TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:19 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:12 am 

first off how about a little rant about the weak ugly problematic POS garbage stupid diff pin transmissions we run in our swifts. Fact is they suck, by far the worst part of the whole car.

Any imput would be nice. I know this swap has been done in the past but the info for it isn't easy to find. Im also going to try and do the swap without spending a ton of money because my money tree fell in the last wind storm. my goal is to have a tuff transmission that is easyer to come by and be an affordable for anyone that wants to do the same swap.

I am goin to use a trans out of an 98 hyundia accent. while the car is down for the next 6ix months, ill also install my 4wheel disk brake setup. i plan to have the car done by the next North West Teamswift meet in July. i have so far pulled the motor and trans out and stripped the engine bay of just about everything but the chassis wiring.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

Last edited by EngineWhisperer on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hyundia trans swap
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:05 am 

I am making headway. I stripped the whole front clip or the car and engine bay.
[img]DSCN0973.JPG[/img]
[img]DSCN0975.JPG[/img]

Attachments:
DSCN0973.JPG
DSCN0973.JPG [ 274.42 KIB | Viewed 2374 times ]
DSCN0975.JPG
DSCN0975.JPG [ 329.11 KIB | Viewed 2371 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:37 am 
Teamswift Racer

Compared to importing a swift sedan box and using factory parts I think this will be an expensive exercise, lots of case cutting, custom made/modified driveshafts, custom mounts, flywheel modification and a custom made clutch is not really going to be afforable for most swift owners.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Btw, there are only 2 or 3 people that have successfully done this swap worldwide. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 am 

Personally I would love a cable shifted 1.6 swift box but can't find any.

This hyundai box is a dime a dozen here. once its installed parts are easy.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:58 pm 

the flywheel and case will not be altered. Clutchnet can make a swift clutch with a hyundai hub so that and a adapter plate and motor and trans are mated. Custom gt outer and hyundai inners with a custom shaft will work. The only thing i am worred about is the speedo but that is details for later.
i thought more people did this swap than 3 wow. I think i can do the swap for under a grand. That is cheaper than getting unknowed junkyard trannys and breaking them every other day. Iv only broke a total of five. on a stockish motor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:52 pm 

Made some progress. got the 1/4 plate drilled using the bellhousing flange i cut off one of many broken transmissions i have.
image_id: 21268

i also drilled out a plate for my turbo/header flange
image_id: 21269

Last edited by EngineWhisperer on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:54 am 

Interesting

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:55 pm 

Update. I picked up a 1999 hyundia accent 1.5 SOHC trans, I also took the shifter assembly and the shift cables. The clutch master and slave cylinder and the hose/hard line. Clutchnet is making me a custom 4 puck soil hub clutch disk that is 7.5in but has the hyundia hub spline and it should be here in about a week and a half i hope.

During this swap I am also doing much more to the car like gt brakes and other cool stuff. im ging to keep this thread spacificly to the trans swap. all other progress will be on my build thread.

I still need both gti axles they can have a bad inner joint or be bent or bad boot as long as it didn't click too bad on the outer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:21 pm 

I spent a little time yesterday and got the dash out and got the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch mounted in the firewall, I am goin out to the shop after this post to work out the linkage since the old clutch cable was a pull type and this master cylinder is a push type. I know we all love pictures so here ya go.

I was surprised at how heavy that rubber mat is that is behind the dash. when i pulled it out the firewall was wet, a little more than damp but not drenched.

I Really need the outer parts of gt shafts. the part that slides into the hub and the tri bearing thing as well. Thanks to Justin i have two great axles that just need new outer boots.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:33 pm 

more progress. i got my 1/4in plate cut out and bolted to the block. i also got my unsprung 4puck clutch disk and stage one clutch from clutchnet.

I also got the hyundai trans sitting on the adapter plate.

With all the progress made i have run into a huge problem. the input shaft only slides into the clutch disk 1/4in. it don't slide on enough to have the trow out bearing touch the clutch fingers. i think i have a simple solution tho. i want to have a 1in spacer made to bolt in between the crank and flywheel.

i will also cut the hyundai case one inch and starter area so i can move the starter back 1inch as well by adding 1inch to the adapter plate. any other thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm 

More progress got the adapter plate cut out and welded studs to mount the block and trans together.
Mounted my spare block to the Hyundai trans and laying on my freshly put together bench i made.
I dropped it in the engine and got it level, i put the right front motor mount in and used the old rear mount to get the motor in the right place. I had to cut a little off to get the bracket that bolts to the stock trans to make it clear.
the next step i cut out the front lower cross-member because it is not strong enough to use as a mounting point for the trans.
I replaced it with a piece of square tubing i had laying around and welded a plate with two holes for the front motor mount.
At the end of the day its a tight fit, I'll cut out 1/2 in of the frame and reinforce it so i have a good 1/2in of clearance for the motor to move around a little.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 am 

I got some more done to the car, hopefully by the end of the month it will be in paint then final assembly

Got the motor and trans bolted together.
power unit is in. i scraped the front motor mount and fabbed a lower motor mount that in incorporated in the under body brace.
just have to weld the two axle half's together and take them down to make copies of them out of one solid piece of axle.
The cable shift setup is done and installed.

