TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:51 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Question: Is there a newer Suzuki large frame trans that can be adapted for use in a Swift GTi G13b? Similar to the cable shift trans from the legendary older 1.6 Swift / Esteem. If I were to travel from coast to coast looking for a heavy duty trans for my Swift, what would I be looking for when I get to the junkyard? I get confused when I hear J18, J20, J##, J??

…I will assume no new trans case can be used in an older Swift GTi

Second question: can a new trans internal gears and other parts be used in an older 1.6 cable shift case? What I would like to do is to purchase a trans from Australia, but the shipping exceeds the value of the car …in excess of $3000 US dollars! So my plan is to purchase the whole kit, and leave behind the heavy steel internal gears, differential, clutch & the flywheel. I just think this may cut down on shipping if I could split the case and ship all the remaining parts in two or three lighter shipments. If you can get the parts in smaller boxes, it can be shipped via Seamail. Then, when I get it back to the US, assemble it with a new Suzuki Sport gear set, light weight flywheel, LSD, & aftermarket clutch To ship a complete trans, it has to be done on a pallet and it costs a fortune!

I give up on finding a large frame cable shift 1.6 Swift / Esteem trans in Canada. I had one lined up in Toronto, but I could not get a passport in time to cross the border to go get it.

Thanks, Shimaze

_________________
1993 Suzuki Swift GT DOHC / 5-speed
1996 GEO Metro 1.0 3 cyl. / 5-speed
Other cars & motorcycle:
  • 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:18 am
Posts: 212
Location: Slovenia
i think swift 1.3 4x4 and subaru justy 4x4 gearboxes can be converted to fwd use.. and they have same internals (except ratios) than 1.6 gearboxes..
i never went for details as i'm not sure if i'm going to keep/upgrade my gti..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:01 am 
Offline
Teamswift Racer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 2325
Location: Christchurch NZ, quake capital
The J18 gearbox is effectively the same as the cableshift g16 large frame box, however the front half of the case is quite different and unlike the g16 box can't easily be converted to fit the g13b.

You might have to ask one of the aussie guys like Pauly or Dave Homer to see if you can fit the front half of a g16 box to a j18 box, might work... in which case it'll be much cheaper to import just a g16 front bell housing and then source a local j18 box... as for gearing, I wouldn't worry about trying to find swift sport gearset although the 4.4 would be nice, have a look at these mfactory gearsets, ridiculously cheap. http://www.teammfactory.com/close-ratio-gears_52


Yes the g13/g16 4wd boxes share the same gearset dimensions so are interchangeable but the diffs are much bigger in the 4wd box, not to mention they are very heavy gearboxes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:18 am
Posts: 212
Location: Slovenia
Dattman wrote:
The J18 gearbox is effectively the same as the cableshift g16 large frame box, however the front half of the case is quite different and unlike the g16 box can't easily be converted to fit the g13b.

You might have to ask one of the aussie guys like Pauly or Dave Homer to see if you can fit the front half of a g16 box to a j18 box, might work... in which case it'll be much cheaper to import just a g16 front bell housing and then source a local j18 box... as for gearing, I wouldn't worry about trying to find swift sport gearset although the 4.4 would be nice, have a look at these mfactory gearsets, ridiculously cheap. http://www.teammfactory.com/close-ratio-gears_52


Yes the g13/g16 4wd boxes share the same gearset dimensions so are interchangeable but the diffs are much bigger in the 4wd box, not to mention they are very heavy gearboxes.


if the diffs are bigger - aren't that prfect if you're going for plated lsd? (my friend broke every plated lsd in stock g13b gearbox)
and do you know aprox how much heavier they are? (compared to g16 fwd or g13 fwd)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Qc Canada
bostssgt wrote:
g16 swift, and j18 esteem/baleno and aerio j20 j23 boxes are sharing same bolt pattern
i have one j18 and one j20 box for parts and the housings are the same

Image

_________________
swift 2000
megasquirt efi
rx7 460cc injectors
td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Qc Canada
shimaze wrote:
Question: Is there a newer Suzuki large frame trans that can be adapted for use in a Swift GTi G13b? Similar to the cable shift trans from the legendary older 1.6 Swift / Esteem. If I were to travel from coast to coast looking for a heavy duty trans for my Swift, what would I be looking for when I get to the junkyard? I get confused when I hear J18, J20, J##, J??

