TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:09 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:07 pm 

I have a 1990 Suzuki Sierra/Samurai which basically needs everything done to it after five years of driving it into the ground, minus the fact it has a completely rebuilt G16A as of about 10,000km ago. Anyway, the sad truth is i've wanted a Mini Moke for years - 4W driving is fun, but not a massive passion of mine. I do like to camp and get outdoors, but i've found most places I go I don't need 4WD to get me there.

I'm planning to cannibalise the motor and a few other parts from the Sierra so the Moke is a 5 speed with Japanese reliability - it's been done before and is pretty straight forward with a G13. My Sierra was originally powered by a G13A, but with the help of an adaptor plate it now runs a G16A, so i'm assuming I can bolt this onto a 1.3 Swift transaxle without issue.

But if anyone can help - I need help with transaxle selection - i'm just wondering if there are various Swift transaxles or just the one. Being a 1.6 I want to make sure I start with the strongest transaxle option rather that a lightweight box that i'll soon tear to shreds. I'm not a leadfoot, but reliability is #1 in my books, and once the transaxle is in I don't want to have to look at it again outside a regular service schedule.

Is there such a thing as a GTi transaxle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:20 pm 

Oopsy - just spotted I put this in the wrong area. I'll try again

Damn newbies :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:52 pm 

You can get a G16 transaxle to suit preferably the cable shift type which is the strongest, bolt it to your current G16 motor and everything else should be straight forward...A donor car would be your best option as you can use everything needed to get your mini up and running