TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 pm 

Looks great. That is a great base to start with.
And I really don't know why, but I like those wheels you have there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:00 am 

Yeah thanks guys. I cant wait to start rebuilding. The car is in really great shape considering.

And WannabeRacing, yeah I would have no idea... ;) and I'm guessing those are 185/60's huh? lol

Well guys I will be posting more as soon as it comes along. I'm trying to make a nice build thread. Filled with pictures and videos and other goodness Swifters like to gander at while on the interwebs. :D

Any way more as soon as I get to it. Luckily enough my work schedule just opened up Fridays, partial saturdays, and Sundays. So thats a good thing.

onepointO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:20 pm 

Okay so its been a little bit. And well because of some snow and my new schedule not taking effect just yet. I think this thread is going to become a G10T build thread for my little red. You know what? Thats catchy. DONE!

Any way so the time is just about up on my company rental I have been milking time from. And well this means that the sprint has to get road worthy...

This is not the biggest feat. And actually because of recent developments I am going to DD the sprint and build a turbo motor in a "smaller" storage shed. Which actually should be a fun little experience. Once done, I can pull out another rental from my company and take how ever long for the install.

SO! Not all is lost. By any means... Just means you will see lots of parts and engine building pics. And eventually filled with install pictures.

So with the money I will be saving doing it this way, I am going to drop 2k into a 3D printer, Because I am a 3d artist/designer. And then buy a new computer. All while keeping myself plenty busy with the sprint.

Well should be fun! And I hope everyone keeps up with my thread when more is happening shortly.

onepointO

...which reminds me... I still need a back seat... :huh:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:39 pm 

Would someone be able to give or sell a rear turbo seat for our friend here :) ?

Mk3 Geo Metro W/ Mk2 G10T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:52 am 

Okay well a slow but steady pace isnt a bad thing. But as of today I have all the legal mumbo-jumbo taken care of. With the exception of having it inspected... :lol: So this afternoon around 5 EST I will be throwing the tags and a battery in the car, and driving it home. So yay.

I am going to also try and shoot a small video of the drive home and such and point out something. So look forward to that. Now whats really cool is that I can start fixing her up to be driven daily. Which in my case means a bit of stuff I am trying to do while still using her and the company car I have...

So exhaust, axles, clutch, general tune up and such all to come shortly. Then to start looking for a NA 3 out of a junk yard to give the turbo treatment to, as well as a few goodies. Either way I cant wait to drive her when I get done work today. And I will really try to get a video online for everyone to see.

Stay tuned!

onepointO

btw... back seat...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:36 pm 

Well having two weeks to get the Sprint NJ inspected proves fun should be soon. I have to get an exhaust on this car really bad, and as well gut the precat (finally). After that I get to see if she passes inspection.

The only problem I see after the first hurdle is the rear drums needing to be replaced as they are grinding and the pedal is extended towards the firewall. So lets see how an exhaust will do first then move on from there.

Now here comes the "problem". A new exhaust has to be ran from the down pipe back. And to be honest, I mind as well see what Meineke could do with it. A coworker said that he had them bend up some 2.5 for him and they installed it with a muffler and cat he brought with him for his civic for around $150! Now, I dont have experience with muffler shops, but thats sounds a bit on the "cheap" side. I mean a good cheap, but still.

So I have to check that out soon.

I WILL post a before and after exhaust videos here. So that should be fun.

Any way till another day!

onepointO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:01 pm 

Okay so yesterday I found a local shop that will run me an exhaust for around $200 or less. That is awesome. The guy just asked me if I had a muffler because all he had were some generic things that he didnt think I would like. So I went out today and acquired a 18 or 20 inch Magnaflow glasspack muffler for like $34.

Some come this Friday I will be dropping off the Sprint with some instructions on how I want it ran. And then wait for a call.

I decided to run 2.25 inch pipe because I plan on turning up the boost after I sort somethings out. So should be nifty. All I know is that it will be a bit quieter than it just dumping out right underneath the engine... Which my wife or neighbors are very "fond" of... lol So tonight I am going to take some pictures and a quick video and upload them of what it sounds like before and after. Should be fun!

onepointO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:24 pm 

Sounds cool man. Gonna have to be checking back in for the vid.
I am waiting on a turbo flange right now to get my third running.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:47 am 

Well a lot of time has passed. So damned busy with work, but I scored an extra day off! More car time! This is awesome. So to give a update heres whats happened.

