TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:26 pm 

Well its the new year, and my wife just let me know that she will be personally handing me $200 a week to rebuild my Turbo Sprint... I feel like I just won the lottery... lol Rightfully so.

So this will be the home of the build up of my Sprint.

I will be posting pictures and updates as things come along.

Plans so far are.

1: Take care of getting the car back on the road. [legal stuff]
2: Acquire a storage shed [this is where most of the work will happen, I blame this on renting.]
3: Start acquiring parts... tons of parts... [Right in time for my birthday, Jan. 23rd btw :wink: ]
4: Start tearing down the car [The fun stuff]
5: Add the goodies [ Happiness ]
6: Finish up the work and rip around in the little guy [ Success ]

So thats the plan. Here we go...

onepointO

Last edited by onepointO on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:48 pm 

Great ! Post some Picture once you have time ! :mrgreen:

Mk3 Geo Metro W/ Mk2 G10T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 am 

Oh trust me I will. Its been a long time coming! And to be honest a turbo mk1 build here onn teamswift never seems to get old. ;)

onepointO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:18 pm 

Okay so after diving through RockAuto.com for parts that I know I will be needing I still know there is more I am missing. And this can be obvious. Here is the list of "MAGICAL" items I went through.

Price Core Quantity Total
1987 CHEVROLET SPRINT 993cc 61cid L3 Turbocharged

Drivetrain : CV Half Shaft AssemblyRelated Parts
A-1 CARDONE Part # 601033 Reman.
Standard trans.; Front Right J
$46.79 $25.00 $71.79

A-1 CARDONE Part # 601030 Reman.
Standard trans.; Front Left J
$46.79 $30.00 $76.79

Fuel/Air : Fuel FilterRelated Parts
FRAM Part # G6430 In-Line Gasoline Filter [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 2 Remaining)
In line I
$12.18 $0.00 $12.18

Cooling System : Water Pump GasketRelated Parts
FEL-PRO Part # 35366 J
$1.23 $0.00 $1.23

Fuel/Air : Throttle Body GasketRelated Parts
FEL-PRO Part # 61032 (Only 3 Remaining) G
$1.77 $0.00 $1.77

Engine : Motor MountRelated Parts
ANCHOR Part # 8282 [Private Label Package] (Only 1 Remaining)
Rear; Metro; Base Model J
$14.92 $0.00 $14.92

ANCHOR Part # 8283 [Private Label Package]
Front; Metro; Base Model
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days E
$20.79 $0.00 $20.79

Transmission-Manual : Transmission MountRelated Parts
DEA Part # A6819 C
$13.85 $0.00 $13.85

Engine : Oil Pump GasketRelated Parts
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0398004 A
$7.39 $0.00 $7.39

Brake/Wheel Hub : Brake ShoeRelated Parts
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0812370 [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]
Rear I
$10.66 $0.00 $21.32

Brake/Wheel Hub : Wheel BearingRelated Parts
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0513251 Wheel Race
Rear Outer A
$5.92 $0.00 $11.84

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0513918 Wheel Race
Rear Inner AH
$7.31 $0.00 $14.62

Fuel/Air : Fuel Injector O-RingRelated Parts
GB REMANUFACTURING Part # 8024A FUEL INJECTOR SEAL KIT
3 required per vehicle H
$2.11 $0.00 $6.33

Engine : Timing BeltRelated Parts
DAYCO Part # 95095 Effective Length 33.39" / Top Width 0.75" / Number of Teeth 89 Engine Timing Belt (Only 2 Remaining)
FI; Interference Engine J
$6.16 $0.00 $6.16

Brake/Wheel Hub : Drum Brake Hardware KitRelated Parts
DORMAN Part # HW17277
Rear; w/180mm x 30mm Brakes; FMSI No.550 H
$9.07 $0.00 $9.07

Body-Interior : CarpetRelated Parts
ACC Part # 145887CUTPILE Cut Pile - Constructed from 100% first quality Dupont yarn. Color: OE Color - Black (801)
1987 Chevrolet sprint carpet; Molded
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 3 business days D
$123.79 $0.00 $123.79

Brake/Wheel Hub : Wheel CylinderRelated Parts
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0729540 [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 8 Remaining)
Rear I
$6.48 $0.00 $12.96

Transmission-Manual : Clutch KitRelated Parts
SACHS Part # K007702
O.D : 7 1/2; I.D : 3/4; TEETH : 18T
- Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 2 business days F
$117.89 $0.00 $117.89

