TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
When I bought the 86 4 dr, the rear seat was rotten and toast. As I have no plans to ever carry passengers, I opted to remove it and replace it with something that is useful to me. A large level cargo shelf, hinged rear tire cover area, and access panel to beneath the shelf to store whatever. Easily removed if anyone were ever to try and find a replacement seat. Overall still a weight reduction.The spruce lumber and luan pieces barely weighed in at 2 lbs. Rear seats are much heavier. in addition made for much better sound deadening of the area. While building the structure, I went ahead and tapped into the rear speaker wires. That way If I ever want to mount some speakers in the front or beveled area of this, the wiring is already there.

here we have the overall area prior to design

Image

Image

Here is the spruce substructure

Image

Image

and the finished product.

Image

Image

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm
Posts: 481
Location: brainerd MN
Looks Great, Nice Job, Jonathan.

_________________
Current stable:
1987 Sprint Turbo (Red) 75k 5sp,AC, w/cruise, Resto-Mod,owned since 1997) (looking for dash)
1989 GTI (white)104k 5sp,AC (Resto-mod completed 1999). (looks great, But rusted out ,need clean tub)Help!?
1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 95% Done.(Clean SW car) Summer driver
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/P-wdws, Resto-Mod,80% done.(Clean SW car) CUst. Int. Next
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sdn Ford Kona Blue 85k 1.3 SOHC 5sp
1995 Metro LSI 4Dr Blue 74k (Loaner)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 am
Posts: 1059
Location: Vancouver, Best Cannabis
it's good work, i would consider selling kits like this if those wanted it

_________________
Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
Thanks for the compliment.....wouldnt be hard to kit now that its done once. But the price to ship the pieces, the flat panels that is, would probably make it to where no one would want to buy it.

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm
Posts: 481
Location: brainerd MN
Sell Full size Plans/Template shipped in a cheapo Blue-print tube!

_________________
Current stable:
1987 Sprint Turbo (Red) 75k 5sp,AC, w/cruise, Resto-Mod,owned since 1997) (looking for dash)
1989 GTI (white)104k 5sp,AC (Resto-mod completed 1999). (looks great, But rusted out ,need clean tub)Help!?
1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 95% Done.(Clean SW car) Summer driver
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/P-wdws, Resto-Mod,80% done.(Clean SW car) CUst. Int. Next
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sdn Ford Kona Blue 85k 1.3 SOHC 5sp
1995 Metro LSI 4Dr Blue 74k (Loaner)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
good point there....might have to consider that!

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:10 am
Posts: 519
Location: Kent
Top job. Well done mate :clap:

_________________
INCREASE THE PEACE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:47 pm
Posts: 1274
Location: Trinidad, W.I.
At first when you made the original post, I had no idea it would look this awesome. Good job! I like the neat angles on the base...you put that mitre/compound saw to good use I see!

Now fill the rear with obscenely large speaker boxes and amps! =)

_________________
~the other Ralph~
Certified Suzuki Owner:
MKIII Swift GTi - The Green Destiny!
2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
PBC137 wrote:
At first when you made the original post, I had no idea it would look this awesome. Good job! I like the neat angles on the base...

I tried to make it so I wouldnt butcher any of the factory plastic just in case I ever decided to reverse. That and the ability to reach the rear window knob without something to catch ones hand. And as you say below, the flat front areas could be used for speakers. The vertical areas could only accomdate a 4" height. As for the horizontal the size would be endless if wanted to .

you put that mitre/compound saw to good use I see!

Now fill the rear with obscenely large speaker boxes and amps! =)
Well 15-20 years ago I probably would. :) ..Right now the originals one in the rear hatch and dash suit me ok. Aside from being used as a daily work commuter, its also my daily errond runner, the large even flat are will come in very handy for that. Now I just need to find some sort of raised rubber mat, sort of like an SUV cargo pan, so when I carry things like my used oil to the parts house it doesnt slide around and leak all over this nice outward appearance.

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 am
Posts: 1
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Looks great, I want to do the same thing to my 2001 swift. Would you be able to post the plans?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:02 pm
Posts: 642
Location: North Florida
Looks good. Might try some Tie Down loops & one of the stretchy nets? I'd want a front edge to prevent everything from sliding off.

