TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:21 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:59 pm 

to keep the sleeper you would have to do a number of tricks...

shorten all the half shafts and the longitudinal axle as needed to get the drive train smaller
to go sans flares, tub the openings and/or cut the body in half to widen the whole car...

a lot of times whole drivetrain conversions are done by cutting the complete upper structure off of the donor car, leaving just the floor pan, then welding the 'desired body' onto whats left.

an old master of mine always said, "if you can build a box, you can build a car..."

as it is I just need to get my econo box on the road. hope to get my block /crank back from the machine shop today, head and clutch are in the mail, i'm welding up my seats brackets and finishing my 'race weight' dash this weekend :-P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:23 pm 

newby wrote:
to keep the sleeper you would have to do a number of tricks...

shorten all the half shafts and the longitudinal axle as needed to get the drive train smaller
to go sans flares, tub the openings and/or cut the body in half to widen the whole car...

a lot of times whole drivetrain conversions are done by cutting the complete upper structure off of the donor car, leaving just the floor pan, then welding the 'desired body' onto whats left.

an old master of mine always said, "if you can build a box, you can build a car..."

as it is I just need to get my econo box on the road. hope to get my block /crank back from the machine shop today, head and clutch are in the mail, i'm welding up my seats brackets and finishing my 'race weight' dash this weekend :-P

Ever looked under the hood of an Evolution Lancer my friend? It's pretty tightly packed AND the Evo chassis is several inches wider than a standard Lancer chassis, which is also several inches wider than a Swift.

There are also limitations as to how much you can shorten half shafts, etc. on a front wheel drive car - you have to allow for those wheels to turn L/R in order to be able to steer

I've never seriously considered it, but my Swift is usually parked alongside the wife's Lancer when it's at home so I have a pretty good idea what the differences in width are, and I've parked her car alongside the Evo in the showroom where she works (a Mitsubishi dealership) often enough to notice the difference in width there also - the only way you're going to get an Evo drive train into the front of a Swift is to cut it and widen it, I'd recon on a good twelve inches or so - and when you're through that, like I said, it's going to be that obvious, that you're no longer driving a sleeper.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:57 pm 

http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12193

SIMILAR drivetrain in a Mini. I like looking through old threads...it reminds me how little people use the "Search" function.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:47 pm 

ben23 wrote:
yer, i copped heaps of shit, like i said i was gonna do the barina up, all my mates are like, nah its a heap of shit, its a little tin can, get a [insert preferred ricewagon here].

Yeah, know what you mean about copping it from the friends. They just do not get it. Older people certainly get the point however. Having a serviceable small runabout is ideal, just in my case my runabout can and will haul ass when required :D

When I finish up my current rebuild of my GTI #2, I can take my first one off the road for a badly needed paintjob! The older GTI has quite badly faded paintwork, so looks more toward pink than red. I'm thinking of changing it to a nice glossy black :)

Which reminds me, I'd better upload those photos for the other thread :lol:

Rock stock 1988 AA33S SA413 HEJ574 Holden Barina GTI rebuild complete! http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39669 - Deceased and stripped for parts
1987 AA33S SA413 HEJ574 Holden Barina GTI MK1 - gone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 pm 

i have always wanted to throw a fwd (preferably a standard) v6 in the back of a metro. it would be a nice little mid mount project... capable of wheelies! :lol:
no engine in the front, vurtualy no front end weight, vurtualy no steering, maybe a wheelie bar... maybe not... could be fun... a roll cage would be a must... i still want to do it! :twisted:

May not always be pretty, but Rednecks Git'R'Done Good!

Post subject: Re: turbo'd 4 banger
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:23 pm 

g13b_destroyer wrote:
MURR wrote:
SRT - 4
nuf said

now those are uggmmooooo

Not to be ignorant, but what does uggmmooooo mean?

I bought my 3 banger Geo for ONE reason....mpg! I use it as a delivery truck and when you take into account the price difference of gas for my SRT4 and the Geo I am getting twice the mpg in the Geo. As far as the SRT4...I bought it for one reason....FUN! My goal in the Geo was 50 mpg, which I have broken easily with 50-57 mpg in warmer weather. My goal in the SRT4 was to have a reliable and decently economical car that will carry 4 people and run 12s in the 1/4 at 110 mph on pump gas and DOTs, which I have also broken! NOW I want to get 60 mpg out of the Geo by use of lighter wt wheels and some aero mods. The SRT4 will run 11s with only the addition of a fuel controller so I can safely run 25 psi of boost compared to the current fuel limited 15.

If I had the $$$ I'd take a SRT4 drivetrain and electronics and put it into my 1770 lb Horizon to still be streetable, get good mpg, and run 10s! A bunch of the old Shelby/Dodge guys are doing that right now! If richer yet I'd do a rwd conversion to the Geo with the modded SRT4 motor!!!

For the record, I made $250 bracket racing my Geo...two runs away from $1000. The times are 12.57 at 57 mph for the 1/8th and 19.84 in the 1/4 if I did not shift into 4th at 5700 rpm. Everytime I would shift into 4th (at the mph timer, 60 ft from the finish) the car ran 19.92-19.99 and was just as consistent as the SRT4!

84 Horizon / 1760 lbs / was 17.9, now 23.0 mpg
96 Geo Metro / 1590 lbs / was 46.2, now 60 mpg!
95 Neon / unk mpg so far