Engine : Oil PumpRelated Parts
DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # OP500 [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty] I
$43.79 $0.00 $43.79

Brake/Wheel Hub : DrumRelated Parts
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0832098 [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 9 Remaining)
Rear Brake Drum I
$31.79 $0.00 $63.58

Engine : PistonRelated Parts
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 012522420 [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]
Piston W/Rings w/o TURBO, I
$25.79 $0.00 $77.37

Cooling System : Water PumpRelated Parts
PRONTO Part # 54651120 Includes Gasket (Only 2 Remaining)
Standard Pump B
$17.58 $0.00 $17.58

So there is my slightly jumble list of things so far. And after shipping and such I am looking at $931.58

So not so bad. Then I can include a new turbo, head and cam magic from Mike. and other little tid bits. eh? What do you think?

onepointO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 pm 

The pistons say without turbo. The mk1 non-turbo pistons won't fit the turbo rods, they're press fit instead of floating wrist pins. They're also standard size. Unless you're going to have new liners put in, you'll need to bore the cylinders and use oversized pistons. OEM turbo pistons are hard to come by and oversized are even harder. That's why guys started using Suzuki Vitara pistons, they're more easily available. The Vitara's had a few different compression ratios. There's a post here some where that says what year and options have what compression ratio. I had a set of oversized forged pistons made and it was around $450 for the set. Ross Racing Pistons made mine but there's plenty of companies out there that can make them, if you want to go that route. First you should tear down the motor and have it checked out to see how oversized they need to be before ordering. Then the machine shop can bore the cylinders to fit the pistons you get. You can get the other parts first but hold off on the pistons until the block is checked out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:40 pm 

Thanks for the note. I remember somewhere seeing that someone was using NA pistons. But I think I am just cross guessing with the vitara piston post. Well good to know.

onepointO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 pm 

Sad, But Here I Have a Couple of Turbo Piston, I Could make a good set for you, thing is they are for MK2 I don't know much about Mk1, I know head is different, since Mk1 are Mechanical & MK2 Hydraulic but I don't know if Piston's are same or would fit ! The Rod's of Piston are Concrete, Even GT-GTi Rod's are quit tough like it !

Once I get out all the Stock I have related to those Car, I'll do Post with all the Part's I have in Overstock, I'll keep some Part's I Need for Spare, but I think Having three T3 Intake's would be the worth not to keep on shelf's if somebody need one ! Bunch of Pulley, Got Intercooler, Manifold with Downpipe for RHB32, Piston's, Block, Head's, Ecu's and much more.. !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:40 pm 

Looks like this will be a fun build. I'm looking foward to doing a T3 build. And on that note, Gspot, can't wait to see your for sale post. I'm gunna need a few things. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 pm 

BOOMbox wrote:
Looks like this will be a fun build. I'm looking foward to doing a T3 build. And on that note, Gspot, can't wait to see your for sale post. I'm gunna need a few things. :twisted:

Haha I just need to gather my Part's to my place so I be Able to take picture of them and post them on the Forum ! And it will be more easy to ship them If I have them with me :mrgreen: !

Anyway you can send me a PM telling me what you need and i'll be able to confirm you what I Have, Cause I Know much of the thing's I have ! I Have, Side Skirt but it's missing the Part that go in front of the Rear Wheel I don't know If I'll be able to sell them !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 pm 

Gspot you have a pm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:37 am 

Oh it will be a fun build! I feel like I won something to be honest. Working on it alone will be a huge amount of satisfaction. By the end of this month I will have her in the shed. Pics will be coming as soon as I can get to this. But not too much longer. I have the good fortune of being paid weekly. And since my birthday is the 23 guess the wife is getting me tools. lol

Here is a picture of the car before I moved to Alaska and my little brother had it. The silver hatch is a 88 Dodge Colt my friend has.

onepointO

Attachments:
File comment: The Turbo Sprint before
Sprint and Colt.jpg [65.01 KIB]
Downloaded 1305 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm 

Haha I can tell you're excited. I'm excited to get my second metro so I can start on mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 pm 

Nice Car, there's 4 Part's car Mk1 and 1 N/A Sprint & 3 Turbo ( 1 Firefly 2 Sprint ) for sale at about an hour from where I Live !

By the way nice Clean Old Dodge Colt, Saw one Turbo for Sale near my home they are pretty rare ! In my country, Winter Kill the Car's, cause they put salt and the calcium eat all the Steel ! You need to Put a RustProof or Clean your car often !

