TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tricky Transmission ...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 pm 

Hi everyone , this is my first and diffidently not last post as Im eager to learn more about our cars . Im fairly new to this forum as well as to these cars ( I'm referring to my 88 chevy sprint turbo). Im replacing or should i say trying to replace my clutch. My friend (a mechanic ) and I (a backyard mechanic) cant seem to get the transmission back on today. We've tried everything we could think of and even broke a few censors our of frustration trying to jam it in but to no avail. Ive spent quite a bit of time search for information but could not find anything :blackeye: . Can some one give me information or the link on it. Than you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:09 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Make sure that the clutch friction disc is perfectly aligned.. If it is out even the slightest, you won't be able to get the input shaft to slide in as far as it needs too.. I like to drop the intermediate shaft too and install that after so I don't have to fight with it's alignment as well when trying to line things up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i always pull the engine and transmission out of the car as a power unit and do all my work outside the car. i find it much easier to stand the engine up on it's timing end and lower the transmission straight down onto the rear of the engine.

after having fought some transmissions back onto engines in the car, it really only takes one bad one to make it easier to do all of them out of the car.

i don't think that the mk1 turbo3 cars have an intermediate shaft.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:28 pm 

Thanks guys for your quick reply's. I was hoping their was some sort of trick i was missing to get it back on because I did end up take EVERYTHING off, on and around the trans in order to get better clearance and easier movement but that didn't help. As for taking the whole engine out my skill set is not at that point where i can do that without at least 2 months of time to put it back together lol. Any other ideas would be great. Im using my supra as a daily bc of this and its a killing me to do that to her.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:16 am 

Did you use an alignment tool? If so go back and recheck to make sure its lined up right. The tool should fit in the disk and the pilot bearing no sweat. When I am doing a clutch on one of these cars, I first remove the extra stud that acts as a lower bell housing bolt. Its a drag getting it and the pilot to line up. When I am bolting the clutch on, I start with the bottom bolt on the pressure plate and tighten it just to contact with the plate. Don't tighten them yet. Then I do the top the same, just till it touches the plate, then one side and then the final set. Once they are all touching. I start back at the bottom and tighten it a little. Be mindful that when you tighten the first one of two bolts it can pinch the friction disk out of the center alignment. So you have to keep the alignment tool centered. Then work all the other bolts tight in a pattern. Once its all tightened down, check to make sure its still in the center. Then turn the flywheel just about 90 degrees. This helps in case the tool sagged down. Make sure to use a little Loctite ont he pressure plate bolts. Don't hold the trans by the throw out arm when installing the unit. It flops around the the throw out bearing comes off the collar. You won't find out until the unit is installed and it won't shift. Hold the unit as square as you can to the block and put the trans in place. It does take practice though. Don't use the bolts to pull the trans in place, ever. It can damage the internals of the trans or clutch. If it does not slide up in place, don't force it. Make sure that the dowel pins are in place, they are very important. There will be a set for the trans, and a set for the starter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:40 pm 

one way to align clutch plate if you dont have tools is:
put clutch on flywheel and tighten all bolts just a little so clutch disc stay in place but it can still be moved with hand.. put gearbox on, it will "self-align" clutch disc.. you can also see that gearbox sit on engine properly.. then take gearbox off, tighten bolts on clutch pressure plate, and put gearbox back on..

other way (best imo) is, if you have another input shaft, is to put spare input shaft into clutch disc, so it will be aligned as it should be.. tighten all bolts, take spare input out and put gearbox on..

it's much easyer with right (longer one) halfshaft off the car too.. put gearbox on as much as it goes, then "spin" it a little (while input shaft is in centre) so input shaft will slide into clutch disc, then push it on those "centering pins" that are in 2 of bolts holes..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:19 pm 

Ok thank you everyone for the input and suggestion. Im going to give it another go tomorrow and take all this in to account. Thanks again and wish me luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:50 pm 

Trouble he is having probably has to do with turbo coolant supply nipple on the water tube. With it in place on Mk1 T3 its nearly impossible to get the transmission lifted up in place and aligned so it would slide through clutch disc. That's the reason I relocated that nipple . First time I had to do the clutch was enough to pull it out and do some welding .
Removing that tube is almost as impossible as aligning the clutch with it in place . When engine is in the car you can't even see the mounting bolt and also can't get a straight shot at it for the socket .

Guy that designed that should of been sentenced to 10 years of changing clutches in Mk1 T3 :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:20 pm 

That's exactly what's happening to me DTM GTi, So I'm assuming that there is no easier way to get it done :huh: I think im going to do what you did and relocate it so that this is a one time thing.... Thank any way guys.