TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:13 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 pm 

is there some sort of adjustable shift linkage in these cars by chance? its a 88 g10 turbo.

i can get the car info first, but it pops out right away. the shifter is also extremely sloppy.

i just bought the car, well actually i just bought two of them. the one car has the first gear issue, the other has a stiffer shifter, and a good tranny. i am new to these cars and do not have a garage so im just trying to get informatrion before i go and freeze my butt off in the snow under the car. lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 pm 

i was just told it is a bad hub for first gear, and that they used to be available. does anyone have any info on where i can get a new hub so i can have the tranny repaired?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 pm 

there must be a broken or worn 1-2 shift pin select spring. they can be replaced on the top of the transmission case.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:37 pm 

just an update, the car has no sloppy shifter anymore, and i can easily downshift into first gear. i just cant accelerate from first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 am 

TheSilverBullet wrote:
there must be a broken or worn 1-2 shift pin select spring. they can be replaced on the top of the transmission case.

Wrong, nothing to do with this problem. The 'tombstone' shape on the low speed hub has worn to the point that the slider ring for first won't hang on under any amount of torque load. Very common issue on mk1 trannies. Suzuki must have caught it and redesigned the hub because mk2+ did not suffer from this problem.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am 

looks like an awesome member on here is supplying me with first, second, and a full set of syncro's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:48 pm 

i guess he was mistaken with the parts, so again, im looking for transmission parts. anyone have anything for me?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 pm 

aha.....the elusive Turbo manual transmission parts....there have been tons here that have tried to obtain those parts but not with much luck.

I myself picked up an 87 turbo last year with the same issues.

After some searching I did find the following place. But only got with them via Email to see IF they had the parts.

http://www.txchange.com/main.htm

1-800-776-1191 (503-284-0768)

I was in contact with a "Greg" at the time. I specifically asked about the 1st gear and all synchros for a 87-88 Sprint Turbo manual trans, he claimed that they had the parts. I never followed through as at the time I was not sure where i was going with the car yet.

MY plan was to take pictures of the damaged parts or actually mail them to him. I say that as there have been others that have claimed had the parts but when they arrived to the buyer, the parts were different. The guy I bought mine from, was such a case. Luckily for him the tranny place gave him his $ back on improper parts.

If you persue this, PLEASE update this thread with your results. If this source pans out, I will be placing an order right after you confirm the parts are in fact proper.

Thanks, MIke

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:21 pm 

Fist of all try putting a small spacer above the spring for the 1st/2nd selector shaft. Its under the first of the 3 bolts facing the firewall. about 2-3 mm should do. This fixed my similar issue. Sloppy gearshift could be one or both broken springs in the main selector shaft which centers the stick to the middle position. No real need for that to be fixed for proper operation. Sometimes 1st is hard to engage when the shaft bearings start to let go as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:21 am 

i ended up cleaning off the "parts" car, which turned out to be in just as good of shape as the driver car, with better (black) interior. so the first car will go up for sale, or be parted if i can find any interest locally.