Here a Picture of my car before I got it at the garage and park for now almost 2 Year's ! I Did Firefly ( Only in Canada, They made Sprint Only for your country ) Headlight Conversion !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 am 

Nice job! And an allowance to boot!

Quote:
Here is the list of "MAGICAL" items I went through.

Note: careful buying parts! You want to stretch your money?

Couple things I would say before blindly ordering parts....

So, your axles are obviously bad?

Motor mounts are tricky, most listings are in error, do some research on the board first.

Are your rear bearings bad? You know, you can pop out the seals 'n regrease...
(most seals are only on one side anyway)

Timing Belt application? I didn't check, just noticed the note for interference motor,
ours are not interference...may want to double check application.

Drum brake hardware bad? Really?

Drums bad too? I've got 500,000 miles on mine, only turned em twice (just)..
still some meat left.

Note: Dont forget the rear spindle nuts and the front castle nuts!

Pistons? Bad? Yes, like noted above, you need the TURBO pistons 'n rings,
not N/A they are not interchangeable.

That's just the beginning, sounds like you're in for a learning experience,
well, you've come to the right place!

First of all I'd like to know if the car runs as is, from your list of parts,
it sounds like it might be dead. How about some more details?
and pics!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 am 

lol, thanks for the advice JamalSpelling,

Yeah to be honest the car does run as is. The battery is just dead and its been sitting. I go and jump it and start it from time to time and knock it around the block, but other than that here is the deal.

So a brief history about my car. And I will try to make it brief...

Bought the car back in 06', drove the car, wanted more power, installed MBC, set it to 10 psi, Heard loud pop on a pull, removed MBC, car lost power and wouldnt pull like it used to, Drove the car to Georgia, lived out of car, poor, so had no money for repairs or anything, drove car more..., on way home from work one day smelled fuel, pulled over, popped hood, flare up underhood cause by rotted out fuel line from fuel filter: ie: it caught on fire..., Sold car to guy in the mountains in NC for 1k. Year 2010, contacted guy, bought back car for same 1k i sold it for, he fixed it enough to drive back home to New Jersey. Once back I drove it some more, noticed turbo was only spooling to 3-4psi at WOT, inspected car, replaced Wastegate actuater, TPS, Vacuum lines and such. Inspected charge hoses, got advice on Teamswift. During this time I also put new wheels on it and struts because they were going bad and I figured why not, all this time I was homeless and camping out for the summer, after a long hard summer a buddy of mine asked me to move to Alaska with him and his recent wife on a miltary base in anchorage. I figured why not, Gave sprint to little brother who just came down with testicular cancer for christmas as his first car, spent 8 months in alaska, moved back from alaska to marry my now wife, have the sprint back because after my little brothers surgery he cant operate a clutch with out pain in his legs, now the cars mine again, during his owning of the car he wanted to strip it and make it into a little racer, pulled out back seats, they got chewed up by a neighborhood dog, pulled out carpet, and had brakes rebuilt.

whew... okay so that was longer than expected but not as bad as what it could have been. If you wanted to reference the full story just follow my post over the years on here.

Any way so, although the car does run, it runs like shit. Although it will walk away from my buddies Colt you see in that picture on a straight run, :wink:

But the issues that I noticed last time I drove the car, ( which was right before I got suited up for my wedding day... lol ) Was that there is no exhaust after the down pipe, still doesnt spool up where it should, massive loss of power because of this, the rear is "grinding", massive oil and other engine sludge covering the head/block/trans, its leaking coolant probably from one of the lines towards the turbo. Things I remember, clutch was slipping during hard pulls back when the turbo did spool, brakes work, but just barely, trans needs new syncros around 1-2, 2-3. Charge piping needs to be replaced, injectors could use a cleaning, basic maintenance, compression check again... last time it was even across the board, but lower than spec. Things like that.

Now I am sure I am missing something, but with all of that, I was figuring and to be honest have always wanted to build the motor up from the ground. Shiny new (mostly) everything. Basically I want it to be solid and have some more power like I have always wanted. I want to build the motor for a daily driven 150hp to the wheels. But we'll see about that.

So the list was a bored day at work, click on stuff, rough idea of what cost would be with some parts. eh.

So any more feed back would be awesome. As for pictures, I work 11.5 hours a day 6 days a week with 3 hours worth of driving each day. I have to find time to get some sunlight in those pictures. probably this sunday I will go snap some and share. I also have to move it to a storage shed I am getting for the project. Seeing as I rent, and there is no way I could work on my car there. But that is fun. I am foreseeing late nights, and some man "shed" cave fun.

