TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:30 am 

I have a G16B from a Vitara including a vitara 5spd box which I have in a Suzuki Sierra (Samurai in the US)

I've done a bit of reading on here but cant find much in the way of what people have done to turbo these engines on here

My plan is to naturally rebuilt the engine as a N/A engine will never cope with increased power and nor will the ECU

Been in Australia most tuners out here usually use the likes of Motec, Autronic and Microtech, I believe Microtech do a plug & play ECU for the vitara??

How strong are the G16B engine, is there any known problems that need to be addressed with them, cranks. rods etc..

Whats the best combo to get some good "reliable" power from them, taking into the fact it will be used in a 4WD and not over the 1/4mile, taking into account im running a manual and not a automatic gearbox, the last thing i want is a laggy turbo spooling up

any info would be much appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:41 pm 

depends on how much power youre looking for. if you limit it to 6-8 psi you should be ok. (i havent done mine yet but im planning on putting one on in the next few months.)

the OE ecu with a piggyback fuel controller (apexi safc for example) should take care of fueling for you. im not sure if the greddy emanage can control timing for these but if it will that will be optimal without having to go full standalone.

ive never seen a microtech but i hear its popular down there. motec will do anything you want it to.

as for turbo ill be using a td04-9b on my 1.6 this is the stock turbo from a mitsubishi 3000gt (gto). the front would probably be the easier one to use (standard outlet instead of a bolt on flange)

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:40 pm 

VR4 wrote:
depends on how much power youre looking for. if you limit it to 6-8 psi you should be ok. (i havent done mine yet but im planning on putting one on in the next few months.)

the OE ecu with a piggyback fuel controller (apexi safc for example) should take care of fueling for you. im not sure if the greddy emanage can control timing for these but if it will that will be optimal without having to go full standalone. - will go standalone ecu for future upgrades

ive never seen a microtech but i hear its popular down there. motec will do anything you want it to.

http://microtechefi.com/

as for turbo ill be using a td04-9b on my 1.6 this is the stock turbo from a mitsubishi 3000gt (gto). the front would probably be the easier one to use (standard outlet instead of a bolt on flange) could be a pitta to install a FWD turbo on a RWD vehicle, motor is mounted north/south in engine bay, I've heard of people using stock nissan S15 Silvia turbo's and other small stock nissan turbo's, problem is most of these run a ceramic exhaust wheel and are prone for snapping off after 15psi boost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:12 pm 

a turbo is a turbo. doesnt make a difference how the engine was mounted.

in other news did you need ot do a body lift to fit the g16? a friend is on the fence about doing a g13 16v or g16 in his sammy but doesnt want to do a body lift

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:15 pm 

from what i can tell as i did not build the zook, the bodylift was needed to clear the transmission i think

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:23 am 

so back to the subject, if i was to rebuild the g16b to handle boost been that it is in a 4wd Sierra/Samurai what is required, can i use the stock crank , will the stock rods hold up , to drop the compression what pistons do i use, what about the head gasket will i need to run a copper gasket do i need to run ARP head studs etc etc etc.....

obviously i would be interested in hearing from someone who has gone down this road before and knows what works and what doesn't

Im not looking for 300kw at the wheels as its not a 1/4 mile car, but i want a engine that will be reliable when built properly, even 150kw's would be enough at the wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:08 am 

I am currently at 225/225. At 13psi. You need some forged rods and I would do forged d16 pistons to do about 9.8 to 1b compression this way you have power it of boost. For what your doing you could either go with a decent size turbo it a small one and do good. The question is what are your plans on what your doing you with it? Stock crank is fine no matter what some say............ I did arp main studs and head studs to be safe. Do A G16 MLS headgasket frlm the jdm van. Other wise my motor is about stock with gt 1.3 head. I'm using a hy35 holset on my car that is a little laggy but that's what I wanted. Hbut if need be snti lag and its there. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 am 

ZOOK_AU wrote:
VR4 wrote:

the OE ecu with a piggyback fuel controller (apexi safc for example) should take care of fueling for you. im not sure if the greddy emanage can control timing for these but if it will that will be optimal without having to go full standalone. - will go standalone ecu for future upgrades

http://microtechefi.com/

as for turbo ill be using a td04-9b on my 1.6 this is the stock turbo from a mitsubishi 3000gt (gto). the front would probably be the easier one to use (standard outlet instead of a bolt on flange) could be a pitta to install a FWD turbo on a RWD vehicle, motor is mounted north/south in engine bay, I've heard of people using stock nissan S15 Silvia turbo's and other small stock nissan turbo's, problem is most of these run a ceramic exhaust wheel and are prone for snapping off after 15psi boost

The skyline is the ones carrying the ceramic turbine wheel..They usually go boom after 15psi.....The silvia turbos aren't ceramic wheeled and can push more boost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am 

I'm pretty sure the s15 is ceramic wheel

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 pm 

When I used the sr20 t25 I wasn't impressed in the power. The small master power I replaced it with was a lot better. To me one of the t25/t28 would be too small. But that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:07 am 

VR4 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the s15 is ceramic wheel

The S15 uses the Garrett GT2560R(GT28R) first gen turbocharger....Later garrett then changed the turbine housing to a high resist nickle material. Other than the different turbine housings both are exactly the same carrying an inconel turbine wheel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 pm 

so does anyone on here sell turbo exhaust manifolds to suit the g16b either in low mount of high mount fitment??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:42 pm 

Hi,

Form what car did you use fuel injectors in g16b?