TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:47 am 

:shock: Kind of excited My first time pulling a trans but sadly I have a bad engine oil leak so its caked especially in the bell housing also I believe I've got a small leak from the trans. Sometimes I would have a hard enough time going into 1st and 2nd gear when its rolling from neutral.

questions:

What should I do with this trans besides the clutch kit while its out?

I think I might pull the engine also to fix the bad leaks and rebuild the head and rings. It seems like it would be an more convenient job while the trans is out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:38 am 

nothing wrong with that clutch disk. :wink: if your having a hard time shifting it most likley will be the syncros. now would be a good time to do them, you can get kits for about $80 on ebay. but you do need to be able to press the bearings on and off. but with the trans out now would be the time.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:57 pm 

redneck racing wrote:
nothing wrong with that clutch disk. :wink: if your having a hard time shifting it most likley will be the syncros. now would be a good time to do them, you can get kits for about $80 on ebay. but you do need to be able to press the bearings on and off. but with the trans out now would be the time.

lol that clutch disc is top notch for sure :-P

as far as syncros I've never done them before but I've read over some online guides, it doesn't seem like its the hardest thing in the world but the press part concerns me, maybe id have to take the trans somewhere for that? Could the main trans seal need replacing? I noticed a small amount of somewhat liquidish fluid near that. Cant tell if its oil or trans oil though since i had a bad oil leak getting into the bell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:46 am 
Suzuki Elder

don't forget that member fainya does a great job rebuilding those transmissions. he has done a couple of them for me.

you can find his contact info in the teamswift supplier's section or hit him with a pm.

he uses an ultrasonic cleaning tank which cleans up cases like nothing else. transport is done via ups.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:26 am 

i would also recommend fainya. but if that's not practical if you can separate the case half's and remove the gear shafts you should be able to take them to a shop and have them press everything on/off and install the syncors for you. it is easy but you need a press to do it. and yes. always replace all the seals well its out. at least the input and 2 output seals. if you get the syncro rebuild kit it should come with the 5 syncors and all the bearings and seals. including the shiftier rod seal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:26 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
don't forget that member fainya does a great job rebuilding those transmissions. he has done a couple of them for me.

you can find his contact info in the teamswift supplier's section or hit him with a pm.

he uses an ultrasonic cleaning tank which cleans up cases like nothing else. transport is done via ups.

Thank you, I'm on a budget but If i get a nice check I would do it for sure!

redneck racing wrote:
i would also recommend fainya. but if that's not practical if you can separate the case half's and remove the gear shafts you should be able to take them to a shop and have them press everything on/off and install the syncors for you. it is easy but you need a press to do it. and yes. always replace all the seals well its out. at least the input and 2 output seals. if you get the syncro rebuild kit it should come with the 5 syncors and all the bearings and seals. including the shiftier rod seal.

Ok thanks for the info. Do you happen to have a guess of how much a shop would charge to press and toss in the syncros?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:12 pm 

Ok thanks for the info. Do you happen to have a guess of how much a shop would charge to press and toss in the syncros?[/quote]

could not say for sure as i dont know shop rates in your area. but depending on the shop i could not see more then an hours labour if you just bring in the gear packs. some might even do it for a case of beer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:57 pm 

redneck racing wrote:
Ok thanks for the info. Do you happen to have a guess of how much a shop would charge to press and toss in the syncros?

could not say for sure as i dont know shop rates in your area. but depending on the shop i could not see more then an hours labour if you just bring in the gear packs. some might even do it for a case of beer.[/quote]

:lol: now that would be some good bartering, im in the LA area. Lots of shops out here but lots of bad work too, its a big business to rip people off in car city. An hour labor doesn't seem too bad tho, about 80-100 bux per hour at a regular shop.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:34 pm 

I don't know what you have done so far on this project but I just rebuilt my 5 speed 1994 and I got a complete kit on Ebay for $60 and it actually shipped from rancho cucamonga CA. The kit had all factory parts from Japan, same mfg and part numbers. bearings seals and syncrows. I was able to knock it apart and reassemble it in about 4 hours using factory manual. I never touched a Suzuki trans before in my life. You need a puller a spliter and a 12 ton press.
Be careful there are balls that fall out and you need to get them back where they belong.
Let me know if you need any information.