of stuff about "my car runs 13.7's" or "I just put a new ajustable cam gear, in and boy is it fast", But It's hard for me to get a real idea of how powerful people make cars like mine, or what that power translates to, or what is not possable. About doing the actual work, if I wanna put a turbo on I'll read kyles discription and ask questions as I go, but maybe there is stuff that I'm not thinking about or don't know about. It would be cool if people posted profiles of there cars. for example: I have a 89 swift GTi, its got X,Y and Z, I dyno'd it at 1000 Hp at the wheels, my best quarter mile is 10.65, and eighth mile of 6.21. This might be a bit rediculous but it would be nice to see the specs of other cars, pics are nice but if people wanted to actually put up a profile that would be very helpful.

I look, I'm retarded should have posted this in the 1.3 Sohc secton now that I think of it.

Thanx for all the help.
-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:41 am 

Quote:
I look, I'm retarded should have posted this in the 1.3 Sohc secton now that I think of it.

You did.
There is nothing wrong with building a 8V motor.It should be a good,fun learning project.I would start with a cam,and then some head work.If you are running nitrous,then leave compression stock.If not,try to get up to about 11-1 by machining the head.Do a bit of port work,and then think about a bigger throttle body(1.6?),or a carb, and then a header.Make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:26 am 

You can tell that the late night was getting to me! hahah!

Yeah I was wondering about running a bigger TB, will the ECU that I have now work with one happily? A cam sounds like a fine idea, and something that didnt' come to mind imidiatly.

Thanx
-Chris