This just looked bad ass

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:40 am 

Nice progress. Good luck.

2000 Ford F350 SuperDuty Dually
2002 Ford F350 SuperDuty "The Beast"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi "My PocketRocket"

http://www.pitbullfabrication.com

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:43 am 

Can I ask how you got the alignment right on! ?? :shock:
usually the input shaft has to be perfectly aligned or its bye bye box

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:53 pm 

really simple actually, i secured a spare block on my table and drilled the holes for the block, then i cutout the center for the flywheel. then used the alignment tool and put the clutch on the flywheel. then i carefully slid the input shaft into the clutch. there is almost no movement when i tryed to move it around aside from spinning it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:44 am 

I wish it was simple in my mess of wet neurons!

EngineWhisperer wrote:
really simple actually, i secured a spare block on my table and drilled the holes for the block, then i cutout the center for the flywheel.
This part didnt needed alot of accuracy how was it achieved?

EngineWhisperer wrote:
then used the alignment tool and put the clutch on the flywheel.

Thats to align the clutch so the input shaft slides in easy enough for the next step
EngineWhisperer wrote:
then i carefully slid the input shaft into the clutch.

EngineWhisperer wrote:
there is almost no movement when i tryed to move it around aside from spinning it.

so the input shaft is perfect on to the rear of crank? Im missing how you aligned the rear of crank to the centre of the input shaft so perfectly?

On a side note do you plan on using an LSD centre?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 pm 

EngineWhisperer wrote:
really simple actually, i secured a spare block on my table and drilled the holes for the block, then i cutout the center for the flywheel.
This part didnt needed alot of accuracy how was it achieved?

To make the holes for the block i cut off the threaded portion of a long bolt and chucked it in my WOOD lathe and set my grinder on a block of wood to make a point on the end of the bolt. i threaded the other end into the spare block and set the plate on top of it a hit it with a hammer, this made two very nice marks to drill.

EngineWhisperer wrote:
then used the alignment tool and put the clutch on the flywheel.

Thats to align the clutch so the input shaft slides in easy enough for the next step

EngineWhisperer wrote:
then i carefully slid the input shaft into the clutch.

EngineWhisperer wrote:
there is almost no movement when i tryed to move it around aside from spinning it.

so the input shaft is perfect on to the rear of crank? Im missing how you aligned the rear of crank to the centre of the input shaft so perfectly?

The aligment tool is to position the clutch disk perfectly on the flywheel, i just bolted the clutch together and since i have a stage one clutch and a 4 puck disk it wouldn't move after tightening the clutch bolt's. that is how i got the input shaft inline with the back of the crank.

On a side note do you plan on using an LSD centre?[/quote]

Sadly there is no lsd for hyundai's yet because the are the same as our cars, throw aways that a group of guy's and gal's love.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 am 

we should start an OBX letter to see if the buggers will make one for us.
Im sure many in the hyundai forums are interested also.
OBX mx5 lsd centres are 370 usd or so!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:28 pm 

We could write them a letter but the r&d and production would make there's around 800-900 usd. At that price im sure some would buy them but not enough to cover the cost. it would be sweet tho.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:09 pm 

theres a guy in lakeland florida with this trans in his turbo swift gt.....seems to work well for him.

i am much more interested in this fabled 1.6 cable shifted box......what year make and model of u.s. sold cars is it in?

im thinking an esteem is the only suzuki sedan with a 1.6 i remember ever seeing? late 90s maybe?

any suggestions where to find this trans?

i was toying with the idea of a sequentially shifted 6spd xtrac box.....but im not a lotto winner so......

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:59 pm 

dethbrd wrote:
i am much more interested in this fabled 1.6 cable shifted box......what year make and model of u.s. sold cars is it in?

none.

canadia. 1.6 swift sedan got it.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:09 pm 

the speedo cable is something i havent messed with much. i moddified the stock cable but it being to short it broke the first clutch drop. it seems like a turbo like 90 eclipse or talon one would fit by the looks but i havent got one to do it yet. i dont have the room in the front of the car for that mount. the radiator and turbo get in the way. good luck with the swap. So far i havent broke the trans and i have given it hell. And quaife did just start making a lsd for the hyundai but is like 1000. And i agree with are glass trans being garbage and who every says they arent and havent broken any i want to know what your doing to keep them alive

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:30 pm 

I was thinking about just splicing together the two speedo cables then taking it in to a place to get a proper gear to gear equalizer thing put in. I also scrapped the front mount because I am also going turbo this winter and the radiator wouldn't fit. the last thing i really have to figure out is the coolant piping. and fab my header.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:31 pm 

I got a quote to have my axles made......... $500 clams :shock:

Also i find myself short an gt outer cv joint i had to cut mine off due to the clip getting smashed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:49 pm 

Hyundia :thumbsup: