TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GTi transmission
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:08 pm 

I have an 89 GTi transmission and a 93 metro transmission in swap sone stuff around on.

A spring fell from somewhere when u was removing the gear set. I have the 3 springs from the top of the trans. I'm not sure where it goes.

And a washer I have no clue where that goes.

Help please!

Attachments:
FB_IMG_1459377718814.jpeg
FB_IMG_1459377718814.jpeg [ 148.14 KIB | Viewed 1714 times ]

Last edited by cptnmrgn667 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GTi transmission
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:09 pm 

Gonna try and and upload a pic on my desktop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:22 pm 

I think I figured out where the washer goes

But the spring I'm still not sure. I'm looking through the service manual and can't find anything. It's shorter than the gear locating springs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm 

Here's a thread on that very same subject:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61498

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:05 pm 

I know, I made the post. Like I said I printed out the factory service manual and it doesn't say anything about either the spring or washer. I've looked all around the post with the pictures and couldn't find anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:06 pm 

It's gotta be the reverse spring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:40 am 

cptnmrgn667 wrote:
It's gotta be the reverse spring

Teamswift members are pretty sharp.
This new thread doesn't instill confidence in your abilities.
If you are going to work on the transmission yourself, keep your work space organized, and in one place, like your threads.

Go back and read that thread I wrote about how to take apart a transmission and follow it word for word, otherwise, you might be in over your head, lose track of a spring, etc. Again, that thread will save you a lot of money by itself. My advice to send the parts out would save you additionally.
Somehow, it doesn't seem like you appreciate what we're doing for you here.

Try not to take this too hard:

Not everyone has the ability to rebuild an engine or transmission and have it come out as good as the factory intended. Look back at what you've done and ask yourself if your work has been successful or not, and what percentage of the time has your work actually resulted in an engine and/or transmission which worked as good or better than the factory intended.

It's still not too late to send the input and counter shafts off to Joel.
I'm afraid you're going to tell us you don't have the budget to send it off and have it done right.
Now's the time, before you put it all back together and find out the hard way not to bank on a junkyard transmission AS IS.

I wrote a thread a few months back about a carburetor from a JUNKYARD car which LOOKED like it was plug and play AS IS. After pulling a few parts off, and investigating further, I found that nothing could have been further from the truth. The carburetor had to be completely rebuilt and now it is doing almost as good as when new. But I had to really pull the whole thing apart and fix a lot of stuff. You probably won't find the thread. It would take you some time to find, and I'm not going to provide a link.

When you get to the point where a transmission DIY thread is too complicated, it's time to throw in the towel and send the parts off for a professional rebuild or pay a fellow member to do the same.
You've got to be able to concentrate on what you're doing, at least the first time.
After that, drunk or high, rain or shine, sober or tight, day or night, you probably can do it in your sleep.
Family, alcohol, and drug problems interfering with your abilities early in the game won't get the transmission fixed.
Once it is fixed correctly, installed, and the car is working right, then crack open the Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum. Until then, spend more $$$ on the transmission than on vices.

It's all about priorities.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:16 pm 

:goodpost:

Pacapo is right.

However, he is also sort of the "bad cop" around these parts.

Because I am a nice guy, and because I also feel no guilt about potentially misleading the ignorant with unverified falsehoods which they should know better than to take as fact without diligent research, in my highly questionable recollection those parts are: one of the springs that holds in the detent balls for the shift levers (under the three bolts/screws on the top of the trans--probably not the middle one) and the shim that provides the correct preload on the input shaft bearing where it meets the retainer plate, respectively.

As far as that shim goes, if you can get the shaft seated on the bearings at exactly the same depth as it was before then presumably you can use the same shim, however, I have yet to be able to get this quite right and the FSM specifies that you will need to get the correct shim to match whatever you measure when you reassemble. While the shims can still be purchased from either Suzuki or GM, you are then stuck at that point of reassembly until you order the right one unless you keep a full set in stock.

That little detail is enough to prevent many DIYers from getting a rebuild or reassembly correct. It might not be a big deal if you treat the transmission like glass, but I race my car and suspect that incorrect preload due to the wrong shim in my box contributed to the failure (like snapping of) the input shaft shortly thereafter.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:22 am 

It was not one of the shift detent springs. I set those aside separately due to them being different sizes and that stuck out to me so I set those somewhere safe. The missing spring was the shifter input detent spring.

Next question. I need to find a new stake nut. Just looking it up on ebay I found a dorman axle nut that can be staked. I could not find the thread pitch on it. Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:08 am 

I know I just said you need to get that shim right, and I suspect half the DIY-ers either don't or know some voodoo I don't know for getting to seat at the exact same depth, but...

Just reuse the nut unless you've done crazy damage to it. :roll:

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:02 am 

I've done enough damage to it that I feel the need for a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:47 pm 

Deleted my response.

Reason: I wasn't paying attention to the question and provided specs for spindle stake nut. :drunk: