TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:45 am 

Okay, as I always write this, I'm gonna write it again...

I own '91 swift GTi with G16A bottom end + some minor upgrades...
Engine was built 3,5 years ago and passed around 75,000 kms for sure...

It hasn't been opened for 2 years (back then, it was a little bit freshened) and I think it definitley needs to be rebuilt (or swapped with new one)...

And here is the problem...

I cannot find someone who would build me such an engine and to be sure it will be build right way...

Besides this car, I have also another swift GTi (my first car) sitting in my girlfriends garage waiting to be taken apart and lots of spare parts w8ing in my garage to do their job on a car...

I'd like to build an engine by myself, but as I never done this before (plus it's a hybrid engine) I'm in a doubt what to do with all this...
Stuff gets complicated when I tell you that I'm working and studying at the same time and don't have appropriate tools (which I would need to buy) to do this...

I have quite lot of "book" expirience but in the practice not... I'm doing a big research regarding 1.6 conversion and engine build...

Situation I have sure is complicated (as I am)... =)
Just want to get some opinions form you guys...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 pm 

Dude. first question is do you know how to use the tools and do you the technical knowledge to be competent enough to see the task through? engines are just like any other mechanical device. They need care and attention to take them apart and put them back together. I've been building engines for 30 years which include MG,Ford, Alfa Romeo, Subaru, VW, Audi and soon Suzuki and I'm still learning. Typically when rebuilding an engine I can take up 10 months to finish working a few hours a night. If you are studying I would suggest buying a good running engine and gain some experience just swapping that first. Good luck.

Chris

Mini Cooper 1.6 rally car #37
1989 Suzuki Swift GTI Parted out
Road cars , 2013 Hyundai Accent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 pm 
Sad but True...

you can build a motor in a weekend!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:21 am 

msg vela he is from zagreb too maybe he can do a motor for you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:13 am 

Hahahaha Sure you can build a motor in a weekend if you don't eat or sleep!!! I suppose it's possible if you throw it together? I'm talking about doing the valve seats, seals, matching ports, checking the specifications, testing the bearings for binding, re-checking, dialing in the cams, checking the weighs of the rods, cleaning the block, checking the rings, honing the bores etc etc

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:32 pm 

Rallyswift wrote:
Dude.

Hahaha...
I can imagine your face after reading my post.... :D

Rallyswift wrote:
engines are just like any other mechanical device. They need care and attention to take them apart and put them back together.

Totally agree with that and I am aware of it...

As I said, I don't have practice in all this (regarding engine and stuff), but I'm sure that I am capable to do this properly...
Actually, the only mechanical thing I have ever taken appart and put together was drive of an microscope which also needs to be assembled well and carefuly...

Besides that, I'm planning to take appart my old swift and eventualy start to dismantle engine...

Rallyswift wrote:
I'm talking about doing the valve seats, seals, matching ports, checking the specifications, testing the bearings for binding, re-checking, dialing in the cams, checking the weighs of the rods, cleaning the block, checking the rings, honing the bores etc etc

Yup... And also, the thing that I AM talking about... :D
Never did any of things mentioned above, but it can be done...

Only thing that bothers me is that I cannot see where to start (like buying needed parts for building 1.6 GTi, greases and lubricants and tools also)... I would sure borrow some things as it's foolish to buy everything...

@swift13b:
Yeah... But not me.... :D

@crnolic:
I know him, but I actually never met him...
Chense also is a guy who could help me maybe, but the main reason is that I want to do it by myself...
I am crazy about cars and stuff since I was a little kid who never had a chance to do this with my dad... LoL... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 pm 

To give you some encouragement my job is not in the auto industry. I have never been trained to build cars or rally prep them. I just started to teach myself when I was 16 but saying that you need that mechanical mind set. My first engine build was not so good but I learnt from that. Main thing is to be super clean and double check everything. I wear medical gloves and the build area is spotless. I use engine builders gease to build the engine and make sure I have good oil presure before even thinking about firing the engine. Also in the UK we have Haynes manuals which are excelent to learn about building cars. Tools I got used or borrowed. I ask lots of questions from experts.

Go fourth and build.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:13 pm 

@rallyswift...:

Now that's something I was looking for (your reply)...
Actualy, I'm not even sure why I have wrote this topic... :razz:

Maybe the reason is encouragment, as U said it... :huh:

Anyway, if I decide to do this, engine won't be built in 2 days or so... I would rather say months that will be spent to assemble an engine...
And besides that, if I want to build it properly (not just for fun) and to actually "enjoy" it and "use" it, then I'll do it better than a pro (even it's impossible, but who knows :D )...

And regarding "mechanical mind set"...
I know what U are talking about and maybe I'm on the right way to figure it out... :razz:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:19 pm 

cool! Take your time to pull the motor apart. Box, label and mark everything as in a few months you might not remember where everything went.

When I built my present Subaru rally engine I had 3 engines in pieces in the garage. A Phase I 2.5L, Phase II 2.5L and a 2.2L Subaru engines are like Lego, they all fit together. So I run a Phase II 2.5L block with Phase I pistons with 2.2L heads and 1.8L cams and rockers which equals 190BHP non turbo.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:46 am 

Rallyswift wrote:
Take your time to pull the motor apart. Box, label and mark everything as in a few months you might not remember where everything went.

Sure will...
I'll take special attention to this as this will be my first engine assembling and just because I want to be sure (I mean really sure :) ) where everything goes...

btw, should I maybe put 1.6 tranny on 1.6 GTi engine as it's much easier to put i on and there will be no side (I think it's the right word :huh: ) adjustments cause some things don't match...?
Currently, I drive GTi tranny and maybe it will be good to try 1.6 and see which one is better to choose...

And your rally Subaru...
When was that engine built? I assume that it was one of the "latest" builds... :)
I doubt I could make this kind of engine in my first assembling... :roll:

P.S. In your signature it says that Subaru has 200hp... And you said here 190hp...
Where did U lose 10hp....? =) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:55 pm 

I still learning about the various swaps but if you have the GTI box already working then keep that.

Hahahaha 200bhp...well the guys that put me onto this engine modification said the power was around 190-200BHP. I have never dyno'ed it but it feels pretty powerful pulled a heavy lump like the Legacy.

Yeah the Subaru was my last engine bulid I finished in 2006. The Subaru engines are a little strange to build as they are a flat 4.

I'm looking forward to building the GTI soon. I plan to rebuild the head first as that takes the longest time and then take it on the plane as a carry on to Costa Rica....hahahha

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:38 pm 

Rallyswift wrote:
I still learning about the various swaps but if you have the GTI box already working then keep that.

Hmm...
Box isn't really working like it should... I can actually be happy cause it's working!
It has lots of malfunctions, but I manage to deal with them... Although I'm a little bit worried about my tranny getting crashed when driving... :huh:

btw, as far as I know, you need to make some adjustments when putting a GTi tranny on G16 and if you put G16 tranny you only need to bolt it on...

Rallyswift wrote:
I plan to rebuild the head first as that takes the longest time and then take it on the plane as a carry on to Costa Rica....hahahha

Heheh... :)
...And for me... I think it's gonna be opposite...
First the bottom part and then the head...

I think it would be better way to start as I'll first assemble the easiest part... At least I think...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 pm 

what happened to the rebuilt 1.6 gti? just curious with the finished product...........

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 pm 

ponzy wrote:
what happened to the rebuilt 1.6 gti? just curious with the finished product...........

Uggghhh...

A little bit late, but NVM... :roll:

New toy came in my garage (ehm, parking lot :huh: )...

Swift has been sitting in front of my house for almost a year but few months ago, a friend of mine bought it...
It's pretty much like it was before one + year but now it's having a tranny transplanted... :)

GTi tranny is going out and stock G16 tranny with all accessories related to it will go in...

It will be a little bit slower but as it has much torque in low RPMs, it will be good, no matter what... :blackeye:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:23 pm 

Nice subby, any closeup shots? Specs? :roll:

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:36 pm 

G-sus wrote:
Nice subby, any closeup shots? Specs? :roll:

Arghh...
Now I need to translate it first.... :roll:

- WRC bumpers and rear wing
- WRC stop lights
- clear white side markers
- crystal clear lights from '98+ impreza
- 2002 WRX seats
- Sparco rims / stock 5-spoke for winter
- HKS turbo timer
- Forge b.off valve
- K&N filter
- custom made exhaust (silencer is home made [with STi '02 tip])
- Carbon Seibon hood
- Welded rear diff
- Some other things

Stock is 211 HP, but mine has bigger turbo (dunno the exact model) so it has dynoed 280 HP and 370 Nm...

Pics...:
http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x41 ... 1QQtppZZ24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:14 pm 

Very clean, love the hood and interior :wink: I wanted a subby before I got hands on my 4wd swift sedan, which is still not finished, but the subby is an animal to feed :mrgreen: would love one anyway, but I'll probably save up for an evo :-P

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:10 pm 

Thx... :)

My scooby burns around 13,5 liters per 100 kms (i dunno an MPG :huh: )...
Daily driving in a city with not so heavy foot on the gas... I floor it regulary, but only in short runs, every now and then (or if I'm pissed off by the traffic :huh: )...
When I was driving it like a mad man, consumption was about 15 liter / 100 km...

G-sus wrote:
...but I'll probably save up for an evo...

Traitor..!! :D

EDIT:

P.S. I'm thinking of buying a swift '91 GL 1.0 4x4... =)
I want to park my scooby (as my registration date is almost over) for some time to do some work on it and to have a swift for every day...
I would save lots of money on gas and I would pay off a swift in one year... (you can get them here for around 1200$ and scooby would burn it on gas in maybe four months... =) )

WHOA...
OT... :oops:
Sry...