TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:03 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:58 pm 

I've been having to push start my car a lot this past week or so and two days ago I got this loud screech when I press in and out the clutch even in neutral. Also a lot of wheel hopping once I'm accelerating from first gear mostly.

I did notice a semi hefty vibration for awhile before the screeching began, that vibration was about 2k rpm to 3k rpm.

Thanks for any help. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:56 am 

My Dad's '91 S-10 truck developed a squealing vibration sound while engaging & disengaging the clutch. It only got worse and didn't go away until I pulled the transmission and replaced the clutch & throw out bearing. (UGH!!!)
I thought it could have possibly been the needle bearings in the flywheel pilot bearing until I got in there this Summer and saw that it was actually a solid metal bushing (which I had never seen before). I decided to put it back in and continue to use it after a neighbor took a micrometer gauge to it and found it was still within specifications.

Anyway, my arm-chair prognosis on this is is not good... based on your description, I'm thinking that you're looking at pulling the tranny to do a clutch job.
Not for the faint of heart, even when you're "only" taking on a Metro. Removing the tranny first requires removing the left side CV axle shaft. Removing the axle shaft first requires disconnecting the left side wheel hub. Disconnecting the hub requires lifting the front of the car off the ground & removing the tire. This puts a shade tree mechanic at grave risk if not done properly. With no front left tire to support the weight on the front left corner of the car, safely blocking up the front of the car is absolutely critical. Also, due to the irregular shape of the bottom of the tranny, some people - including myself - have resorted to lowering the tranny back in place from above, suspended by chain link from an engine hoist rather than trying to balance it on a floor or transmission jack while lifting it up into position from underneath, just to avoid the risk of having the transmission fall off the jack.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:20 pm 

Make sure all your transmission to engine bell housing bolts are tight first and foremost. Apart from that transmission will likely need to come out to inspect clutch and components.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:12 pm 

boy. someone makes it sound hard to get a trans out. i can have one out and completely apart in 45 min. someone who has never done one should take about an hour and a half max. as for putting it back in have someone lift from the bottom and someone help on top and it can be back in, in about an hour with experience or 2 hours without. but it does sound like a throw out bearing went. most clutch kits should come with one. and always change the clutch well its apart. they are cheap enough.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:12 am 

I took out the trans but now I want to lighten the flywheel some.

Any leads on a good machine shop in LA?