Well till next time folks!

onepointO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 pm 

Quote:
Was that there is no exhaust after the down pipe

Start with the down pipe, most likely clogged pre-cat.
You can cut it out with a hacksaw, but it's haz mat so dispose
of it properly.

I would then start with a compression check, degrease the motor
& fix your leaks.

$200 a week (is there a cap? :D ) will eventually go very far &
allow you to do most anything.

Good luck, keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:05 pm 

Thanks for the advice. And that will be the first thing I do. As for the cap on my lofty allowance, none exist. As my wife said just yesterday. "Till its how you want it.". Needless to say I am a happily married man. ;)

Pics and such coming this Sunday. I will be acquiring a storage shed within the next week.

onepointO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:39 am 

onepointO wrote:
Well its the new year, and my wife just let me know that she will be personally handing me $200 a week to rebuild my Turbo Sprint... I feel like I just won the lottery... lol Rightfully so.

So this will be the home of the build up of my Sprint.

I will be posting pictures and updates as things come along.

Plans so far are.

1: Take care of getting the car back on the road. [legal stuff]
2: Acquire a storage shed [this is where most of the work will happen, I blame this on renting.]
3: Start acquiring parts... tons of parts... [Right in time for my birthday, Jan. 23rd btw :wink: ]
4: Start tearing down the car [The fun stuff]
5: Add the goodies [ Happiness ]
6: Finish up the work and rip around in the little guy [ Success ]

So thats the plan. Here we go...

onepointO

I'll have to make it that I'll have a good time with these.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:51 am 

Well its Sunday and my only day off during the week.

Today I will be going over to the sprint and taking some pictures and posting them after I get home. So look forward to some pictures today.

onepointO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:02 pm 

Great Awaiting Impatiently =)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:24 pm 

Okay, So I went and took some pictures. But its not in the storage shed so nothing has came apart yet. (aside from everything that already is...)

I will be posting them after I clean the dishes here before my wife gets home...

I gots me clean some dem dishes!

onepointO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:44 pm 

Okay here is some of the pictures that I took. Too bad all I had with me with my crappy prepaid cell phone camera...

Enjoy the first of many.

Attachments:
File comment: rear shot
150112-1505.jpg [83.2 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: suspension shot
150112-1506.jpg [67.36 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: suspension shot
150112-1506(001).jpg [70.1 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: Driver side corner. You can see where the grill/under head light trim is still warped from the fire.
150112-1506(002).jpg [78.32 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: 13x5 Wheels with 185/60's Still like new. probably selling these though.
150112-1506(003).jpg [64.75 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: A bit of rust because she has been sitting.
150112-1506(004).jpg [51.72 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: Engine bay
150112-1506(005).jpg [97.83 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: Front/passenger shot
150112-1507.jpg [92.99 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: Hatch open to the inside... Passenger seat not bolted up, no rear seat, no carpet. Not much.
150112-1507(001).jpg [86.82 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: Driver Rear strut towers
150112-1508(001).jpg [61.61 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: Better picture of the passenger seat. and some of the stuff in her.
150112-1508(002).jpg [91.18 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: The drivers seat. My little brothers seat cover and shit knob with the pedal things... not my cup of tea to say the least.
150112-1509.jpg [73.7 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:45 pm 

more...

Attachments:
File comment: another shot
150112-1509(001).jpg [65.89 KIB]
Downloaded 1199 times
File comment: comparing the stock intercooler to one of the side mounts from a twin turbo 300zx. Should be fine with the new turbo i guess.
150112-1510.jpg [89.55 KIB]
Downloaded 1198 times
File comment: another rear-ish shot
150112-1510(001).jpg [96.51 KIB]
Downloaded 1198 times
File comment: side shot. and boy i need to lower this car. I say some vert knuckles and a new set of 13's with 175/50s, then maybe some cut springs... but we'll see about that.
150112-1511.jpg [94.7 KIB]
Downloaded 1198 times
File comment: another shot of my love
150112-1511(002).jpg [97.95 KIB]
Downloaded 1198 times

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:08 pm 

hell son, you're 3/4 done......
mine did'nt come with a floor on the drivers side :D
way too rust free for a starting point and
fancy rims and real tread on the tires ta boot 8)
this should be REAL GOOD if you can keep mamma happy :-P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:24 pm 

Great, you would say rust-free ! Mine is missing the Driver Side Floor Panel hehe and some rust at some point ! Great awaiting your project to start, keep it update :D