The exhaust I mentioned above happened, and it happened well. :) But because of work and a bunch of other "life" things going on, I have yet again been lacking on the pictures and video depo. But I will do that just eventually and probably sometime other when I say "should upload pics and video tomorrow!"... So I am being honest with myself.

The exhaust I am pleased with. Still loud. But not nearly as bad as it used to be. Although around 3-4k rpm, it has that rally sounding rasp then it fades out as it climbs higher... what ever. Its still sounds cool. 8)

But... During my little exhaust job which for the first time when someone has done work to my car has actually gone well and I was satisfied. The guy who worked on my car noticed that I have really bad exhaust leakage on the top end of my system. He then showed me something I knew of, but he made a point.

He told me that after test driving my car, that it wasnt making any boost. And if it did it was barely 2 psi at WOT. Now I knew this... But had some lingering ideas as to why. Well he pointed out that the exhaust manifold gasket was blown all to shit, and the gaskets between the turbo exhaust housing, and the O2 houseing and the downpipe were all blown, then he pointed out that the O2 housing was back off the exhaust housing.

Well knowing how common the gaskets are I kinda got discouraged. But he said that one of the main reasons I am not spooling nearly at all is because of the exhaust mani gasket being pretty much gone. He said there is not enough exhaust pressure to spool the turbo correctly. He said its like trying to blow up a balloon with your mouth an inch away from the opening. It might lift it up and fill up the current form, but it wont expand it because there is not enough pressure.

Being a man who knows his science ;) that sounded good enough for me to believe. So I order the mani gasket.

Now I have no clue how hard it will be to rip the turbo assembly off and replace that. and I have not so many tools atm. And knowing how it hasnt been touch and I live in a beach town, something tells me those bolts and studs may need some help. And I dont have a torch... So I will have to figure out how to do that my own and maybe one off some thick copper gaskets to get by with, or take it back to them. Either way should be fun.

In other news. I bought a new battery cause I suspected the other was dead. And it was. Well new battery worked great for a couple days, then DEAD. So I figured. Alternator! No big deal. So i brought it to Advanced Auto parts. They tested it in the car, and it read, Battery good, alternator bad. So I pulled the alternator, and they bench tested it. And it was! Good...? Yeah so the alternator is passing test with flying colors. And the batter is good... So that means in between. Okay no problem! I was a 12 v tech for years!... I dont have any of my old tools... or more importantly a multimeter... dammit. Okay so to my knowledge there is no fuse or relay for the alternator that I know of. And I cleaned out the circular plug for the alternator, and check to make sure its actually hitting the battery. [check]... hmm... Now anyone have a clue before I go out and get me a new meter?

Any way that is it for todays post/this months... Lets see what my fellow box enthusiast have to say. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:17 pm 

Hey everybody! Finally got around to taking and uploading a video of the sprint!

Well, first things first. The video goes through my car, and explains some of the thing I will be doing with it. And to be honest I dont feel like typing all that much, so I will let the video do all the talking. So take a watch and tell me what you think, and give me some advice. I will be uploading videos and pics at a decent rate from here on out just to document my progress. So stay tuned! Should be fun.

OnepointO
Nate

PS sorry for the 6 min video, but here at teamswift, at least to me, its like watching top gear anytime someone uploads a video of one of our cars. :wink:

http://youtu.be/0IeRqJKu6WE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:08 pm 

Well my personal "Friday" is coming up tomorrow, [I have off Fridays... Thursday is hence my "work Friday"]. So which means that more work and another video of the Sprint is coming soon. Shortly after posting that video most of the "in the way" bits have been moved to reveal the heart of the beast.

Needless to say, I lubed everything up nice and even "tried" to convince a few nuts and bolts from the header and such to play nice and hop into my hands... This worked a few times. But my younger brothers magic strength tore a stud going into the exhaust housing of the turbo clear in half. So that will have to be removed... If not I have another sitting around.

Now something else I happened to notice. If you count the nuts on the exhaust mani starting from the top and work your way across, nuts 3, and 6 or should I say studs as well were gone... Non-existent... I have no idea why, and from my knowledge the car has never been serviced in such a manner... So thats confusing... And also leads me to replace all the stud and nuts from the mani. So if anyone knows where I can source those out, that would be awesome.

So more work, videos, and pictures to come! So as we wait, some advice would be nice on the studs for everything. ;)

onepointO
Nate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:22 pm 
banned and still posting

the exhaust manifold studs are just common m8 x 1,25 pitch x 40mm hardware that you can pick up at auto zone, napa, etc. use flange nuts that match.

personally, i use stainless steel hardware now because i've tired of fighting rusted crap. the last couple of times i re-assembled ihi rhb32 turbos and outlets i used cut sections of 10mm x 1,25 all thread and stainless flange nuts to clamp down the turbo outlet.

it's not like you have to take that stuff apart often, but when you use stainless it makes it easier to do.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 pm 

I think it's pretty darn cool that the factory nuts on the exh. manifold studs
are copper, (though I think I remember there being at least 1 regular bolt
used from the factory, no?). No rust issues there, and they actually hold up quite well.
I remember quite a few times removing the nut and having the stud
come out with it. It's a damn shame they used those (small) crappy soft metal
bolts on everything else like the heat shields. Those will never come out,
they just snap off. By the time they get to the point where they've degraded
enough to snap off, the heat shields toast anyway.

The last couple ones I did I just used regular set screws,
like studs, but have an allen hole in the end and stainless nuts
with washers. They work just fine as the replacement nuts with
the washers provide a bigger clamping area anyway than the OE nuts.
Plenty of copper based anti sieze as well.
I would recommend going with the Victor MLS gasket though,
it's way better than the other style, not to mention reuseable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:15 am 

Hey t3, thanks for the info on that. I will be replacing a lot of hardware with stainless. Living footsteps away from the ocean can put a beating on our cars. So anything I can do to counter act that is a help.

And Jamal, I was actually beating socks and open ended wrenches on the nuts just to get it to grab... But it works!

And as an update, tomorrow morning I start pulling the rest of it off. I HOPE to complete the job this weekend and drive it monday to work. But we will see.

onepointO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:21 am 

Okay so heres an update. lots of pictures... Comments to follow...

Attachments:
File comment: Apart
engine-bay.JPG [137.18 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
exhaust-ports.jpg [124.12 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
exhaust-ports01.JPG [149.58 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
stock-exhaust-mani.JPG [117.52 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
turbo-parts.JPG [141.14 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
Wastegate01.JPG [86.58 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
wastegate02.JPG [98.44 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
new-exhaust-housing.JPG [110.62 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
exhaust-fan.JPG [85.03 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
New-exhaust-mani.JPG [157.96 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
turbo-fan.JPG [79.57 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times
new-tubes.JPG [132.24 KIB]
Downloaded 339 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:31 am 

Okay so yesterday was quite productive. And needless to say it was a great idea that I wanted to replace the exhaust manifold gasket because without that I wouldnt go along and do another thing I was meaning to do for the last i dont know how many years...

So as you can see the exhaust manifold gasket was the least of my worries but its great im actually taking the time to do all of this...

The wastegate... Lets talk about that... As you can see, that "might" be why my car wont build or hold ANY boost... :evil:

But I did have a spare exhaust housing and a new manifold laying around so I think its time to put them to good use. :wink:

I also happen to have some of those pretty blue tubes to remedy a torn up oil return line. So thats good. All I know is that tonight I am changing oil, spark plugs, getting the turbo assembly and all together, and bolting everything back up. As for gutting the pre-cat... Well I dont have the time right now to "un-weld" that fucker from itself. But in time...

So comments and such welcome. Its fuels my progress.

Nate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:13 pm 

Keep up the good work...
Do you see where the exhaust leak was?

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 pm 

Thanks, and yeah, as I mentioned before, 2 of the exhaust studs were missing, and as you can see from the picture it was the same side as the EGR passage. You can tell from the carbon build up outside of where the gasket normally lays. So that was a problem.

