TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:24 pm 

I have a 1990 Suzuki Sierra/Samurai which basically needs everything done to it after five years of driving it into the ground, minus the fact it has a completely rebuilt G16A as of about 10,000km ago. Anyway, the sad truth is i've wanted a Mini Moke for years - 4W driving is fun, but not a massive passion of mine. I do like to camp and get outdoors, but i've found most places I go I don't need 4WD to get me there.

I'm planning to cannibalise the motor and a few other parts from the Sierra so the Moke is a 5 speed with Japanese reliability - it's been done before and is pretty straight forward with a G13. My Sierra was originally powered by a G13A, but with the help of an adaptor plate it now runs a G16A, so i'm assuming I can bolt this onto a 1.3 Swift transaxle without issue.

But if anyone can help - I'm a newbie to this forum and need help with transaxle selection - i'm just wondering if there are various Swift transaxles or just the one? All the Suzuki's i've owned have been rear-wheel-drive, so I have no idea in this domain what options exist. Being a 1.6 I want to make sure I start with the strongest transaxle option rather that a lightweight box that i'll soon tear to shreds. I'm not a leadfoot, but reliability is #1 in my books, and once the transaxle is in I don't want to have to look at it again outside a regular service schedule.

Is there such a thing as a GTi transaxle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:21 pm 

The cable shifted trannys are the strongest. The rod shifted ones might as well be the same gti or not. The weak link is the gears themselves so the gti carrier doesn't really matter.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:12 am 

If I go to a wreckers for the part - am I after a 1.3 or a 1.6 cable shift (if a 1.6 option exists)? Might be a noob question, but still learning up on FWD Suzuki options :huh:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:05 am 

che_guitarra wrote:
If I go to a wreckers for the part - am I after a 1.3 or a 1.6 cable shift (if a 1.6 option exists)? Might be a noob question, but still learning up on FWD Suzuki options :huh:

Your after the 1.6L cable shift gearbox. The 1.3L cable box comes in 4wd form, might be harder to find, you'll have to convert it 2wd and it wouldn't be a direct bolt-up to your G16 engine. The G16 once you have all the parts needed would be easier to get you up and running

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:09 am 
Teamswift Racer

For a moke I would use a g15/g16 baleno box, basically the same as the 1.3 box but the top bolt holes on the bellhousing mate up to your tall block, then I would swap out the internals with a proper close ratio gti gearbox, in a car as light as a moke I doubt you would need the extra strength, weight or bulk of the 1.6 cable shift box, actually I would just ditch the g16 and buy a twincam unless you want a bonnet bump...