TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:43 am 

no pics yet but its doable. the hood closes with no issues. im going to note initial issues and try to get pics later.

first. numerous mounting bosses on the block are significantly different. swift intake and exhaust manifolds fit (same head) and im pretty sure the esteem intake will not fit in the swift body. i initially dropped it in with the esteem intake to keep the motor from being stolen overnight and its a very tight fit.

stubshaft support bearing. swift WILL NOT work in any way. the angle is different in addition to the top hole being in a different location. the esteem part works perfectly.

you must use the esteem alt mounting bracket and mount. the bosses for the bracket are also different not allowing the swift part to bolt up. the alt plug needs to be switched as the esteem and swift parts are differently shaped. the wire colors are the same so its easy.

bellhousing bolt pattern. this is covered and is a known issue. use the esteem bellhousing and swift center case. internals of your choice. now is the time to swap to the final drive of your choice.

water pipe under intake. needs to be clearanced to clear the bellhousing. a few choice whacks with a 2lb hammer did it for me. the mounting tab to the block is also about 1/4" away so it needs to be spaced to bolt up.

esteem coils dont fit (plugs are different even though they use the same amount of wires.) swift coils bolt right up.

rear motor mount bracket will bolt to the esteem bellhousing but is about 15mm away from the block and the bolt holes are in the wrong location. it appears a simple plate will fix this.

trans/shifter stabilizing rod. my swift part will not bolt up. there is no stud or location for a stud on the esteem bellhousing to use it. there is a spot on the SWIFT center trans case for a stud to make a way to hook it up. (this is where the rod hooks up in the esteem body) esteem rod is too long. i found one from an mk3 metro 3cyl that is about the right length and on the opposide side of the shifter providing for easier modification to fit. this i will need to get a pic after i fix it.

trans mount...esteem center case has no mounting provisions for the swift trans mount. swap the center case and its an easy fix. bolts right up as all other parts of the trans are the same other than the bellhousing.

more to come later....

too many others to list

Last edited by VR4 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:19 pm 

i did trip a lean code yesterday. im using all swift fuel/breathing/controls. i havent modified the exhaust yet so this MAY be a false lean due to an exhaust leak before the O2 at the manifold to pipe joint. im hoping ill have time to fix this today by welding a 1" length of pipe to lower the exhaust down properly and provide for a correct angle to the manifold. im suspecting this to be the issue as it does have lean misfire when taking off in 1st or 2nd. once it hits about 3k or in higher gears where the engine doesnt torque as much it runs very strong.

if it comes back ill toss in slightly larger injectors (maybe the esteem ones. need to find out what they flow) and a fp and go ahead and tune it. i cant use the esteem ecu as i am required to go thru OBD2 emissions where they scan for correct application.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:10 pm 

modifications needed to trans/shifter stabilizer. done using an mk3 3 cyl rod and the esteem mounting point on the trans. i just used scrap metal i had lying around so its not super pretty. i could care less about pretty. functional is all im looking for.

couple pics showing G16 height in the engine bay. no contact with the hood at all. i do need to verify if the plug wires hit. i plan on doing some 90* plug wire ends next time i change them

my old g13 can be seen sitting in the back of my montero.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:19 pm 

exhaust has been extended down about 35mm at the manifold. lean code cleared itself the next day and hasnt returned. fuel economy has dropped to about 38mpg with my lead foot and coming into colder weather. compared to the 1.3 when i removed it this isnt any loss. back when the 1.3 was good and well maintained its down about 4mpg on average.