_________________
2000 Chevy Metro 3 cylinder 5 speed 3 door hatch
1998 Chevy Metro 3 cylinder 5 speed 3 door hatch
1998 Chevy Lumina APV
1998 Ford F-150 4X4 XLT
1992 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau
1991 SAAB 900S 5 speed
1987 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1985 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1974 SAAB Sonett III
1971 SAAB 96 modified to 1980 specs
1966 SAAB 96
1960 SAAB 93F
1958 SAAB 93B
1964 Willys JEEP CJ-5
1954 Willys JEEP M-170 military ambulance
1953 Grumman Kurbside step van


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
Durnurnur wrote:
Looks great, I want to do the same thing to my 2001 swift. Would you be able to post the plans?


well I didnt exactly scribe down the measurements as I did it....that and I have no doubt that the specs for my 86 would probably not fit your 2001....but if your skilled at basic woodworking it woldnt take anyone much to fab up similar.

Quote:
Looks good. Might try some Tie Down loops & one of the stretchy nets? I'd want a front edge to prevent everything from sliding off


I use the old seat back locks as tie points....the front lip was a thought but never did it...I ended out putting a cheap rubber cargo mat to the rear, nothing slides on it.

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:45 pm
Posts: 663
Location: Millbrook, Alabama
Would you be interested in doing this on the side for cash? I live in Millbrook (An hour or so away) and I have been wanting something like this for FOREVER, however I have no access to any type of woodworking tools.

I would totally be willing the drop the car off for a day or so to have this done.

It's a 92 Metro LSi 2dr.

Please let me know if you're interested and what you'd charge if you'd do it. The back of the car is already gutted (no carpet, seats, etc...).

Thanks a bunch!

Kyle

_________________
Image
92 Metro Turbo-G13b Swap - too much stuff to list
95 Metro 4/5 Sedan - Daily Driver Status
2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
Kyle,
I sent you a reply

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:06 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Fort Huachuca, Arizona
Very nice! I might have to consider doing that to my '87 Turbo. I don't need to carry passengers since we have other vehicles to do that.

Cars (and stuff)?
'74 VW Thing, '81 Delorean, '85 Yamaha VMax, '87 Turbo Sprint, '89 Dodge W150, '93 Suburban, '93 Mercedes 190E, '95 Plymouth Neon, '99 Mercedes S320, '05 Yamaha V-Star Classic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
Thanks,

Consider a small lip on the leading edge....which I think someone mentioned earlier on in my build. Its ok as is, but on the rare occasion I have to hit the brakes hard, whatever is back there usually want to slide into the back of the seats or the floor board. Ive since put a rubber cargo liner over the most of it, and that helps some.

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 pm
Posts: 3
Location: New York
I do not know that it looks awesome. I like based on a neat angle.

_________________
The important tip for Brown Bow Front shoes is to know your right size before you buy and always choose a pair Black Leather Pointed Toe Pumps in your exact size.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:47 pm
Posts: 1274
Location: Trinidad, W.I.
:
infoleather wrote:
I do not know that it looks awesome. I like based on a neat angle.

:huh: :huh

_________________
~the other Ralph~
Certified Suzuki Owner:
MKIII Swift GTi - The Green Destiny!
2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:27 am
Posts: 2761
Location: Aruba
PBC137 wrote:
:
infoleather wrote:
I do not know that it looks awesome. I like based on a neat angle.

:huh: :huh


:lol:

_________________
1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros 210/340 chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: Genie headers, SuzukiRD UD pulley,Sandros Chip,3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM,, B&G springs.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.
Aruba "one happy island".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
=) awesome weed maybe?

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:47 pm
Posts: 1274
Location: Trinidad, W.I.
mkc1962 wrote:
=) awesome weed maybe?


yeah....really awesome! :lol:

_________________
~the other Ralph~
Certified Suzuki Owner:
MKIII Swift GTi - The Green Destiny!
2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 pm
Posts: 160
Location: pittsbrugh
I'd like the blue prints

_________________
2000 metro L"Si":)
2001 suzuki swift


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
Sorry no drawings,prints or sketches were done. All done custom on the fly. If you follow my lead, your looking at about $70 to $100 in materials. And a good 4-6 hours or more of work.

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 pm
Posts: 160
Location: pittsbrugh
Doing this next weekend

_________________
2000 metro L"Si":)
2001 suzuki swift


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 473
Location: alabama
be sure and post some pics of your work....good luck.

_________________
Mike
Valley Grande, AL
1986 Sprint plus

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2004 camry, 06 Expedition, 87 porsche 911, 86 Sprint plus, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group