TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:17 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:54 pm 

I changed engines and the tps on new engine was a thee pin instead of four. Tried swapping but once I had them off it looked like it was way different so I changed throttle body and intake. Now when it starts it revs wide open. Could this be the tps or do I have something else going on? Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 am 

Does anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:50 pm 

check the tps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 pm 

If you could post a little more information about what you've done to the car (year & model of the old and new engines), it would help.

Honestly, I'm no expert on these ECU's , but typically the TPS isn't used as an input at idle - with a speed-density system like these, the MAP is the load input to the fueling table, and the TPS is just used to perform an 'accelerator pump' function. You should be able to unplug the TPS and still start and drive the engine to rule it out - you just might notice bogging and hesitation when you open the throttle quickly.

The engine can't rev 'wide open' without getting more air than idle would require, so I would check the throttle cable linkage and confirm the thottle plate position when 'closed'.

You should also check the IAC system - the solenoid valves can get dirty and stick open... they can provide enough air to cause the problem you're describing. You can unplug the solenoid and cap off the throttle body inlet to check its function - the downside is that the ECU will just lose idle RPM control, so if your A/C kicks on or the alternator loads up, the idle RPM's can drop below allowable range.

Like I said, I'm no expert on these engines - I'm sure there are lots of good threads about this type of issue that explain it in more detail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 am 

Definately sounds like a vaccum leak. Check gaskets and hose connections. To run wide open it would be a big leak that you could probably hear.

54 MPG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:25 pm 

check the iac as well.

sorry just noticed evan already put this

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:20 pm 

Take some WD-40 and lighty spray around the hose connections up near the TBI. (Don't worry about a mess. If this doesn't reveal any leaks, you can always just use a rag to wipe ip across your hoses and make them look pretty)

If idle drops or fluctuates at all due to the spray, then you know you need to replace some vacuum hoses.

This is also a good opportunity to clean the TB and lube your throttle cable. Make sure it's not binding or something funny. I had this same problem once and it was a stuck butterfly valve due to gunk in the TB.