TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:31 am 

Hi All,

I'm currently most of the way through swapping a G10A from a '92 Swift into my '85 Mighty Boy. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple here but I've spent most of the evening going in circles and am getting rather frustrated, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

The starter on a G10 should have three wires going to it, correct? Main power cable from the battery, a wire from the starter switch, and a third leading back to the igniter/distributor. That's what I had on the F5A in the Mighty Boy originally, and what I can gather should be happening from different wiring diagrams I've managed to find.

Problem is, I can't find a third terminal on the starter. Now admittedly the engine is in the car and space is somewhat limited, but it really doesn't seem like it should be this hard. At the moment I have the main battery cable on the larger lug, a smaller wire leading back to the the starter switch attached to a small terminal, and that's it. There should be a third connection, yes? Am I imagining this? If not, where should said terminal be? Anyone got a photo handy?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Last edited by jeo on Wed May 25, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:47 am 

There is a link to a FSM (Factory Service Manual) somewhere on this site.

The short answer to your question is that there are only 2 wires from the starter motor, the main power to battery +, and the other wire to the starter switch (via the clutch pedal over-ride if you are keeping that).

The starter motor is of course grounded directly through the lug from the solenoid.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:55 pm 

That helps a lot. Not going blind/crazy. Thank you.

Next question I guess then is where should the distributor/igniter wiring go? Currently I have the main lead plus two smaller wires coming from the igniter; lead to the centre of the distributor, one small wire going to a switched 12v+, and the other leading towards the underside of the distributor. Two wires from the distributor; one going back to the igniter, and the other is currently just floating as that what I thought had to go back to the starter.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:52 pm 

You might want to look at Fig. 3: ECM (1.3L), Fuel Pump Distributor, Fuel Injection, Engine Sensors, Fuel Pump Relay starting on page 14 of the wiring diagram on metroxfi.com

http://metroxfi.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/suzuki_swift_1992.pdf

[edit] The diagrams are for a 4 cylinder G13 Swift with MPFI (multiple point fuel injection) or TBI (throttle body fuel injection), but the igniter design and wiring colour codes for the TBI variant should be similar enough for you to use as a guide for a 3 cylinder G10.
Focus on igniter, ignition coil and distributor wiring relationship.

I am not 100% sure if there are any differences between the North American vs. JDM/AUS spec G10 though..

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:56 am 

Legend. Thank you very much.