TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1.6L Esteem Engine
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 am 

I've been wondering if a manual 1.6L engine and transmission from a Esteem wagon is the same engine that was used in the 1995+ Swift sedans? Therefore would it fit in a 2-door 1995+?

Post subject: Re: 1.6L Esteem Engine
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:40 pm 

Yarbo wrote:
I've been wondering if a manual 1.6L engine and transmission from a Esteem wagon is the same engine that was used in the 1995+ Swift sedans? Therefore would it fit in a 2-door 1995+?

The engine head is the same. I would assume it should fit in the engine bay. If you have the MK5, which is the 1998+ fuel injected 16 valve, then you should be able to take the whole engine and transplant it in, and keep the wiring harness from your firefly because from looking at the junkyard it uses all the same components. i could be incorrect though. :arrow:

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:01 pm 

Its not the same engine, but head is indeed the same. It should drop in, may have hood clearance issues, the 1.6 is taller. Best to use the esteem ecu, I believe it has some pin differences that arent a big deal to switch around, and the esteem engine will likely have an egr sytem while the swift doesn't. Trans is a straight swap.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:08 pm 

Are you sure the head's the same?
Some had the injectors in the intake, some in the head.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:24 pm 

they are very similar, but not exactly the same... 1.6L in swifts don't even have injector bungs! :shock:

regardless, you can't drop the whole assembly from an esteem in a swift without doing some mods. you need to keep the swift gearbox, but you need the larger 1.6L bellhousing. the solution? bolt the swift gearbox casing on the esteem's bellhousing :P. as for the ECU I really don't know how much different they are, I never had to bother with that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:56 pm 

turbohull wrote:
they are very similar, but not exactly the same... 1.6L in swifts don't even have injector bungs! :shock:

regardless, you can't drop the whole assembly from an esteem in a swift without doing some mods. you need to keep the swift gearbox, but you need the larger 1.6L bellhousing. the solution? bolt the swift gearbox casing on the esteem's bellhousing :P. as for the ECU I really don't know how much different they are, I never had to bother with that.

Care to detail why you can't use the esteem box? Im going to be doing this swap eventually so any info its appreciated.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 pm 

VR4 wrote:
turbohull wrote:

Care to detail why you can't use the esteem box? Im going to be doing this swap eventually so any info its appreciated.

Guess ill just have to figure it out myself...

too many others to list

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:49 am 

Do a search. It's been covered just recently.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:05 am 

You can just use the esteem 1.6 gear box. I'm just about certain it is the identical box to the smaller (g10,g13) gearbox, with 3.79 final drive ratio and a different front case half with the larger 1.6 bellhousing opening.
There is a bit of confusion on this thread between the newer esteem 1.6 setup and the older swift 1.6 setup. They are quite different, the swift uses the stronger bigger trans that needs modifications to go into a mk4+(that is very well documented in a recent post showig the full conversion.). The swift also uses throttle body injection, hence the lack of injectors in the head mentioned in a post here. Visually the esteem 1.6 head and powertrain looks nearly identical to a 98+ swift 1.3 16v setup, apart from taller height and egr. Possible hood clearance issue perhaps though?
The obvious risk of putting a 1.6 on the smaller gearbox is breakage if its abused, but the esteem wagon(much heavier than a swift) used the 1.6 and small trans and they work fine generally from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:31 pm 

Well I just got an esteem motor/trans. The center case is infact different. The trans mount is different. Easy fix.

It looks like ill be doing the swap in the next week or 2. Questioning the carrier bearing mount for the half shaft as I previously heard it is different. Ill know soon.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:36 pm 

Center case has been swapped on the trans (my swift internals are trashed so im using only the swift center case).

The support bearing mount is different so I'm going to figure out what to do about that. Need to pick up the esteem part and see if the length is the same as the swift.

Looks like I'll be putting the engine back in later this week. Might wait for the weekend since its supposed to cool down. No fun doing this in the sun and 95° temps.

almost forgot...the 1.6 bellhousing doesn't have a boss for the shifter support rod stud. That is going to be the most difficult workaround I can think of. The swift center housing does have a boss in the esteem location though. Ill try to remember to get pics.

Edit: it lives. I dont recommend doing the swap. So much crap is different between the 2 engines (98 g13 and 98 g16) its rediculous. Boss locations, boss machined height, the angle of the support bearing bolts, etc.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:44 pm 

It drives. Still have a few details to work out but it does drive and is significantly quicker.

Ill post up a thread detailing the swap next time I get on a computer. No real pics to speak of but ill get pics of the trouble spots on the 1.3 and comment on whats different.

Total time invested in the swap including pulling the engine out of the car at the junkyard was about 6 hours

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:35 pm 

why not just bore out the 1.3 block to 1.6L ? is this possible ?

