TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 pm 

Needed to get some info on behalf of my pops. He's got a '92 convertible, 1.0, 3 speed automatic. Tranny has never worked right for as long as he's owned it. He has described the two main problems thusly:

Put car in Drive and it will only engage 3rd gear. Driver must manually pull shifter down into first to start in first, then pop up to second, then into drive.

Put car is reverse and it will hesitate for a good while before slowly engaging. Also, if you are slowly coasting back (like out of a parking spot) and pull shifter into drive before ALL backward momentum has entirely stopped then the car comes to a jarring halt and will not engage drive.

We are hoping against hope that there might be an easy fix here, otherwise we are prepared to track down a replacement from a junk yard.

Any thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 pm 

Me Wife has '93 1.0 convertible automatic and it has zero problems.
Here are a few things to check:
-first the fluid level
-second the shift solenoids.

Now my suggestions:
If you are serious about fixing it so it has 'zero problems' you can either use a junkyard transmission and simply swap it in.
That may or may not fix your problem.
mkc1962 found that it was his ECM.
Switching it out fixed his automatic shift problems in his '86.
It is the same transmission.
Point?
You can swap in a junkyard tranny and still have the same problems.

That particular car has a place where you put a fuse to check for codes.
You should check to see if it has any codes.

If YOU are going to fix it, of course you'll have to learn how to post pictures on a free web site like (insert name of favorite picture hosting site here) and link the shots so we can help you show pops what a great son he has.

My nephew sent me a picture of an oil puddle under a car. You couldn't make out the type of car or the color of the oil.
"Gee Uncle Phil, my car made a screeching noise when I started it and when I backed out, there was a puddle of oil all over the place! What is the problem?"
:huh: :huh: :huh:
"Did you check the engine oil?"
"It seemed to be OK."
"Did you check the power steering fluid?"
"I'll ask my mom to do that. I took her car and am on the way to the library this morning because I have an exam THIS EVENING :WTF:
He gets an A+++, but not in consideration, eh?

Obviously, other members can't be of more assistance without you adding salient information.
Maintenance history, fluid types, length of transmission dysfunction all come to mind, but without real 'meaty' information from you, all others can do is
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
tell you to
"try THIS, try THIS, try THIS".
Working like that, you may never solve the problem.

Take the problem logically.
Decide what your budget is to fix the car right.
Then go from there.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 pm 

I've got a good tranny for $150. Maybe time for a roadtrip.

Ken...........

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:51 am 

THe solenoids are not getting power or they need to be replaced to fix the no upshift problem. There is a small two
wire connector that comes off the back side of the transmission. The two wires feed power to the shift solenoids.
They use the case as the ground. unplug the connector and check each wire from the transmission to ground.
You should see resistance(can't remember what it should be). If you see an open circuit or really high resistance,
replace the solenoids.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:43 am 
Suzuki Elder

i usually run a temporary power wire to the positive post of the battery and use that to touch each terminal of the connector for the shift solenoids. listen for a click. if the solenoid is bad you won't hear a click and it's time to drop the transmission's oil pan.

once you have the pan off, the solenoids are right there on the valve body and are pretty easy to replace.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:34 pm 

[quote="t3 ragtop"]i usually run a temporary power wire to the positive post of the battery and use that to touch each terminal of the connector for the shift solenoids. listen for a click. if the solenoid is bad you won't hear a click and it's time to drop the transmission's oil pan.

once you have the pan off, the solenoids are right there on the valve body and are pretty easy to replace.[/quote]

Is there a source for new solenoids? I can't seem to find any.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:46 pm 

Rock auto sells them but they are pricey. I have some spares if used ones are ok by you.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:19 pm 

One last thing, it might just be a theory but I always wondered if the shift solenoid problem later turns into the burnt up/lost reveres issue because people sometimes drive the cars For an amazing amount of time with the trans in third, just hold the gas down and force the poor thing to get rolling painfully slowly!

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!