TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transmission help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:28 pm 

Hey guys, I found an 89 GTi in a junkyard and took the engine and trans. The trans is good with only 70k miles on it. BUT the shifter input shaft is broken. So, I started to take the transmission apart. But I'm an idiot because I thought I could do it without the forums help.

I really with I would've found this first. http://geometroforum.com/topic/1387687/1/?x=90#new

So I have a mostly torn apart swift transmission in my garage and a properly torn apart metro transmission next to it. Of course the only part I need to swap is the shifter input shaft.

Does anyone know of or have a full guide to rebuilding or putting a transmission back together? It would be greatly appreciated so I can get my car back together. I have a truck ass well but prefer 40 mpg opposed to 15 lol

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Transmission help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:08 pm 

bump

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:58 pm 

What are you having problems with. That is part one of the guide. It should be pretty much the same tear down and build as a regular Metro unit. PM me pics and I will try to help you out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 pm 

cptnmrgn667 wrote:
Does anyone know of or have a full guide to rebuilding or putting a transmission back together? It would be greatly appreciated so I can get my car back together. I have a truck ass well but prefer 40 mpg opposed to 15 lol

Thanks

At the very least, you probably should replace the input shaft seal, right?

Here's the original thread I wrote back in 2009:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42589

It sounds like you found the thread I also posted on GMF.
Hard to believe that such a comprehensive thread gets buried on both sites.
:huh:
They do that to make it hard to find except for the most stubborn of mechanics.
8)

Use the post I wrote on Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 and work backwards.
It is picture heavy, and follows the Factory Service Manual, step by step.

If you have a problem with my thread, you can use the FSM, which has 108 drawings instead of pictures. The Chapter on manual transmissions in the '85 FSM, covering disassembly, repair, and assembly runs to 38 pages and you get to run back and forth to the 108 drawings.
You'll be guessing a lot if you've never done it before.

To take the guesswork out of your build, you can wrap all the good parts and mail them to j63812f of GMF in PA.
He will reassemble it for a reasonable price and you will be sure it is correct.
Also, if you'd like, he can inspect the synchros and hubs.
He has them in stock and if you don't know how to put a transmission back together, odds are you don't know if it needs those parts. A junkyard tranny is almost SURE to need 'em.

Be a shame to get it all back together and find it doesn't come back out of 5th gear!
(Don't laugh; it happened on a fainya rebuild, and it can happen to you.)
You still save a lot of money by installing the transmission and new clutch kit yourself.
Then you drive your money out of the car.
You still have an old transmission to practice on while you smile and drive. :lol:

In the long run, it would be cheaper to take my advice and send that tranny to Joel.

lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:16 pm 

If you are not going to use the rest of the Gti tranny, i know some one interested who may want it.