TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:48 pm 

I've just bought a 2005 Suzuki Swift with 1.6l engine (non-Turbo), Automatic Transmission, Canadian spec. The car has 200,000 kms showing on the clock, but no service history is available. We've had three other Suzukis in the family over the years, and I cannot praise them enough. My daughter presently owns a 2010 Suzuki SX4. She has not had a single repair in the 130,000 km's she has driven it.

This new Swift has two trouble codes. One is for the O2 sensor. The other is for "multiple cylinder misfire". I immediately decided to replace spark plugs, since that is the usual suspect for that code. I don't know if that code will clear now, but I found all of the spark plug "wells" about 1/2 full of engine oil.

My first thought is that the Valve Cover gaskets must be leaking, but I wanted to learn if there is anything else I should be looking at, as a possible source of this oil? I would guess that there was at least a tablespoon of oil in each "well". The oil was fairly clean, so I suppose it's possible that it got there by someone being extremely sloppy when refilling, or topping-up the oil but.........

Any advice, suggestions, or help will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 am 

If the firing end of the plug is clean, then it is the valve cover gaskets surrounding the plug holes or like you mentioned sloppy oil filling.

Wont hurt anything, probably keeps the plugs cooler lol.

Definitely try a valve cover gasket set.

- 89 Daihatsu Charade CLX 1.0L MPFI 3cyl 5spd (*SOLD*)
- 01 VW Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo (*SOLD*)
- 63 Datsun NL320 Sport Truck 4x4 (Converted by Me & Son)
- 04 GMC Yukon (Fam Hauler)
- 92 Suzuki JR50 (Fun Tiny Dirt Bike)
- 84 Dodge B350 Royal High-Top Van (Heavy Item Hauler)
- 92/94 Geo Metro's (Rebuilt & Sold)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:14 pm 

This site doesn't really cover Daewoo built Swifts for the N. American market. Having said that, the cheapest way to verify the source of the oil in the spark plug wells was from spillage, is to soak up the oil and drive the car. If the wells remain dry you have your answer.

I suggest visiting this site(s) below instead:

Chevy Aveo (aka Suzuki Swift 2002+) forum:
http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/hows-changing-valve-cover-gasket-11617/index2.html

Removing oil from tube:
http://www.ehow.com/video_12237685_remove-oil-spark-plug-well.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:58 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i had oil in the number 1 spark plug well of my twincam 2.3 liter mercedes engine due to a bad seal. i recently pulled the magnesium valve cover, repainted it, installed new seals and gasket, and re-installed it.

to remove the oil from the well i used a turkey baster to suck out most of it and then wicked the dregs out with a paper wipe. i didn't need to remove the spark plug. ;)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II