1st gear punch will spin the tires and lay rubber. 2nd gear is hit or miss depending on road surface. this is with the stock 1.6 cam and stock swift exhaust.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:08 pm 

VR4 wrote:
1st gear punch will spin the tires and lay rubber. 2nd gear is hit or miss depending on road surface. this is with the stock 1.6 cam and stock swift exhaust.

same here. the 55mm TB upgrade really improved the power, along with a 5 speed swap from the 3 speed. however i might have to put it back to the 45mm tb because the holes i drilled for the IAC arent working. infact i think the IAC stopped working now since i took it apart to test to see if it worked.
that would explain why engine won't idle high cold or idle up with accessories.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:52 pm 

to bump things up again now that its got 10k on it...ive been getting a p0171 coming up in the last few months. monitored fuel trims and found long term at 12% and short term at around 18% at hot idle. O2 pretty much stuck lean. pull the FPR vac line off and fuel trims come down to somewhat normal.

decided to swap in the esteem injectors and immediately short term came down to about 6%. didnt give it long enough to correct long term but ill recheck those tomorrow. the O2 was also cycling properly so clearly the esteem injectors are a bit larger even though i still dont know flow rate of either one.

i was also getting a mild ping on WOT in 2nd and 3rd. well see if thats gone this evening whn i leave work. premium fuel was enough to make it stop.

edit: ping on accel is gone. fuel trims are back to +4% at idle (right where they should be.)

too many others to list

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:08 pm 

swift GTi manifold installed. egr hole in manifold welded up and smoothed. cat removed. sounds like ASSSSSSSSS

wouldnt have removed the cat but there just wasnt enough room with the manifold and the cat in the stock location. ill probably install my new cat (stock cat from 4.6 ford explorer) in the next couple days to tone down the hondafart.

bonus....didnt need to do anything to get the gti manifold to fit with the inreased deck height. its tight to the oil pan but everything fits nicely. did have to modify the head flange to match as the bolts dont all line up.

pics available if wanted. nothing special to see though.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm 

welded egr hole in stock manifold. no egr on the sohc 16v and hole doesnt come close to lining up with the head

too many others to list

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:19 pm 

Nice job. Making this a sticky.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:35 pm 

I guess i should put some pictures up showing the issues. Ill try to do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the sticky.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 pm 

So questions
In a RHD car, if you use the 1.6L engine, loom, ECU (gather it has one to control the injector) and the transmission all from the 1.6L, everything *should* just bolt up and work shouldnt it?

1995 Diamante 30RSE, Restoration project

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:44 am 

I honestly don't know. If you're swapping in a rhd 1.6 in place of a rhd 1.3 it should be the same as what i did.

As for wiring/ecu i used my existing 1.3 but needed to use the 1.6 injectors to solve the lean issue.

Using the 1.6 harness will probably involve custom wiring to mate it with the body harness. I only speak for the esteem/baleno 1.6 as we never got the 1.6 swift here so i have no access to any info on them

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:04 pm 

clearance from manifold to firewall. cant really see much but now that its in the esteem intake might actually fit.

the spacer needed to allow the rear coolant pipe to fit with the bellhousing. i used a nut.

the additional clearance i needed to make with a hammer. dont mind the oil. i need to reseal the cam sensor housing

the space between the rear motor mount bracket and block. its hard to see. as you can see i still havent fixed it yet and its been over a year now. ill get to it eventually.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:46 pm 

:thumbsup: awesome write up! Keep us updated please.

14 ford Mustang v6.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:48 pm 

Fixed images:

VR4 wrote:
modifications needed to trans/shifter stabilizer. done using an mk3 3 cyl rod and the esteem mounting point on the trans. i just used scrap metal i had lying around so its not super pretty. i could care less about pretty. functional is all im looking for.

couple pics showing G16 height in the engine bay. no contact with the hood at all. i do need to verify if the plug wires hit. i plan on doing some 90* plug wire ends next time i change them

my old g13 can be seen sitting in the back of my montero.

VR4 wrote:
welded egr hole in stock manifold. no egr on the sohc 16v and hole doesnt come close to lining up with the head

VR4 wrote:
clearance from manifold to firewall. cant really see much but now that its in the esteem intake might actually fit.

the spacer needed to allow the rear coolant pipe to fit with the bellhousing. i used a nut.

the additional clearance i needed to make with a hammer. dont mind the oil. i need to reseal the cam sensor housing

the space between the rear motor mount bracket and block. its hard to see. as you can see i still havent fixed it yet and its been over a year now. ill get to it eventually.