TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:01 am 

Is this a big job to do ?

Can someone link me to a cheap part in the UK also.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:03 am 

No idea about the difficulty of the job, but here are some parts for ya
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=s ... m270.l1313

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 am 

Gearbox out job, and I may have a newish release bearing in my garage you can have in exchange for a few beer tokens :D .
I'll have a look later.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:26 pm 

Handy things to have lying about in your garage. Looks like it's trying to pop out of gear when foot is taken off the throttle. Is this a common release bearing tell ?

How many beer tokens we talking here ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 pm 

ross6938 wrote:
Handy things to have lying about in your garage. Looks like it's trying to pop out of gear when foot is taken off the throttle. Is this a common release bearing tell ?

Nope. Sounds more like a broken shift detent ball spring or bent shift fork.

Release bearings typically start to make noise with the clutch out, then later all the time, they won't affect the trans staying in gear at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm 

Ahh right. Cheers for that info.

What about when you gear down and use engine braking, sounds kind of like it's grinding? to me, isn't smooth and doesn't slow car down too well ? Pulls well though.

There seems to be a loud noise coming from the left hand side of the engine bay. Pretty vague but any suggestions ? It seemed to be coming from the induction kit when it was idling but didn't sound good to me. Is it possible that it's running a bit rough/loud due to a slightly duff air intake ? I'm going to swap it for a powertec and see if it makes any difference.

Any info on common reasons for excessive noise from engine bay would be great. Also why does the front passenger wheel not turn freely ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:30 pm 

airwerks wrote:
ross6938 wrote:

Release bearings typically start to make noise with the clutch out, then later all the time, they won't affect the trans staying in gear at all.

shift detent ball spring looks mad complicated! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 pm 

airwerks wrote:
ross6938 wrote:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r211 ... 031812.jpg

is this it ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:33 am 

That sounds like a foo barred syncro to me, does it pop out of gear when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and then pops out of 1st when taking up the drive?
One things for sure it isn't the release bearing.
As every body knows, the Swift boxes are made of chocolate and are a common failing on them, especially 1st and 2nd syncro's and hubs, also diffs have been known to break on the mk2/3's.
Either way the box is going to have to come out and either find a good GTI box or get yours rebuilt, however trying to find the first option is like trying to find hens teeth.
The good news is that the syncro's etc are the same on all the Swift boxes, so if you find a standard say 1litre or 1300 you can rob those bits and fit them to your GTI gears and final drive to keep the GTI ratios.
I have rebuilt many Swift boxes now as I kept breaking them on my rally car (plus I've done a few for other people), however it's not really practical for me to do it for you as I'm at the other end of the country!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:57 pm 

swiftmotorsport wrote:
That sounds like a foo barred syncro to me, does it pop out of gear when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and then pops out of 1st when taking up the drive?
One things for sure it isn't the release bearing.
As every body knows, the Swift boxes are made of chocolate and are a common failing on them, especially 1st and 2nd syncro's and hubs, also diffs have been known to break on the mk2/3's.
Either way the box is going to have to come out and either find a good GTI box or get yours rebuilt, however trying to find the first option is like trying to find hens teeth.
The good news is that the syncro's etc are the same on all the Swift boxes, so if you find a standard say 1litre or 1300 you can rob those bits and fit them to your GTI gears and final drive to keep the GTI ratios.
I have rebuilt many Swift boxes now as I kept breaking them on my rally car (plus I've done a few for other people), however it's not really practical for me to do it for you as I'm at the other end of the country!

I've noticed it moving and wanting to pop out of gear slightly. It seems to be an OK box and engine.. I'm going to check the oil in the gearbox soon. I'd be interested to know what other bits and pieces can be taken off the 1.0/1.3 of same year. When in neutral and moving gear stick to check it's in neutral it makes a bit of a clunk when pushed to far left. Is this common or another sign of a gearbox issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:23 pm 

mmm, thinking about it check all your engine/gearbox mounts plus the gear linkage, I have know mountings to fail (3, gearbox, rear engine and n/s/f next to the cambelt) which in turn makes the gearbox linkage go out of line so not engaging properly.
If you say the gearbox pulls nicely with no crunches/clonks etc and doesn't pop out when taking up drive or down shifting then maybe it is the linkage, however from experience I don't think it will be the case.
Hope I'm proved wrong as it's the cheaper option!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:22 pm 

swiftmotorsport wrote:
mmm, thinking about it check all your engine/gearbox mounts plus the gear linkage, I have know mountings to fail (3, gearbox, rear engine and n/s/f next to the cambelt) which in turn makes the gearbox linkage go out of line so not engaging properly.
If you say the gearbox pulls nicely with no crunches/clonks etc and doesn't pop out when taking up drive or down shifting then maybe it is the linkage, however from experience I don't think it will be the case.

The gearbox oil has been changed and it is running better, however (some) metal was found whilst changing it. It was not a huge amount but is this something to be concerned about ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:13 pm 

ross6938 wrote:
swiftmotorsport wrote:

The gearbox oil has been changed and it is running better, however (some) metal was found whilst changing it. It was not a huge amount but is this something to be concerned about ?

nope, just normal wear. small shavings are acceptable but be alarmed if you find gear teeth or other pieces.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:11 pm 

Just need to get a clutch release bearing, possible outer cv bearing, and front wheel bearing next.

And check the gear linkage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:05 pm 

like swiftmotorsport mentionned, don't forget to check the engine and gearbox mounts!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 pm 

ross6938 wrote:
Just need to get a clutch release bearing, possible outer cv bearing, and front wheel bearing next.

I also have a pair of outer cv's for sale, nothing wrong with them I just change them at the start of the season as a precaution, £30 the pair and postage will be about £10, can send the release bearing at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:59 pm 

swiftmotorsport wrote:
ross6938 wrote:

I also have a pair of outer cv's for sale, nothing wrong with them I just change them at the start of the season as a precaution, £30 the pair and postage will be about £10, can send the release bearing at the same time.

Front wheel bearing sorted the problem.