TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:17 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:35 pm 

Ok so I was making fun of my dads tc the other day and told him I could beat his car around a 2 mile track (blackhawk farms raceway) in a geo metro so I'm going into the army national guard and in six months ill be back and looking for one of these little gems. The metro will be moded as follows ported polished head, angle 3 valves, hot cam, intake, header, full exaust, aluminumflywheel, ud pully, underbody brace, upper strut brace, high torque clutch, radio and entenia removed, other wieght reduction also. So is there anyother good ideas for cost efficat speed. I don't have the skill for a turbo or super or an engine swap. The scion tc has a 2.5l dohc di vct engine that makes 183hp its backed by a six speed manual 18in rims yokohama racing tires and 4 wheel disk brakes but it wieghs 3080 empty do I stand a chance at all? Any better mod I deas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:32 pm 

You'll win if the race involves fuel economy and purchase price.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:43 pm 

you will have no problem beating that Toyota if ya do some very simple and cheap mods. first do a basic tune up and get your metro running good. then make a tube brush guard on the right front that covers the right fender.

Now the secret, when entering turn 1 put him in the wall hard. after the race tell the reporters you didn't mean to wreck him just rattle his cage. :D

on a more serious note no i don't think you do even with all the mod's you have listed. if you want more power than all those listed combined swap in a twin-cam. its not a hard swap and most anyone can do it.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:11 pm 

VR4 wrote:
You'll win if the race involves fuel economy and purchase price.

:P

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:17 pm 

I was considering cheating a little by just getting a swift gti and putting metro badges on it lol. I calulated if I could get the metro to have about 80hp id have the same power to wieght ratio. Not sure I I'm brave (or smart) enouf to mess with a turbo maby in 6 months someone here will be selling a turbo 3 then I could stand a chance. Although I love impossable challenges so I might just be stupid enouf to try to beat him in an na g10 metro anyway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 pm 

Even if you had better power to weight the gearing in the trans is gonna to hold you back. With the mods you listed you'd be able to go over 100mph but not much. Even with a turbo, it's still be a close race.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 am 

I just checked out BlackHawk Farms Raceway and it looks very open with few tight corners, which doesn't bode well for you--you should have challenged him to autocross, where you could easily mop the floor with him with very little investment.

I hope you are going to build a cage in that Metro, because you would have to corner without lifting much. Is the deal that you can do whatever you want to the Metro and the Tc stays stock? Certainly race rubber on wider wheels is easy to do and will give you way better grip, but that is likely not enough. Transplant a 1.3 either SOHC with a cam and some work or even better, a DOHC and the tables may turn.

I am very fond of repeating that the old adage "there is no substitute for cubic inches" is bullsh!t, because there is really no substitute for lack of mass.

Which one of these arguments is correct depends very heavily on the length the straights. While driver skill is obviously a huge factor, the lack of mass argument was demonstrated nicely at the autocross pad yesterday:

The fastest vehicle was a 125cc shifter kart, turning high 38's. Then there were some Formula Ford B Modified race cars around 42, about the same times as a modified Lotus Elise in A prepared. A little slower, a Dodge Viper and some Miata's were turning similar times around 47 on the same course. I was slower still at 49.23 seconds in my Swift GT with el-cheapo suspension mods, but I beat the stock Mustangs, an Infinity, some Neons and an F Modified VW-based race car. A few weeks ago on crap tires and stock suspension I was running with Honda S2000s because the course favored my car (others see a slalom, I see a straightaway...) and they were having a hard time with handling set up.

Some even more dramatic numbers:

Speed through 600ft slalom as tested by Road & Track and MotorTrend magazines, respectively:

Ferrari Enzo = 73 mph

Jackson Racing modified 1991 Suzuki Swift GT (Koni Yellows, stock springs, strut braces, poly bushings, wider/stickier than stock street rubber) = 73.1 mph

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 pm 

The only deal was that it was a geo and my dad is very unlikly to mod his tc I plan on getting every suspension brace possable but I'm not realy up for a cage I would rather it looked more stock as I will still have to use this car on a weekly basis. And if it looks stock it would be a far more humiliating defiet for him and more bareable for me when I lose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 pm 

How long have you been racing road course or auto x?

