TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:14 pm 

I want to fit wider tyres on my swift, like a 205/50/15

Can anyone tell me how much offset and width on the rims i will need to run this size tyre?
Would a 7inch rim be too wide?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 am 

15x6.5 et40 the most would be most I would go with

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 pm 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 am 

There are a few people who have gone to 7" rims with flared guards etc. I would think the biggest problem is the overall size of the 205/50/15 and it foulling the guards and inner wheel well at the front. Quite a few run 205/60/13's (including myself, squeezed on to 13x5.5 rims) and this works pretty well. Would be interested in how it goes for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 am 

^^^I dont have a problem flaring out the fenders but its the inside im concerned about, the wheel fouling on the inside of the wheelwell.

I thought about using some spacers but my tuner advised against it, he says it will screw up my suspension geometry.

Finding a rim with 40mm offset might be a little problem tho.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 am 

David,

Both Daniel and I have almost identical setups....15 x 6.5 rim I think Danny's offset is 40mm while mine is 42mm. The tyre size is where we are different. I am on 195/45 while he is on 205/50. We both have no rubbing, but he's on stock springs while I'm on Jamex lowering springs. My front camber settings are radical though.... -1.8^ in front but I think I'll pull it back to about -1.2^ thereabouts for daily driving.

I know the purpose your car serves in addition to being a DD, so I would say if you can get some toyo proxes T1-R in the 195 width, I'd stick with that option. I stand to be corrected by imho, any rim with an offset above 40mm is going to have trouble with a 205 width tyre.

btw, congrats on your accomplishments Sunday...heard you all geed fyahs to dem hawnda and nissan boys. I wasn't there but news in the local Zuki community travels fast. :lol:

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 am 

Thanks for the advice. I need more rubber on the road, too much wheelspin. I had to take the 1st gear to 9000rpm to stay in front of those guys on the straight after the launch. If you look at the vids, my advantage was on the launch but there was so much wheelspin im losing a lot of time. Also on the exit of the top 90 degree corner i could make up some time with more grip at the front. If youlook at the video with the Ignis, he corners like a go kart.

I think the wider tyres will give me a little more grip.
Im gonna try the 205s on the 6.5s with 40mm offset. If you know anyone with a used set, let me know I would be interested.

How come Daniel on stock springs now? What did he do with his springs?

BTW, there was another GTI there, a red, with a Cultus engine. It ran really well, but he needs proper tyres.
You probably know him, he says he has three GTIs.

BTW- When you bringing your lil beast out to play?? You going to let me have all the fun all alone?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 am 

Where the links to the vids? :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 am 

See videos here...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=52526

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:18 am 

djaggs wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I need more rubber on the road, too much wheelspin. I had to take the 1st gear to 9000rpm to stay in front of those guys on the straight after the launch. If you look at the vids, my advantage was on the launch but there was so much wheelspin im losing a lot of time. Also on the exit of the top 90 degree corner i could make up some time with more grip at the front. If youlook at the video with the Ignis, he corners like a go kart.

I think the wider tyres will give me a little more grip.
Im gonna try the 205s on the 6.5s with 40mm offset. If you know anyone with a used set, let me know I would be interested.

How come Daniel on stock springs now? What did he do with his springs?

BTW, there was another GTI there, a red, with a Cultus engine. It ran really well, but he needs proper tyres.
You probably know him, he says he has three GTIs.

BTW- When you bringing your lil beast out to play?? You going to let me have all the fun all alone?

By all means, go with the wider tyres....experimenting is the only way we can all learn and go forward. The ignis sport was set up by Suzuki to out-handle pretty much anything from factory in its power to weight class so yeah, go-kart would be summing it up well.

Daniel has his lowering springs in a cardboard box sitting next to the car....he doesn't seem to have much of a desire to put them on. lol

I really don't know many of the local GTi's....including the one you described. Where was he from? The only ppl I know who had 2 or more gti's were Michael Murray and Keegan (Slayer).

My car still has some ways to go before I seriously track it, but I'm hoping to have it on the road before the end of the year. What chip are you using to get to 9000rpm? I have the Toms II but that's good to 8500only. How's your gearbox handling the 9k shifts though? And where can I get good quality CV Joints locally?

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 pm 

I got these Sprint Hart competition rims, theyre 15 x 6.5 with 45mm offset. They work perfect with 205 x 50 x 15 race tyres.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:57 am 

i have a set of 15x6.5 et38 on order.. not here yet though.. tires are also 205/50's..i got falken azenis rt615's..
I should have no problems with rubbing cause i have widebody kit on it.. Probably needs to be a bit wider :drunk:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 am 

I think you fitted. 215/40/17 tyres, wider tyre will give a higher overall level of grip when compared to a narrow tyre. But make sure this is because the narrow tyre will have a longer contact patch