TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:30 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 pm 

Hi all! Im new to the swift game, and forum.
I recently pickep up a mint 2001 Black swift hatch. 1.3 l, 16v , 5speed. I love it and the fuel mileage. Im a suzuki lover too. Have an 01 xl7 4x4 aswell.
The reason i bought the swift was cause i needed a cheap comuter for a few months of school.
The motor in my samurai blew in the summer so this was a no brainer! Bye the swift and when im done school use the motor in the samurai!
So just wondering what header to buy if im using this motor rwd?
Should i order a header for a 16 valve sidekick?
I was thinkin this one!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTE-716Y-C/
From my research it looks like all 16v heads are the same! so i dont see why it wouldnt work!
Ill be doing an esteem TB. and hopefully get a cam too! love this motor.
Thanks for any help Matt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am 

Sidekick will work but will likely need to be slightly modified for the shorter deck height do it doesn't hang too low.

I would just use a stock sidekick manifold.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:14 pm 

your also going to have problems with the distributer and thermostat housing hitting the firewall. the sidekick parts might swap over though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:47 am 

No distributor on 01s. Cam sensor housing might fit. Not sure of the clearance in a sammy

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:18 pm 

The cam sensor housing will it but you will have issues with the water pipe coming out of what will now be the back of the motor. Take a look on Auszookers.com for a write up of a Baleno engine into a Samurai/Sierra, that is a very similar swap, you'll have the added complexity of having an OBD2 ECU.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:00 pm 

Thanks for the replys. Yes it has a cam sensor housing no dizzy!
Im not to concerned about that part of the swap as i have completely modified the body work. Doing some massaging to the firewall doesnt worry me. Im might try to modify the water outlet with a short 90 or something.
Nor does the wiring worry me, im an electrician, and have done a stand alone obd1 honda civic motor in a tube buggy once aswell. Thanks to team swift i have a wiring diagram for my model car to help.
Just wondering on what im gonna need for the exhaust as i dont have those parts yet. I would like to source this stuff out now while im in school bored.
The sidekick manifold seems like a good idea!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 pm 

Hi
Can you please send me a copy of the wiring diagram that you have for the 01 Swift? I have been working on modifying an ECU but haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for it.
Cheers
James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:03 am 

Unless someone beats me to it I'll post it up this week.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:16 am 

Well the swap has begun. I got the motor and wire harness out.. Ill take some photos and videos of my progress.
Doing a bit of research, trying to figure out how to make the VSS work on the 86 sammi cluster..
Also need a good alternator to run my winches. What alternator to use for more amps?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 pm 

tetanushot wrote:
Well the swap has begun. I got the motor and wire harness out.. Ill take some photos and videos of my progress.
Doing a bit of research, trying to figure out how to make the VSS work on the 86 sammi cluster..
Also need a good alternator to run my winches. What alternator to use for more amps?

on ebay there is a seller who can get you a conversion kit for the cs-130 alternator (110Amps) just make sure you don't buy it with the pulley and belt as you have to re-use your old one from the stock alt and get some spacers to line up the pulley

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:14 pm 

Okay guys the motor is out.. I have it on a skid, i have cut appart the wiring harness and have started to eliminat a bunch of stuff i dont need.
i plan on running the samurai gas tank with an inline fuel pump off a ford f150.
The swift tank has a pressure sensor, and also has the charcoal cannister. I would like to use all these , i cant really make the sammy tank work with the charcoal cannister nor the pressure sensor , im wondering if they are needed and what theyre functions are.. ill post up some pics soon.
Matt
Also tryin to figure out how to make the VSS sensor work..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 pm 

the VSS is really easy to do. there are two types of vss one has plastic around it and the other is all metal. you need the all metal one. to install just pull apart the clusters and you will see where the vss screws into the samurai cluster. the plastic one can be used with some trimming but they tend to get damaged.

here this has pictures http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,50369.0.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:53 pm 

Is there another thermostat housing I can use.. Dont really wanna hack up the firewall. At the moment Im gonna fabricate a pipe to extend the t-stat housing to the side . Using a couple flanges and a peice of bent pipe.