…I will assume no new trans case can be used in an older Swift GTi

Second question: can a new trans internal gears and other parts be used in an older 1.6 cable shift case? What I would like to do is to purchase a trans from Australia, but the shipping exceeds the value of the car …in excess of $3000 US dollars! So my plan is to purchase the whole kit, and leave behind the heavy steel internal gears, differential, clutch & the flywheel. I just think this may cut down on shipping if I could split the case and ship all the remaining parts in two or three lighter shipments. If you can get the parts in smaller boxes, it can be shipped via Seamail. Then, when I get it back to the US, assemble it with a new Suzuki Sport gear set, light weight flywheel, LSD, & aftermarket clutch To ship a complete trans, it has to be done on a pallet and it costs a fortune!

I give up on finding a large frame cable shift 1.6 Swift / Esteem trans in Canada. I had one lined up in Toronto, but I could not get a passport in time to cross the border to go get it.

Thanks, Shimaze


the swift 1.6 box lower mounting point use studs, the j series is using bolts this is the BIG difference
you have aerios in usa?? get a tranny for an aerio! then have a friend overseas to get swift sport gearset shipped for you

_________________
swift 2000
megasquirt efi
rx7 460cc injectors
td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:51 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
bostssgt wrote:
...get a tranny for an aerio!


Image

Would one like this work? It is from a 2004-2007 Suzuki Aerio. How much different is this box? I can get this box sent to me for $450 US dollars. This is just the box and nothing else. I think one difference may be the hydraulic vs cable clutch? I would rather us a cable clutch to minimize the conversion and expense.

I would like to see someone attempt to put an Aerio trans into a Swift GTi just like bostssgt did with the Esteem trans.

_________________
1993 Suzuki Swift GT DOHC / 5-speed
1996 GEO Metro 1.0 3 cyl. / 5-speed
Other cars & motorcycle:
  • 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Qc Canada
go with this
DO IT :lol:
sure you can convert to cable clutch easy

_________________
swift 2000
megasquirt efi
rx7 460cc injectors
td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:40 am 
Offline
Teamswift Racer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 2325
Location: Christchurch NZ, quake capital
Well what the heck do I know about J series boxes, not much obviously :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:51 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
I hate to keep beating the J series differences / similarities topic, but I am still just a bit confused...

Bostssgt - You say:

bostssgt wrote:
the swift 1.6 box lower mounting point use studs, the j series is using bolts this is the BIG difference


Yet you say:

bostssgt wrote:
g16 swift, and j18 esteem/baleno and aerio j20 j23 boxes are sharing same bolt pattern
I have one j18 and one j20 box for parts and the housings are the same


I am certain you know exactly what you are talking about, but I am confused, especially about the lower mounting point studs versus bolts. Is this easy to change or were you being a bit sarcastic? I appreciate all of your input and contribution to the Swift community and especially for answering all of my stupid questions!

Also, would you happen to have the part number for the Suzuki sport gear set? I have a feeling that I could go to the parts department at a local Suzuki dealer in the United States and armed with a part number, I could order the sport gear set. This is commonly done for General Motors parts that were never available in the US.

_________________
1993 Suzuki Swift GT DOHC / 5-speed
1996 GEO Metro 1.0 3 cyl. / 5-speed
Other cars & motorcycle:
  • 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Qc Canada
you take the studs out with a good vise-grip pliers!
you should re-read from the begining, all the info is here
if you are after some easy and low cost swap this is not, if you affraid, leave it to others :lol: and keep the 1.3 dohc gearbox and put the overseas gti ratio in it an even with a 4.39 final you should be ok for 200hp turbo car and it will be bolt on,

now look what i mean on this pic (notice the lower stud on the bottom right of picture)
swift 1.6 gearbox
Image

this is the j18 esteem housing
Image

same as your aerio gearbox picture

i don'T have no part numbers for SWIFT SPORT gearset,i bought it from a redlinegti member, it's not suzuki sport parts that i have, if you want the suzuki sport gearset you can order from japan throught "monster sport"

_________________
swift 2000
megasquirt efi
rx7 460cc injectors
td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:51 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey, I finally got a large frame / cable shift transmission! It came out of a 2002 Suzuki Esteem with a 1.8L at my local pull & pay. The best part: It only cost $150 for everything & the shipping was free! Sure beats paying $800 for the trans + $3000 to ship it from Australia. My question is: Do I have everything? I got the box, the shifter, cables, & intermediate shaft. I never thought I would find something like this in the United States.

