TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:52 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:25 pm 

The roof hole patcher was just tube form of tar. had to scoop that out.
Now I'm trying MONO 555 construction adheasive. It's really old tube but hasn't been cracked yet but comes out like glue/gum. It's not black, grey but its seems to be hardening. I will find out as it has time to harden.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:35 am 

By the time this is all said and done you could have just done windshield poly once and been done with it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:48 pm 

airwerks wrote:
By the time this is all said and done you could have just done windshield poly once and been done with it. :D

If you want a good Poly that cures fast and hard... Lepage PL Premium

http://www.lepage.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=84

It's at Crappy Tire, it's at home improvement stores.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:14 pm 
banned and still posting

the problem i've had using anything to just fill the voids in a stock engine mount is that the plugs just squirm out after a while. the best results come from cutting out all the factory rubber, locating the center tube, and potting the mount with 80 shore self curing polyurethane.

if you're determined to use a stock mount, don't even bother trying to fill the voids with rubber. use pieces of pvc cut from plumbing pipe. i leave the slugs wider on the ends with a sort of point on one end. start the point in the slot and knock it in with a mallet.

that stiffens the stock mounts up really well. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:02 pm 

I just hit my rubber mount with my sandblaster to rough up the surface and clean it, squirted the poly in and after 40k hooligan miles and multiple dragstrip outings (with hard launches and aired down tires) mine haven't moved at all.

Make sure you report back with your findings on MONO 555 construction adheasive- if it's cheaper it might be a nice alternative to windshield poly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:43 pm 

airwerks wrote:
I just hit my rubber mount with my sandblaster to rough up the surface and clean it, squirted the poly in and after 40k hooligan miles and multiple dragstrip outings (with hard launches and aired down tires) mine haven't moved at all.

Make sure you report back with your findings on MONO 555 construction adheasive- if it's cheaper it might be a nice alternative to windshield poly.

Well after a day drying it's just soft like gum. The MONO 555 construction adhesive will have to be scooped out.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:13 pm 

TheSilverBullet you're soooooooooooooooo cheap,can't you afford a tube of window poly lol?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:46 pm 

just that im getting my license soon and on wedsday ill be able to drive to the store

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:52 pm 

Bought the lepage urethane construction glue. Going to scoop out the mono 555 and try this stuff...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:51 pm 

TheSilverBullet wrote:
Bought the lepage urethane construction glue. Going to scoop out the mono 555 and try this stuff...

It's starting to harden but its like spongy. I give it a day to dry out, if its no good this is getting removed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:03 pm 

Fcuk your impatient! When I filled mine I left them for a week to dry. There's a lot of 'glue' that needs to cure inside the mount. Do you have an understanding of the curing process? Just chill for a bit and give it a few days or a week to harden.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 pm 

The lepage stuff in there is curing nicely. I think this one will do the trick, I'll give it 3 days to dry as I can tell inside is soft.