TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:07 am 

Hi im a nube to the swift world but am a huge fan of suzukis of all kinds and have owned quite a few samurais but this is my first suzuki swift gt . I purchased this with a blown transmission and after reading the forums all day i realized the spare transmission that was supposedly ( bought off craigslist ) out of a wrecked gt. .... Well I realized its from GEO METRO 1.0 . (After reading forums) thanks !!

Heres the kicker , The transmission that was in it that was told to me that is was blown . Its a geo metro case with a Suzuki Swift Gt bell housing . I can tell by the silicone all over that this case was previously pulled apart which makes me wonder if the internals were swapped.

My questions is how can i tell if it has the 410 gear ratio AND GT DIFF etc . Thanks for any help I could not find anything about this.

- obviously the transmission is bad and needs to be disassembled but was wondering if there is a way to tell gear ratio etc without full tear down

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:07 am 

Phil N Ed and Wobblybob went to the effort to figure this out, it's very helpful:

Phil N Ed wrote:
I can't provide a video, but I can provide some pictures.
Here's the thread
http://geometroforum.com/single/?p=439157&t=4187023
and Wobblybob gives me credit in his first post (thanks for that).

Here you go:

3.79:

There are many threads outlining how to count teeth to determine the ratio and we should thank Lihtan and Dattman for their contributions.

If you follow the link to the geometroforum site, I'm pretty sure you'll also find instructions for doing it with the transmission out of the car. There are also lists of the number of teeth on the gears vs gear ratio, but that's just basic math right?

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.

Ayn Rand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:53 pm 

Does anyone have the link to do without transmission being inside car !
? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:03 am 

It's pretty much the same thing, but you have to hold one side of the output still while turning the input shaft with a ratchet handle, and a homemade pointer stuck into the other output socket. Here's the link:

http://geometroforum.com/single/?p=451348&t=4187023

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.

Ayn Rand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:11 am 

If you know it is a gt trans it should be 4:10 that all we got here in the states in our gt's.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:05 pm 

Take of the triangle shaped side cover and count the teeth on the ring gear. Someone one here or Geometroforum has the link with the numbers stating what gear ratio it corresponds with.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/3548347/1

Ken......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:50 am 

Thanks a lot everyone thats exactly what i needed to know. I got the car up and running today after it had been sitting for 10 years due to a bad transmission. New fuel tank , new fuel pump and a transmission from a metro installed ( hope it will hold up ). Just heard of 2 suzuki gt for sale for only 500 . Time to another project