TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How much boost ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm 

How much boost can I run safely on 91 octane gasoline ? This is on a stock G13B with a intercooled T 25turbo and a Garndi turbo chip. I want to be on the safe side of things and just run pump gas .

Ken........

Post subject: Re: How much boost ?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:10 am 

I ran about 5psi initially with similar setup, and it was quick but not quite enough to be crazy fun. Bumped it up to 8-10psi and it worked great, fast as hell and zero issues on 91 octane for 2 summers. I have the same chip as you. I think at the 8-10psi mark you have a really fun car that won't break, that's why I never went further. I ran 14.3 in the 1/4 pretty easily, I'm sure it's got more, but I never felt the need to push it until it broke, I must be getting old....

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:42 am 

Presume you mean AKI or (R+M)/2 91 fuel? The Garndi chip (developed in Australia) was designed to work with our RON 91 fuel (which is around 87 AKI). You can definitely push some more boost. With a T25 as mentioned 8-10psi works well (around what I ran with that setup). Tried and true package. Just watch fuel flow as the standard pump is barely up to it at that sort of power level. I have run 11-12 psi with a standard engine. Have gone up to around 15-17 with water injection but frankly by that point everything else needs to be built up to deal with the power levels.

For an awesome fuel efficient, fast, reliable package tweaking it up to 8-10psi is more than enough for a fun daily (still recommend a heavy duty clutch, an LSD of some sort and take care of the gearbox oil regularly).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:40 am 

Thanks for the info. I'm just gonna keep the boost down to around 7 pounds and see if I like it.

Ken............

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:04 pm 

I'm expecting a report back as soon as you try it out, I think you will be really happy. I suspect you will not have trans issues, I don't know you but I'm guessing you aren't a burnout in front of the school kinda guy. Haha. If you are aware of the trans being weak, you can adjust your driving style slightly and prolong trans life in my opinion. I don't power shift, and use discretion to prevent wild tire spin which is what kills the diff pin and such in there.
That said, it's a bit addictive to hit boost and light the tires in second even with a passenger, who will generally be pretty shocked and usually terrified by the top of third and your tiny car is still pulling like a freight train! It feels faster in these cars that something new and refined, which makes it more fun :)

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!