Image

Image

_________________
1993 Suzuki Swift GT DOHC / 5-speed
1996 GEO Metro 1.0 3 cyl. / 5-speed
Other cars & motorcycle:
  • 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:20 am 
Offline
Teamswift Racer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 2325
Location: Christchurch NZ, quake capital
Good score, what about the driveshafts?, sure I read the inner CV is bigger, I have been wrong before though :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Qc Canada
:lol: you still need the 2 driveshafts and maybe the center shaft cause this one is for the J series motor and i don't know about lenght and mounting point measurement !?

don't know about shift cable lenght on a esteem, if to short you may need to fabricate a custom support and could cut and weld a sleeve to make them longer , or maybe in a 89-94 the cables may fit niccer (because this body already have a version with this box)

you need the front transmission support bracket (to mount in a swift) and you are good to go!

if you want to go hydraulic clutch(realy recomend it, makes a big ACT clutch smooth on the pedal) you will need a hose, clutch master cylinder and pedals

_________________
swift 2000
megasquirt efi
rx7 460cc injectors
td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:19 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Jamaica WI
Wow what a very good thread. Well i have a j20a running the original J18 gearbox and i damaged the diff in the gearbox and i have not been able to source neither the gear box nor the diff in my part of the world. In need of help please


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 6:39 pm
Posts: 8
Location: San Diego, Ca. USA (ObamaNation)
bostssgt wrote:
:lol: you still need the 2 driveshafts and maybe the center shaft cause this one is for the J series motor and i don't know about lenght and mounting point measurement !?

don't know about shift cable lenght on a esteem, if to short you may need to fabricate a custom support and could cut and weld a sleeve to make them longer , or maybe in a 89-94 the cables may fit niccer (because this body already have a version with this box)

you need the front transmission support bracket (to mount in a swift) and you are good to go!

if you want to go hydraulic clutch(realy recomend it, makes a big ACT clutch smooth on the pedal) you will need a hose, clutch master cylinder and pedals


I have read and re-read this and other posts about this conversion but I guess I'm a little thick...I have a 1992 GT DOHC and am turbocharging it 230HP is my target. I also picked up both Aerio 2.3L and the Esteem 1.8L trannies. I read that the 1.6L GLX cv shafts work? what year? Also could I use the inner joint on my GT shafts (and yes I didn't get the shafts yet :huh: ). If someone could fill in the blanks.

Also would a J series motor fit? It seems too tall

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Qc Canada
you need all the kit from a swift 1.6 1989-1994
2 driveshaft and 1 half shaft bolted on the engine,
then you remove the bearing older/bearing from the 1.6 shaft
modify and press the bearing/holder from the 1.3 shaft(black on the pictures) ON the 1.6 half shaft(pink on the pictures)
Quote:
Image
drill a taper in the back and weld the stud
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
swift 2000
megasquirt efi
rx7 460cc injectors
td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 6:39 pm
Posts: 8
Location: San Diego, Ca. USA (ObamaNation)
Thanks I was a little foggy. So the years on the 1.6L Swift was what was foggy. I am in the States so I'll see if I can get some from Canada.

Thanks 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Qc Canada
warning if you use an aerio gearbox( or anything other than esteem 1.8 ans swift 1.6glx), i have one from aerio 2002 and use hall effect sensor for speedo, when you remove the sensor the hole is smalle and the gear for the speedo wire don't fit, you need to enlarge the hole (i noticed that with all the work done, the motor/trans in the car ready to burn rubber, D'OH!! now no speedometer till i break it again :lol: 8) )

also, the 4.388 final drive from 2007+ swift sport use a different 1st gear than the swift 1.6, they have the same ratio (3.250) and the same pitch but they use different bearing/shaft size, so to run the swift sport 2007+ gearing with a different final drive;
you can't swap an "old style" final drive without and "old style" 3.250 gear/bearing
(mine from a liana(aerio) 4.1 don't know wich year from)

so now i run swift sport 07+ gearset with 4.10 final drive with the swift 1.6 1st gear/bearing on the output shaft
i drove it a little and will drive couple 1/4 miles soon and give my opinion
if i don't like the 4.10 i hope to find a swift sport 05-06 4.235 final 8)

_________________
swift 2000
megasquirt efi
rx7 460cc injectors
td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Qc Canada
hi boost with slicks caused this small crack, the torque was to much to handle for the casing
Image
this is why i made a bracket to divide the load between all mounting points
Image

Image


my machinist made me two new housings
Image

Image

_________________
swift 2000
megasquirt efi
rx7 460cc injectors
td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group