TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:17 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 pm 

Hi Guys, I'm pretty new here, but I've already got a bunch of great information that has helped me in my goal of getting my newly aquired '87 Sprint ER up and running. I'm having some carburetor issues, and I have a chance to get a decent deal on a reman/refurb Hitachi. Upon inspection, it has a single fuel inlet, where mine has a double inlet (or to be more accurate, I think, an inlet and an outlet). For the record, I plan on rebuilding the current carb, but I want to have the car running while I take my time finding a good MCS and fiddling with the float.

Does anyone know the various model applications for the 2 different models? (say, the double inlet is on ER models, or the single is for CA emission models, etc)

For those of you that know the intimate details of these carbs, are the internals different? If yes, how? Could I just swap the double inlet from my current carb and have it run as normal? Or, could I get away with plugging the return fuel line?

Also, any information about the difficulty and pros/cons of swapping in an Aisin model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm 

nwbanks wrote:

Could I just swap the double inlet from my current carb and have it run as normal? Or, could I get away with plugging the return fuel line?

Thanks!

Yes you can and (or) no you cannot. 8)
The people who drive the MK1 will be interested to see what you've got. :blackeye:

What altitude will you be operating the vehicle?

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 pm 

Thanks for the reply Phil. I live in Colorado Springs right now, so most of the miles will come at around 6,000 ft. But I'd like to be able to make it over the mountain passes we have here, some of which get near 12,000 ft. Any tuning tips are greatly appreciated.
I'll try to get some pics up soon. It's pretty ugly right now. The PO really abused it. The plugs were nasty, and there is a layer of crud about 1/4" thick over most of the engine compartment. The interior was filthy too.

Do you know why there are 2 different fuel inlet setups? Is there a different fuel pump associated with the single inlet model?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm 

nwbanks wrote:
I'll try to get some pics up soon. It's pretty ugly right now. The PO really abused it. The plugs were nasty, and there is a layer of crud about 1/4" thick over most of the engine compartment. The interior was filthy too.

Is there a different fuel pump associated with the single inlet model?

Yes, there is.
Don't worry about cleaning it up.
Most of us are used to the old ugly looking engine compartments.
My plug wires don't even match, so give a guy a break.
Just take some pictures as it is and over the years you can refer back to this thread to see how far you've progressed.

That altitude will be a little bit of a problem, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!