TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 am 

Hey everyone Im going to be boosting GT motor in my samurai and was wondering where you guys recommend I run the oil and coolant lines for the turbo.
Any suggestions or pics would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:30 pm 

I'm getting the oil for my tdo4 from the port on the front right of the head with a restrictor. I tapped a port onto the front of the thermostat housing for my coolant feed and I ran the return hose to where the heater core returned coolant To the coolant pipe. I've deleted the heater core..

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm 

I'm running my oil feed line from where the oem oil pressure switch is. No coolant lines on my td04.
Bought an adapter on ebay so I can still use the oem oil pressure switch. Thread is 1/8 bspt.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:14 am 

thanks for the info guys!!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:56 pm 
Suzuki Elder

there is a threaded oil port on the front of the engine just behind the oil pump. it is the same 1/8th bspt thread.

the oil pressure in this galley would be the same as seen by the oem oil pressure switch and the most creditable supply for the turbo as it is the first port in the supply line.

it has been a very long time gone by but i recall reading that the port in the head on the distributor end makes a very bad point for the oil supply for the turbo. that port follows all the valve oiling and hydraulic lifter action.

the oil galley at the rear of the oil pump will see the maximum output pressure of the oil pump, 55 psi, with fewer perturbations. 55 psi through the turbo supply hose is way overkill. you need to reduce the orifice size to about 1 mm to keep from forcing oil out of the turbo shaft bearing and into the charge air flow. the amount of blown by oil from the turbo into the charge air stream contaminates the intercooler very quickly and causes issues.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:20 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
it has been a very long time gone by but i recall reading that the port in the head on the distributor end makes a very bad point for the oil supply for the turbo. that port follows all the valve oiling and hydraulic lifter action.

I've read that also a long time ago.
I have two friends whose turbo gets its oil from there. One turbo is a Garrett from a GTR and it just so happens that this week he told me the hot side of the turbo is apparently damaged. Not sure if it's oil related. The other friend has a turbo from ebay. Turbo is still good.

Also a few years ago there was an article about the twin engined cultus pikes peak and this guy who did the article took a lot of pics. In one of the pics you could see an oil feed line coming from the side of the engine. Not sure if it's going to the turbo or maybe an oil pressure sender. But it's interesting tough.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:33 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the g10t turbo3 engine came from the factory using the oil port i described behind the oil pump. the g13b engine is very similar as all the g family suzuki engines are.

that's the oil supply port that jardamuth recommended and that was always the only substantiation i ever needed. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II