As more of a status update, tomorrow [sunday] the car should be complete and put back together for the first time in years having an operating turbo. So that will be refreshing. Basically tomorrow is swapping out parts and putting everything back together again. So wish me luck. I will have more pictures and a video of her running .

in the mean time good night. Busy day tomorrow!

Nate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 pm 

Thanks, and yeah, as I mentioned before, 2 of the exhaust studs were missing, and as you can see from the picture it was the same side as the EGR passage. You can tell from the carbon build up outside of where the gasket normally lays. So that was a problem.

As more of a status update, tomorrow [sunday] the car should be complete and put back together for the first time in years having an operating turbo. So that will be refreshing. Basically tomorrow is swapping out parts and putting everything back together again. So wish me luck. I will have more pictures and a video of her running .

in the mean time good night. Busy day tomorrow!

Nate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:38 am 

That's a tough job, I know from doing it many times.
Good going! Keep at it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:45 pm 

From the looks of the blades on that turbo I'd say it's pooched too. It looks like they've been rubbing and that's no good.

Ken.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 pm 

Thanks for the comments. And Ken actually there is no shaft play, and as of last night, WOW... its good to have the "Turbo" in Turbo Sprint MEAN something again!

So shes all buttoned up and I took her out for a spin. At first it started smoking, which is always fun after all that work, but that was just because of a small crack in a coolant line to the turbo. So that was a quick fix.

So after taking her around the block and seeing that she was boosting better than ever, I also noticed that she was running a bit hot. So after parking her again, I noticed that the lights in the cluster and the radiator fan were both not working. So fuse for one, and well the rad fan not coming on has happened to me before, but I cant remember what I did to remedy that... Well I guess I will look it back up.

Other than that I am beyond over joyed at my accomplishment and will be posting a video soon. But that might not be till the weekend. So comments would be helpful, and if anyone knows how to turn back on my rad fan.... I think it has something to do with the thermostat switch or something crazy but like i said. I cant remember. and its around 1 am at the time of typing this...

So thanks everyone for the comments, be sure to check back for more.

onepointO
Nate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:58 am 

Okay so my work week requires me to be up at 4:45 am and leave my house by 5:30 in order to be to work by 7:30am. And with that said, I dont normally get home till around 8:30 at night or so. So as you can imagine that doesnt leave me much time to tinker or play... But this morning I just HAD to take her out for a spin...

So I got ready real quick, and back my car out and I happened to have a camera on me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gTpVYLH ... ature=plcp

Well the "video" is shit, but the sounds and my random babbling are there. And I felt like sharing that. :lol:

I would also like to note that I never got on it in the video. A little at the end I spooled up to hear the pop off valve do its job, but thats about it. So enjoy some sounds and stuff. And the next time I see the light of day and I am near the Sprint I will post a "video" and not darkness with sound.

And, last time I heard the pop off valve that enthusiastic was when I made a MBC and set it at 11... hmm... But Its back to stock... hmm... interesting...

Oh and no over heating this run... everything seemed to be fine. :D

Well another day... Cant wait for the weekend! Oh and a buddy of mine just bought a Fiat 500 Abarth... I want at it! haha... Sure I will lose... But it should be fun!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 pm 

Nice sound your car is popping out, in my area police would arrest me for illegal exhaust, so i'll install a muffler but will be noisy if pulled up ! Anyway mine is sleeping aside of the garage with a flat parked in the mud.. sad but need to finish my other car so it can pop up back on the street and i'll be ready to pull everything of my old body and buy a new car for the shell since mine is kinda rusty and need plenty of repair !

Mk3 Geo Metro W/ Mk2 G10T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 am 

Hey man thanks for the comments. I personally think it sound better in person. I love hearing that thing run. Something about the feeling I get from this little old car just does it for me. Second to my wife that is... :lol: But yeah idk Im obsessed.

As for you car, you HAVE to get back at it man! haha. But I know how other things can get in the way. But good luck with yours. Get a new shell for that thing and lets see her back on the road.

onepointO
Nate