I was planning on using the samurai oil pan but that not gonna work.. Im guesing that the cps going through the oil pan the front.
Also cant use either samurai engine mount. The one bolts up but interferes with the exhaust manifold. The other one does not bolt up. Will be custom fabricating my mounts.
Also have to make a new intake manifold support braket. When i put on the samurai water pipe off the water pump ( which needed a small hose outlet pluged) the outlet to the radiatior is right behing this braket so ill make up a new one witht the tube bender.
Put a new clutch on it this morning too, dropping it in the freshly painted engine bay tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:14 pm 

I bet a 96+ oil pan off of a tracker/sidekick will bolt right up and has the necessary crank sensor hole. Check into it, I just can't remember if the g13 and g16 share the same pan rail dimensions, but pretty sure they might.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:40 pm 

How do i set up a tach? I have a super tach im gonna mount on the top of the dash.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm 

Im thinking of doing a turbo setup aswell.. Small turbo , running like 6 psi.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:46 pm 

tetanushot wrote:
Is there another thermostat housing I can use.. Dont really wanna hack up the firewall. At the moment Im gonna fabricate a pipe to extend the t-stat housing to the side . Using a couple flanges and a peice of bent pipe.

You might find one from another Suzuki, I know some Alto housings fit but they were never sold in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:05 pm 

Thanks for the tip.. Ill look around if i have problems..
Im more concerned about having the thermostat remote mounted. Possibly overheating the engine, ive got a little trick im gonna try . I should have my remote setup mocked up tonight. Hopefully will be firing it up soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:07 pm 

This thing works awesome! A few hurdles, but was well worth it! It hauls arse! Need batteries for my camera and videos to come. At this moment im feeling it doesnt need a turbo..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 pm 

Hi folks.
Just wondering if you guys can tell me what the function of the two sensors on the gas tank do. One I beleive is a pressure sensor and the other im not sure.
just wondering if i can eleiminate these? Im thinking about putting in a fuel cell. Later i will try and see how it runs without them .
What fuel pressure does this motor run at?
I have a universal zex dry nitrouse kit i could put on this motor. Im wondering if anybody else has used nitrouse on these motors with success. the kit has 50, 75,100 hp jets.
What are the best spark plugs for this motor?
Also wondering on what type of bulb i could use for the cel light?
Thanks for any help guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 pm 

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 am 
banned and still posting

tetanus,

to have an idea i'd first have to have a clue what you're talking about. :-P

you must be describing the gas tank on the sammie as the swift/ metro variants don't have have a pressure sensor on their gas tanks that i'm aware of.

shooting from the hip, i'd say that it wouldn't matter anyway if you are doing a swap as that will require the complete ecu and control set from the donor car to be swapped to the sammie. the new control set won't use any of the sammie's controls or require anything at the fuel tank aside from the power wires for the fuel pump and the signal wires from the fuel level sender.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm 

The later cars might have a gas cap light on the dash that tells you if the cap is off. That would be my guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 pm 

I think all 96+ cars have tank pressure sensors in order to meet obd2 emissions. For sure the 98-01's have extra sensors on the tanks. Note that these sensors are not reading actual fuel pressure, they are part of a system that is designed to alert driver and further the repairing tech to a leak anywhere in the fuel system that could possibly be letting fuel or vapours into the atmosphere. This is why they will set a code and engine light for a fuel cap not being on correctly.
I personally wouldnt worry about them for swapped vehicles, I could say with fair confidence that it will in no way hamper performance or economy.
I bet t3 rag has never seen them because he's always swapping t3 pumps into mk2's and 3's and is yet to turbo a 95+! That body style would benefit from the extra torque, maybe that should be done after your resto rod vert...

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:01 pm 

Thanks for the reply Cody.
I would like to keep the fuel tank sensors operational, but if it wont hurt economy or performance i can do without them.
At the moment im thinkin of running a FI samurai tank to keep things simple.
Any Ideas on what kind of CEL i can wire up. Is there a limit on wattage the bulb can be.
Will this motor hold up to a properly set up nitrouse system.
What fuel pressure is normal im seting up a fuel pressure guage to keep an eye on things!