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:48 pm 

No.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:12 am 

So let me get this right. I can use a 16v Esteem 1.6L with a Swift transmission as long as I keep the Esteem bellhousing?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:43 am 

Yarbo wrote:
So let me get this right. I can use a 16v Esteem 1.6L with a Swift transmission as long as I keep the Esteem bellhousing?

more to it than that. but if you break it down to the pure basics, yes. i started a thread covering the main points and will be adding to it when i go get pics of the points of interest.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:46 pm 

codyb76 wrote:
There is a bit of confusion on this thread between the newer esteem 1.6 setup and the older swift 1.6 setup. They are quite different, the swift uses the stronger bigger trans that needs modifications to go into a mk4

Cody, did you get the Swift & the Esteem mixed up? Did you add to the confusion? Because I am even more confused! I never knew the swift had a 1.6 engine and I thought the Esteem had the stronger bigger trans?

I am interested in doing the swap for the sole purpose of getting away from the 1.3 Swift trans and being able to put the stronger 1.6 trans it my '93 GT. If I have the 1.6 block, I should be able to use the 1.6 trans? ...correct?

• 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 pm 

I always thought the Esteem and Swift 1.6 trans were the same, except for the linkage.

The Swift sedan came with a 1.6 in Canada (92-94?)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:09 pm 

I did not get the swift and Esteem mixed up. I thought I clarified quite accurately.
To recap: I only speak from what I know(Canadian models, unsure about other locations). For a couple years (90-92? maybe 94) There was a swift sedan produced with a 1.6L 16v engine. This engine had throttle body injection. It came with a cable shifted, hydraulic clutch transmission, with I'm pretty certain 3.79 final drive ratio. This is the 'big' trans that wont break. I have one sitting in my shop, Its certainly heavier and larger, has different axles, mounts, shifter etc.
The Esteem 95-98 maybe 99 used a 1.6L 16V engine with multi port injection. This engine looks nearly identical to the 98-01 swift/metro/firefly 1.3L 16V engine. I havent confirmed the heads are identical, but they sure look that way. I just dont know if the esteem 1.6 uses larger valves or ports, but I doubt it. The transmission in the Esteem is internally identical(other than the subtle differences that gt trans have, and ratio differences between models) to the Metro/swift/firefly transmissions. Suzuki put a different case half on the smaller swift/metro trans in order to adapt it to fit the larger 1.6 bolt pattern. It uses a 3.79 final drive. Vr4 has documented the swap to 1.6 esteem power in another thread, with some notes regarding mounts etc, but this is not the info you need for your purposes.
To sum up, you need a 1.6 Swift sedan transmission, axles, shifter, hydraulic clutch assembly etc if you want to upgrade your current transmission to the bigger one. I believe another member recently documented this in an excellent post where he installed it behind a turbo gt engine in a mk4 new body style. The esteem parts will not offer any benefit in strength, for whatever reason(cost??) Suzuki put the tiny trans behind a stronger, torquier motor in a heavier car when they created the esteem. This is to bad, as it would have been wicked to have had a source for stronger trannies if they used the older cable shift trans in the newer esteem models.
My fingers are sore, this looks like a Phil'n'Ed post minus the picture documentation! I think this should answer your questions and cover what you need to know. The downside is the sedan gearboxes are awfully hard to come by as far as I know.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:42 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Cody that is an excellent post, the esteem model is sometimes known as a 'Cultus Esteem' or in my part of the world a 'Baleno', came with both g15 and g16, due to the taller block height they made a taller bell housing and bolted upto the smalled framed swift gearbox, you'd be hard pressed to find a g series Esteem/Baleno with a good original gearbox.
The later model Esteems/Baleno's came with J series engines and large frame gearboxes eliminating most of the gearbox woes with the earlier g series models.

Yup if you can find one the larger framed swift sedan cable shift box is the best option for a bullet proof box.

Cody can you confirm the diff size in the esteem 3.79 box?
image_id: 15864

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:11 am 

codyb76 wrote:
There is a bit of confusion on this thread between the newer esteem 1.6 setup and the older swift 1.6 setup

Thank you for making that much more clear now! I never knew they made a 1.6 Swift. In fact, Swifts in the US (in any form) are few & far between. I also thought I could simply go to the junkyard, find an Esteem, and life would go on. Thanks to you, I now know that is not going to happen :shock:

So, I am now realizing that there is no real solution to the weak trans problem? The Hyundai trans swap is difficult at best? Suzuki racing development does have a $5000 solution, but that is crazy money for a stupid problem!

• 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:19 pm 

Use a J18/j20 trans. A member here is putting one in his Mk1, and says it's not a difficult swap.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:48 pm 

suprf1y wrote:
Use a J18/j20 trans. A member here is putting one in his Mk1, and says it's not a difficult swap.

Any similarities in the bolt pattern to the g16?

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:43 pm 

I think it's the same.