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:55 pm 

My performance driving skills are more of the street varity but I'm trying to get away from that and into track racing do you know of any better tracks neer where I live zip 61047 black hawk was the only thing good I could find

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 pm 

I would highly recommend starting with autocross first. Much cheaper (and safer) than track days and in many ways just as challenging. Try it. Maybe you can convince your Dad to compete that way instead--you would have a much better chance of beating him.

Below is the link to your local SCCA Region that hosts the events--there's actually one this weekend at the Route 66 Speedway parking lot.

http://scca-chicago.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:24 pm 

Thanks man I will check it out when I get back from boot camp and my mos training in six months but this weekend I've got plans cause I leve next Tuesday ill save the link and my account info for this sight and ill be back on as soon as I can as to absorb all the info this sight has to offer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:36 am 

EngineWhisperer wrote:
you will have no problem beating that Toyota if ya do some very simple and cheap mods. first do a basic tune up and get your metro running good. then make a tube brush guard on the right front that covers the right fender.

Now the secret, when entering turn 1 put him in the wall hard. after the race tell the reporters you didn't mean to wreck him just rattle his cage. :D

Pure gold!!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 am 

I find this to be jokes..... i have a 2011 tc and a 91 suzuki swift GT. My swift leaves my TC like it was standing still.
Granted the swift is boosted running 10psi. However the TC will sooner hopefully rather then later receive the same treatment.

Boost its a disease once you catch the bug, watch out.

cheers
steve

Turbo lag? huh? nah! just traction lag :censor: :furious:

psssshh! don't tell anyone :ez_evil:

BTW GTi = Great Tiny Import :P

Image, Image

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:07 pm 

I'M afraid I must Agree with Metro power, Your solution lies with the old adage. Its not the car they race. Its the car they Think they race. :twisted: :twisted: (we used to call them sleepers in the old days) I offer the following recipe: Money being a factor.
Start with a 89/91 GT/GTI ($2500.00 Should do it)
1) remove Emblems, Hood, Headlights, Taillights, Both bumper assemblies. Ground effects, Personally,I'd leave the Rear hatch alone with the spoiler as a subtle hint. (Possibly sell old parts here on teamswift to recover expenses)
2) Install XFI Front and rear Bumpers (All Black)along with Hood and Headlights. Taillights (Go to Car-Part.Com and get parts in color so it should be PLug and Play) everything bolts on or plugs in(Use LSI Metro Headlights) $200.00 or less
3) Pick up 5-hole 14" Hubcaps from a 92-97 Aerostar ($20.00 set) Fill in embossed "Ford" Logo with spot putty , Sand and spray bomb white or silver, Install "Geo" World emblems($20.00 set on E-bay) and put on car, (They fit Good and Hide the Rear Disc Brakes :twisted: )
4) Install Chrome "GEO" and "Metro" and "world" emblems on rear hatch to cover scars left by removal of Suzuki and Swift emblems.
5) Install "Metro XFI" Emblems on doors ($20.00 per side)
6) Quality tires, Poly suspension components and upgraded struts would help (and Cost :( :( ) alot, as would a one to three day driving school.
7) Several evenings spent out picking on the local kids with Hondas and they're Fart cans in Back, to get your shift points right ,can only help.

Let us know what happens.

I've followed this recipe 3 times already and it is rather slick especially when driven by an old fart like me. (I still have two of these cars, but now in "Yenko Stinger" Livery and not XFI "sleeper" Mode)

Best wishes, (Jonathan)

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 95% Done.(Clean SW car) Summer driver
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/P-wdws, Resto-Mod,80% done.(Clean SW car) CUst. Int. Next
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sdn Ford Kona Blue 85k 1.3 SOHC 5sp
1995 Metro LSI 4Dr Blue 74k (Loaner)