TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:23 pm 

dropped the valve body out cause wouldn't engage into reverse though maybe it was scratched or crap got in there so i cleaned it all out reverse worked fine for maybe 5 mins? then back too no reverse shifts about 22 kmh which it should but wont shift at all above 40 it bogs down like i have it in (2) tryed to adjust the park cable didn't help

what solenoid controls reverse and 2/3 gear? is it the 2nd brake solenoid or the direct clutch one?

what amount of air pressure should be applied when have the solenoids out of transmission to see if there leaking or not

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:44 am 

The electrical solenoids don't activate reverse. They only do the forward gears. The Manual valve controls reverse(which is controlled by the shifter being put in reverse position). You have internal valve or clutch problems.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:42 am 

problem is voltage don't make sense when tested connection from pcm i got 12 volts when i reconnect that wire too the solenoids i get 12 volts in drive 1 volt in the rest of them on both yellow and red wire? but when i test wire for ohms i get 13 ohms which is factory spec its not a internal issue not sure what is it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:56 am 

Checking the base internals of the trans is easy. Unplug small two wire connector that runs the shift solenoids. Drive car, all gears should work, but forward gears will be full manual (1st will be first, second will be second, third will be third it will start in the selected gear). This is why if yours won't go into reverse it isn't an electrical issue.
That said, the solenoid power is easy to check. Should have power to both when in drive with brake on(electrically activating low gear), as car starts to drive it only powers up one wire(which activates second), then turns power off to both which shifts it to third.
The only thing I've noticed regarding reverse and the solenoids is for some reason when they are unhooked the car will engage reverse really hard. I never went as far as to figure out what the solenoids do to soften the reverse engagement, I just know that once they work right, revervse engagement is fine. But as I stated before electrical issue will not cause it to not go into reverse. I have seen multiple trans failures with reverse, where they don't go in sometimes, but unfortunately, I don't know the specific reason mechanically or hydraulically why it happens.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:20 pm 

well after i did testing i hooked up other solenoids grounded them and hooked them up too the wires that go by tranmission and hit reverse i hear them click then i hooked up voltage meter and did same thing hit reverse and 12 volts then jumped almost instance too 8 volts so its pcm not staying with the full 12 volts too reverse which is should to make the fluid flow through